Abs Light on constantly! BUT NO ERROR CODES!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Thans you two.. right the day of truth!!

going to the scrappers later (Want to be back for the GRAND FINAL LEEDS FTW)

right i've just taken off the real wheel of my car to have a look and would i be correct in thinking that the ABS SENSOR is the tiny little clip thing that goes into the wheel hub? or is it in the entire wheel hub.

Beacuse from what i can see that would mean i need to replace the sensor on both the rear tyers as there both connected into the same connector?

this is what i get the inpresion off from the service manual in section 7F - 200

and also there is something said there about replacing the wheel hub assembely???

AGGHHHH!!!!!

im confuesd... if its a swap if that cable i recon i could get one from the breakers for about 10 quid (i love a good haggle after all i am from yorkshire ;) )

Any help would as normal be very much appreciated ;)
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Ive come to the conclusion that the sensore must be inside the hub....

Now i have one question before i attempt to do further damage to the car. is the rear sensor easy to get to and remove?

is it a case of take of the hub assembely and its there just take of a few bolts ect or is i slightly more complicated?

Many Thanks

Wappy

Edit:

I've done a search and i can only find this one post on this

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ear+sensor
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

From what I've understood from section 4F-200 hub and speed sensor are in one piece on rear wheels only. Are you sure the fault is not coming from a bad contact in connectors? Did you tried to read error code with the Scantool? That could save you time and money.

Daniel
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Thanks Daniel

Well the chevrolet dealer said that the wires were fine and it was the sensor at fault, and ive no reason to not belive as he recomended i get it done else where due to the cost.

As for the scan tool, i've been thinking of getting one but im not 100% whitch to buy as im not sure if it will reset error codes (LIKE THE AIRBAG ect) because 50 -80 quid is a sound investment but they all seam to say they only do engin control ect and the od one spesifies abs for other makes ect

and thanks for spotting my typo yep it was 4f not 7 as i put sorry but looking at 2d-12 its telling you how to remove the entire assembaly aswell as the sensor :s but i can't find anywhere NOT EVEN A PICTURE of a rear sensor! and if it can be removed sepratly.

Wappy
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Wappy,

All I know about ABS is from service manual since I don't have ABS on my Nubira. So I would say you to follow your dealer advice since it seems that the rear speed sensor is integrated in the rear hub and has no specific reference in the parts manual. (Well you know it happens sometimes to me too to repair "unserviceable" items, but for brakes I wouldn't even try it :? ).

For error codes we have to know that there are two kinds of them. First type are error codes that *must by law* being readable by anyone having the "general purpose" code reader. Like the one's you can buy on -bay. The readable codes are generally "pollution" related. The other type of error codes are more "confidential" (i.e. classified) and can only be read by the dedicated factory code reader.

Daniel
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Daniel just a quick Q, using a USB adapter dongle reader and some software would you be able to read the "confidential"? just a thought there!

Right the rear abs sensor went to the scrap yard and luckliy they had several Woos the only lanos they had diden't have ABS :( they had sevral Nubira's and Leganza's but they were difrent to mine they only had a Nexia that had the same type of sensors and after taking all the breaks off and thoses springs are fun NOT it came to taking the seosor out and the nuts were RUSTED ON GOOD AND PROPPER!! they just wouldent budge 1 tin of WD40 and 1 hour of eldow grease got me no where, tho my hammer got some good use ;).

but after all that im gonna get a garadge to fir it as i don't want to risk it BUT i've got to find somewhere where i can buy a rear sensor all the other breakers dont have daewoos in :(

EDIT!!!

IS THIS WHAT IM AFTER?

EDIT 2

If i dissconnect the Battery will it reset the ABS Error Code?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Wappy wrote:Daniel just a quick Q, using a USB adapter dongle reader and some software would you be able to read the "confidential"? just a thought there!

That would be possible but I'm unable to write software to do this. I just use the paper clip method. Take a little time to read through this: http://elmelectronics.com/obdindex.html .

Right the rear abs sensor went to the scrap yard and luckliy they had several Woos the only lanos they had diden't have ABS :( they had sevral Nubira's and Leganza's but they were difrent to mine they only had a Nexia that had the same type of sensors and after taking all the breaks off and thoses springs are fun NOT it came to taking the seosor out and the nuts were RUSTED ON GOOD AND PROPPER!! they just wouldent budge 1 tin of WD40 and 1 hour of eldow grease got me no where, tho my hammer got some good use ;).

but after all that im gonna get a garadge to fir it as i don't want to risk it BUT i've got to find somewhere where i can buy a rear sensor all the other breakers dont have daewoos in :(

EDIT!!!

IS THIS WHAT IM AFTER?

That "looks" like the hub you search for. Go to the junk yard with yours to compare.

EDIT 2

If i dissconnect the Battery will it reset the ABS Error Code?

Don't know :oops: .
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Thanks for the Link VERY intresting reading from there, basicly the "confidential" Codes (Daewoo's) or any other manufactures individual codes are not on general relese they are kept "WITHIN THE COMPANY" so to speak and as such canot be put into general reades. A toyota errorcode for abs error might be one number it could be totaly diffrent for the woo, and from what i can see only one company has made there public and thats Hyundi (Aparently) so other that engin error codes its a no go for anything else (Airbag, ABS etc etc). :( shame that would have been very handy
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Just talking with a mecanic im getting it all replaced with a new wheel assembly+abs and 12 months warranty, all for 110 not bad and it includes fitting! but as to the ABS warning light i was told (he's not 100%) but the Warning light re the sensor should go out after the sensor if fixed? as the abs doesent keep the light on if it has history Unlike a Airbag.

Can any one please confirm this?
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Before going to the trouble and expense of changing hubs / sensors would it not be best to check that the sensors are actually faulty? Especially as you say in your earlier post you believe the abs fault occurred since you had the ecu wiring problems. Ideally an oscilloscope is needed to check the waveform pattern of the sensors but even a cheap digital multimeter probing the sensor as you jack up and rotate each wheel in turn will usually give an indication if a sensor is bad.

I believe ABS fault codes are only stored in memory if an ABS fault also causes the "BRAKE" warning light to come on.
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

wappy, im not sure what u mean exactly but as i understanded from ur question, NO the ABS is not like the airbag, which means that once u change the sensors and turn on the ignition key, the ABS indicator lamp should light on for a few seconds then turn of again as it usually does in the normal cases when there is no problem, which means it doesnt need to get fixed anyways by the analyser tools to turn off the lamp
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Thanks you two

you both answerd my question spot on, ;) so all well the light should go off after the change. But as for testing the sensors not sure how you do it but as the dealer said the wiring was fine it only leaves one area left the sensor itself.... but the question has gone through my head re the bad wiring and how could it damage the sensor, im not sure but then again im no mechanic.

Wappy

Thanks for everyones help. to date
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

ur welcome man, tell us the news ;)
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

right it dident work.

after a short trip to the daewoo place to reset the ecu and was told the fault still exsists :( he said it could be the wires , lol

any way after a short argument i left.

any way today.... followed section 4F-44 .. tested the old sensor and it works so does the current one ;) got to section 23 of the fault finding and hit a snag....... i cant find j1 i followed the sensor wire till it reached the ebcm and i was shocked to find it leads to a black connector in the pump [its black and connected to the pump].

i noticed my abs unit is different to the one in the diagram, and we dont appear to have a ebcm.

Has my daewoo got a diffrent diagrams to work too.

Wappy
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

Wappy, without having to reset your ECU, if u solved the problem u will find that the ABS lamp will turn off by it self without restarting the ECU...

About the ABS harness, ABS wires go through every harness in the car starting from the floor harness and the dashboard harness and the tank harness and the harness leading to under the hood to the ABS master module (BOSCH modules only) cuz Bosch has an internal control unit attached to the module in the engine bay, there is another kind of ABS which has an external control unit and this is located behind the dashboard...

the tank harness connects the rear two ABS sensors to that black socket in the tank which u mentioned, and this socket is connected to the rest of the harness in the floor, and its connected to the harness in the dashboard then to the module in the engine bay...