Brakes making a horrible grinding noise and lots of grease

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Wappy

Brakes making a horrible grinding noise and lots of grease

Post by Wappy »

Hello again

Yet another problem with my lanos

Nearly every time i break i get a horrible grinding noise. it soounds as thought its coming from the front of the car its happend since i got the car and i have replaced the front brakes and its made no change, it now seams to be getting worse and the noise getting louder, so i took the wheel off 20 mins ago and i have found grease everywhere on the drivers side front wheel, photo after its cleaned up at the bottom, it looks to have a slight nick in and as such just flicked out the grease as im driving :(, but i've checked the bereaks and still no luck... Could they be the rear breaks?

So my 2 questions ho easy is it to replace the rubber joint on the front wheel, and what could be causing the noise nearly every time i break.

Note the breaks have been making the noise long before the joint cracked

Many Thanks for reading and i hope you lot can help.

Wappy

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i think i see the problem for the noise. looks like your dust shield is touching the rotor. just pry it back a bit and all should be good with the noise. hopefully.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

lanos2001 wrote:i think i see the problem for the noise. looks like your dust shield is touching the rotor. just pry it back a bit and all should be good with the noise. hopefully.

nick

If it was it would make a scraping/wooshing noise, alllll the time, not a grinding noise only under braking.

First thing that came to my mind was a warped disk, but you said you replaced your brakes. Did you let them bed in before undergoing heavy braking?
Not trying to insult your intelligence m8, but did you replace disks and pads? Grinding noises usually indicate somethings down to the metal.

But seeing as you said the cv joint has been leaking grease, maybe the grinding noise is metal on metal in the joint? All it is is ball bearings in sockets, don't know why it would only do it when braking. Does it do it when you turn?

Are your calipers tight? Grinding noise could be your calipers vibrating up and down a few mill under braking as the calipers gripping the disk but is able to move the slightest bit.

It could be the back brakes, it could be a lot of things. Where do you think the noise is coming from?

Best thing to do is, get the car up on ramps, get under it and go over everything, tighten bolts around the wishbone and the strut and see if the noise continues, if the noise is coming from the front.

The rubber joint is easy to change, all it is, is 2 jublie clips, although you might have to seperate the ball joint from the drive shaft to get the rubber back on. I can't remember what way we done it last time one was changed...

Besta luck, let us know if you find anything.
SAZ
---------------------
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

If it was it would make a scraping/wooshing noise, alllll the time, not a grinding noise only under braking.

damn you're right. guess i didn't read the post thoroughly. sorry :oops:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Scorpius

Post by Scorpius »

I am currently having the same problem with my Nubira, getting it checked tomorrow for what it is
could be brake pad, cv joint, ect like you guys and/or girls have said.

and I need to fix my sway bar link, and I need a new stud and bolt for the wheel.
Yeah tons of fun here.

But anyways, mine giving off the same sounds and everything but today after a long while the noise suddenly stopped..
anyone know why it would stop?
2000 Nubira