Nubaroo`s brake upgrade

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubaroo
Expert

Nubaroo`s brake upgrade

Post by Nubaroo »

Hi there all.

I found these at one of our brake repair centres :p :p :p The cost was R 895 for both :D :D

Fitted them to the car without too much trouble - they are Opel rotors but by using 2 x 6mm spacers they fit perfectly on a Daewoo. I could have some propper Daewoo ones made up but I did not want to wait, and I have been using Opel rotors on my car forever.

I bedded the existing Ferodo pads on the rotors by braking gently the first 100KM, and then did a couple of HARD stops from +- 100KM/H - EXCELLENT BITE ON THESE ROTORS!!! Same stopping power as standard rotors at approx. half the pedal pressure.

Unfortunately I could not test their stoping abillities from 200KM+ for "humming" and vibrations as my car`s diff said BYE BYE before I could test them at high speed braking - the main reason I bought them :cry:

Diff should be replaced soon and will test them and keep u posted
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

very nice man.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Thanks - how is the new gearbox doing for you???

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Be careful beating on those. I had a set on my Lanos and after a little over a year, I developed hairline cracks around the drills. If you take care of them like you would a normal rotor you'll be fine...if you punish them like I did mine...you'll have to change them pretty quickly.

But hell yeah, they are a GREAT break upgrade!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

BosnianLanos wrote:Be careful beating on those. I had a set on my Lanos and after a little over a year, I developed hairline cracks around the drills. If you take care of them like you would a normal rotor you'll be fine...if you punish them like I did mine...you'll have to change them pretty quickly.

But hell yeah, they are a GREAT break upgrade!

werent you using green stuff pads though? i heard they are really hard on rotors.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

If I can get a year out of these new rotors I will be very happy.

My standard ones used to last only +- 3 months and developed hairline cracks - and the braking capabillities were crap

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Greenstuff pads are very very hard on rotors. A friend of mine had rotors he'd used for a few hundred mile, and when he put the green stuff pads in it warped them the first few days they were in. Also wear down the rotors badly.
SAZ
---------------------
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Nubaroo wrote:Thanks - how is the new gearbox doing for you???
I have everything here, just waiting for my shop to be free to do the swap over. They've been really busy lately.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

If I ever get my hands on one of those I will probably also get a shop to do the conversion - seems like a lot of work getting it fitted properly - I would rather leave it to guys that have done this conversion before?? Keep us posted

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ok now i have some questions

those are standard lanos measurments rotors... which is the same as nubira rotors except for the distance from the rim mounting surface to the backside of the rotor... the nubira rotors are 6mm wider

you have used 6mm spacers to make up for the difference but the question is where did you put them spacers?? when i was doing this the other way arround i would have had to put a spacer between the rotor and the hub to move the nubira rotor 6mm to the outside to fit under the lanos caliper

with your setup you would have to move the rotor inwards 6mm or the caliper outwards 6mm and thats what i can't figure out how it was done with the spacers so please explain

difference between lanos and nubira rotor:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

I put a 6mm spacer between my caliper and the mounting bracket on the shock - thus moving my caliper 6mm and centraling the rotor nicely

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

oh i got it now... i was confused as the setup on the lanos is slightly different

on the lanos the bracket is mounted on the inner side of the shock (facing engine bay) but on the nubira the bracket is on the outer side (facing the rotor) so on a lanos if you put a spacer on the bracket it would put the bracket even further from the rotor and make the situation even worse and this is what i was confused about

if you turn things arround then the 6mm spacer on a lanos caliper would allow the use of a nubira rotor on a lanos... only problem is that when i did so the nubira rotor was rubbing on the shock absorber.

the spacer on a nubira would shift the bracket to the outside and compancate the 6mm difference in rotor dimensions and make the conversion possible... my only worry is the tension on the studs holding the caliper... they are subject to more forces now.... right?

good work man.

MMamdouh
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Yes I am sure there are more forces on the bolts - also the standard bolts are then a little short. Therefore I upgraded the bolts to 6mm longer ones - high tenstile steel ones. I was worried initially but I have abused the brakes for +- 200 000KM`s and everything holds up nicely. The reason for the change was that the Nubira rotors here in SA are about R 500.00 each for standard ones, and I can get the "Opel" ones for about R 120.00 each!!!

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

once again... good job bro

MMamdouh