odd sound

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Scorpius

odd sound

Post by Scorpius »

Hello,
my nubira is making an odd sound while driving, as if I'm driving on rocks (how it makes a loud gravel sound)
only we're driving on regular roads.

Is it possible that something around the wheel or one/or two of my brake pads are messed up?

I have no clue, can anyone help?
2000 Nubira
Spider
Expert

Some tests you could try.....

Post by Spider »

If you want to isolate which wheels the sound coming from?
Get your car up on blocks (be safe) start it, put it in gear and see if the bad sound is coming from the drive wheels. Try this with a helper in the car and you close to the wheel and listening. Also, have your helper try the brakes while you listen. If the front wheels seem ok ? Than shut off the engine and hand spin the rear wheels (one at a time) to see if you can get any sound.
You can get faster rear wheel rotation by coasting for a brief period of time, at say, 30 mph in neutral*
on a quite-isolated-remote-smooth-straight-paved-safe-road (now, thats a mouthful) and get your window down and listen to the wheels.
If they sound good ? Pull the e-brake up slowly as your listening.
Again, with your helper listening on there side of the car.

You could also do this test by getting up to speed, go to neutral* and switch off your ignition but LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION and don't lock the steering wheel !!!
:roll:

(* if an auto transmission be careful not to go into reverse!!! )

A gravel sound could be worn front pads contacting the disc/s or worn rear shoes contacting the drum/s.

Please practice safety when you do these test's ! test in good dry weather, daylight, use your headlights and emergency flashers.

Good luck
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Check your wheel bearings, and the bushes in and around the wishbones, aka the balljoint, the horseshoe clamp one at the back, and the droplinks. Also check rear wheel bearings and the bushes in the rear suspension arm. All you need to do for this is jack up either side, shake the wheels from top to bottom and see if there's play in them. They shouldnt move at all.
SAZ
---------------------
Scorpius

Post by Scorpius »

I wish I could prop it up but I only have a rinky dinky jack that came with the car ::grr::
I need a bigger jack.

thank you!!
2000 Nubira
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Use that then, it doesnt need to be a big ramp to lift it up, just jack the car up at the 4 jack points, trying one wheel at a time and having a look under. Just make sure your jacks safe to get under neath. If it's a scissor jack i'd NEVER get under a car when its held up by one of them.

Never ever ever ever ever.
SAZ
---------------------
Scorpius

Post by Scorpius »

Yeah it's a scissor jack
2000 Nubira
Scorpius

Post by Scorpius »

Ok, So heres the latest. It's been a snowy crappy winter, snow everywhere and this car is making the sounds. but as soon as I'm going out to buy brake pads, the snow has melted away and the noise has ceased....So maybe it wassnt the brake pads?

What could make this happen?
2000 Nubira
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Scorpius wrote:Ok, So heres the latest. It's been a snowy crappy winter, snow everywhere and this car is making the sounds. but as soon as I'm going out to buy brake pads, the snow has melted away and the noise has ceased....So maybe it wassnt the brake pads?

What could make this happen?
Your weather conditions and your lack of a safe jack and stands leads me to think that you would probably be better off just taking you car in to a reputable wheel and brake shop. Ask them to evaluate it and give you an estimate for repairs. Than you will know what you need to do or have them do.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison