GM vs. SANGSIN brakes pads

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

GM vs. SANGSIN brakes pads

Post by MMamdouh »

i went for a brakes pads replacment job today and bought a set of OEM GM pads costing 90 LE (15.50USD), my old pads were SANGSIN pads costing 40LE (6.90USD)... so far so good.

when i was looking at the empty GM pads box i came across this shocking remark: MADE BY SANGSIN :shock: now how the hell does the very same factory produce 2 differently branded brakes pads with such big price difference?? we are talking more than twice the price here.

is this a scam from GM?? selling us the same product that SANGSIN produces and charging us 50 LE more just for the name on the box?? or is their some real difference in the material and performance of the GM pads?? is it possible to have such cost justified quality difference??

basicly i have used the SANGSIN pads for three consecutive times and it performs rather well... it is just like the OEM pads but it doesn't make as much dust as the OEM, only down side for the SANGSIN pads is that they only last a bit over 8,000 Kms.

i can hardly see how the GM pads will be twice as good as the SANGSIN pads performance wise... maybe it will make it up in the service period and actually hit the 18,000 Kms of service that every body tells me they are getting on the OEM pads (both my OEM pads lasted approximatly that but back then the OEM pads were DAEWOO pads and they costed 130 LE (22.40 USD) so i din't buy them no more.

anyways to cut it short; here is my question: is the same pads factory able to produce two brands of pads with such - assumed - quality difference? or is it just a rip off based on the GM logo??

i will keep you all posted on how much kms will them GM pads last.

MMamdouh
Last edited by MMamdouh on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

gm sells daewoo's for WAY more than they are worth :lol: :roll:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... in my country GM parts are way cheaper than the daewoo ones, for example:

Fuel filter: Daewoo 65 LE vs GM 35 LE
Fuel injectors: Daewoo 1300 LE vs GM 750 LE
Spark plug cables: Daewoo 135 LE vs GM 85 LE
Brakes pads: Daewoo 130 LE vs GM 90 LE
TPS sensor: Daewoo 185 LE vs GM 125 LE

NOTE: (1 USD = 5.80 LE)

so GM parts are cheaper than Daewoo parts... my concern is are GM pads just an insanly over priced SANGSIN pads? or does this price difference have a logical explanation that is directly related to the product quality.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

about 7k kms on the GM pads and they are almost worn out.

i guess this si clear evedence that the GM pads made by sangsin are no different than the sangsin pads at all... i got a set of sangsin pads for my future replacment and paid less than half what the GM pads costed me.

MMamdouh
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Damn, 7,000 kilometers and your brake pads are worn out? How the hell is that possible? I drive exclusively in the city (Short trips constant stopping) and I can still get 30,000 + miles on a set of pads.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Ummm... i will explain it that way, i use the brakes so late that if i used it any later i would jump over the car in front of me not to mention that i keep on accelerating till the point were even the hardest braking won't stop me on time.

results:

very poor fuel economy
excessive consumption of brakes pads
excessive consumption of tires
excessive consumption of rotors
one accedent
one horrifying spin
a milion near misses

conclusion: i am crazy and i got to stop this insanity... i am not proud of it.

the best i got out of my pads were both first and second OEM sets... the first lasted 22,000 kms and the second 18,000 kms, afterwards it was all in the 7 to 8k kms.

MMamdouh

MMamdouh
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Now though I'm not Grandma driver either, I'm not quite as insane as you, but generally if I give someone a ride, they aren't asking for another one. I still think that 7000 km, an oil change for some people, is a little excessive for brake pads. I don't think you can attribute that to your driving. Maybe you should try some OEM Daewoo Pads for your car. As far as I know, they are the highest-quality replacement I have used without buying performance pads. They also last me many miles without fault.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

their is no daewoo OEM now... its only GM and it is the one sold in the dealership, those cost more than twice as much as the SANGSIN and they last almost the same.

i thought i was eating pads due to the old, wrapped rotors but my new brembos didn't improve my pads consumption at all... maybe 'cause i have smaller brakes i have to do more braking effort to stop the car and accordingly use it much faster... i really don't know.

MMamdouh
BeaArthur

Post by BeaArthur »

Most car companies have other manufacturers make their parts. If not right away then once the cars are a few years old. Ex: VW uses bosal exhaust as replacement parts on the older models. Sangsin is able to sell them without going through the dealer chain and so many middle men that their parts are cheaper, even though they're the exact same part.
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

MMamdouh wrote:results:

very poor fuel economy
one accedent
one horrifying spin
a milion near misses

I love your self analysis. :)
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

MMamdouh wrote:Ummm... i will explain it that way, i use the brakes so late that if i used it any later i would jump over the car in front of me not to mention that i keep on accelerating till the point were even the hardest braking won't stop me on time.

results:

very poor fuel economy
one accedent
one horrifying spin
a milion near misses

the best i got out of my pads were both first and second OEM sets... the first lasted 22,000 kms and the second 18,000 kms, afterwards it was all in the 7 to 8k kms.

MMamdouh

MMamdouh

when my freind served in korea he said the taxi drivers are more insane then that.. he said they get in crashes and dont even stop. he also seen a few people get hit and the taxi never stoped.. and when you told the driver to hurry he would jump the curb and drive on sidewalks talk about dedicated taxi service :roll:
jurupa

Post by jurupa »

DomWoo wrote:
MMamdouh wrote:Ummm... i will explain it that way, i use the brakes so late that if i used it any later i would jump over the car in front of me not to mention that i keep on accelerating till the point were even the hardest braking won't stop me on time.

results:

very poor fuel economy
one accedent
one horrifying spin
a milion near misses

MMamdouh

MMamdouh

when my freind served in korea he said the taxi drivers are more insane then that.. he said they get in crashes and dont even stop. he also seen a few people get hit and the taxi never stoped.. and when you told the driver to hurry he would jump the curb and drive on sidewalks talk about dedicated taxi service :roll:
Do they have seat belts in the taxies? But that does sound fun tho as it will be a real life bumper car ride. I know I am on the crazy side, but I don't drive that crazy.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

7665 kms is what i could pull out of the GM pads which is the same as the average i get from the SANGSIN pads, i have replaced the GMs and i am back with SANGSIN 'cause i don't see why i should pay more than twice the price for the same product.

MMamdouh
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

DomWoo wrote:

Yeah, last time I went to Mexico the town i went to (which was actually really nice) the taxi drivers were crazy. They didnt get in accidents or anything while i was in the car but they would hop a curb if you told them too
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama