Rear drum brake job

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Rear drum brake job

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

Due to a sticky wheel cylinder and a roaring noise while driving

I have to make the complete job: drums, cylinders, shoes.

Pls correct me if my rebuild sequence is wrong somewhere.

1) with all new pieces in place except drums I release parking brake adjuster nut till shoe lever stop is against edge of shoe web.
2) With drums and wheels fitted, system purged, I step on brake pedal till I don't hear the adjuster clicks anymore.
3) With parking brake released I set the adjuster nut till wheels are hard to turn by hand.
4) I release adjuster nut to freeing wheels.

Is that right?
Something forget?
Some special tricks to know?
How many clicks for the parking brake?

Tks,

Daniel
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't think our rear brakes are self adjustable so you'd have to adjust the shoes by screwing the adjuster nut on the axel between the two shows till the drum can barly fit

e brake adjustment is just as you said

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The rear drum setup is "self-adjustable", but it does so in a very poor way. The way I was told to adjust rear shoes on the Kadett/Nexia (by mechanic), was to set the adjuster by hand to the point, where the drum was turning with a little of restriction. If you set too much friction, shoes will keep constantly rubbing on the drums and cause overheat. Then drive the car and perform about 10 slow-downs from 60km/h to full stop. Then, drive the car backwards, and press the brake HARD number of times (10 or so) until the car comes to stop. I went through this procedure a few times, and it worked quite well. Don't forget to bleed the entire system, if required.

Post by Daniel »

Oooooookay.
Thanks for your advices. Because I was quite "uncomfortable" with the procedure described in section 4E "brake adjustment". It seemed to me that something was wrong in the description.

Daniel
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

GsiTurbo wrote:The rear drum setup is "self-adjustable", but it does so in a very poor way. The way I was told to adjust rear shoes on the Kadett/Nexia (by mechanic), was to set the adjuster by hand to the point, where the drum was turning with a little of restriction. If you set too much friction, shoes will keep constantly rubbing on the drums and cause overheat. Then drive the car and perform about 10 slow-downs from 60km/h to full stop. Then, drive the car backwards, and press the brake HARD number of times (10 or so) until the car comes to stop. I went through this procedure a few times, and it worked quite well. Don't forget to bleed the entire system, if required.
will try that... have had hell from the manual adjustment process

MMamdouh
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Well. The job is done with the following mods with the help of GsiTurbo.

1) with all new pieces in place except drums I release parking brake adjuster nut till shoe lever stop is against edge of shoe web.
2) With drums and wheels fitted, system purged, I step on brake pedal till I don't hear the adjuster clicks anymore. Took about 30x.

Here comes the trick from GsiTurbo: "Then drive the car and perform about 10 slow-downs from 60km/h to full stop. Then, drive the car backwards, and press the brake HARD number of times (10 or so) until the car comes to stop."

3) With parking brake at second click turn it's adjuster nut till shoes just drag on drums. Check that maximum lever travel is about 6 more clicks.
4) Release parking brake and check for free rotation.
Spider
Expert

Thanks for the information !

Post by Spider »

This would make a great "How-To and Modifications"
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I have had a look to the Espero service manual that "canvas" has put on rapidshare :D . The drum brake adjustement is so straightforward that I'll adopt it.

Daniel