Lanos 1.5 Front wheel bearing

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

J_Elliott

Lanos 1.5 Front wheel bearing

Post by J_Elliott »

Hi,

Having some difficulties with the front wheel bearing on my 2001 1.5l Lanos hatchback

I cannot find the correct wheel bearing for the front end.

I have tried the one listed though partssource - the outer diameter was too big to fit into the spindle.

Same thing for the bearing from Solvit (autorized daewoo parts seller direct from Korea)

Same thing for the bearing that my mechanic ordered from too.

I've cross checked it at several online parts retailers and it comes up with the wrong one too.

I also had the guys at partsource try the wheel bearing for the 89 Pontiac Lemans 2.0 - it comes up with the same part as above - too big again.

Any help on this would be phenomenal as this is my only set of wheels.

btw - the part number from National Bearing that is too big is 513113
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the bearing has to be pressed in adn the hub pressed in to it. so it should seem like its not the right size, but it prolly is

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
J_Elliott

Post by J_Elliott »

thats what i thought too, but this thing is at least 3mm bigger all the way around

its weird
J_Elliott

Post by J_Elliott »

the saga of the bearing continues

so we looked at the old bearing before pressing it out and it seemed ok, so we put the hub back into it and mounted it on the car, NOW the wheel feels too tight - will turn by hand, but not easily

this is getting frustrating!!!!

any thoughts?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

J_Elliott wrote:thats what i thought too, but this thing is at least 3mm bigger all the way around

its weird
On a french site there are two different front bearing dimensions for the Lanos (in Europe!).

From Delphi: dia ext 64mm, dia int 33.9mm, L 37mm.
Ref Opel: 1603192
Ref Vauxhall: 90279331, 90486458 (I don't know if it's two parts per bearing)

From Febi-Bilstein: dia ext 72mm, dia int 39mm, L 37mm.
Ref Opel: 1603191
Ref Vauxhall: 90486460

Carefully check with your bearing. It's up to you.

Daniel
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

J_Elliott wrote:the saga of the bearing continues

so we looked at the old bearing before pressing it out and it seemed ok, so we put the hub back into it and mounted it on the car, NOW the wheel feels too tight - will turn by hand, but not easily

this is getting frustrating!!!!

any thoughts?
There is drag from gearbox/differential. You should have tested for free rotation prior fitting on C/V joint/ axle shaft.

Daniel
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Even still, it's prettttttty easy to spin by hand when it's off the floor. Even with all the drag from the diff. If it's hard at all to turn, as in, you need real effort to turn it, somethings not right.
SAZ
---------------------
J_Elliott

success

Post by J_Elliott »

ok - not sure what the first garage did wrong, but i found a local mechanic who didn't mind me being in the shop with him while we worked on the car together, in fact he encouraged it.

I brought along a print out of the front end assembly from my Lanos service manual too.

We tore the spindle and strut off again, checked clearances and everything looked good.

Determined that the problem all along was not the bearing or the hub, but the lower ball joint was so bad that the larger disc that I installed was actually rubbing against the spindle where the lower ball joint mounts.

We replaced the ball joint and BAM - everything is good again, the wheel moves freely, the steering is much better and the 'bad cv joint sound' (as suggested by the first mechanic) is gone.

Happy trails are here again.

Thanks again to all who sent me suggestions and advice.

Cheers,
Jeremy