which 1?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I don't understand what you are saying.

Sure you could bolt another 4T40E from some American car, but I don't see what you accomplish with that. It would still be the same 4T40E that came with our cars, as that is a GM built tranmission and really has absolutely nothing to do with any Daewoo manufacturing. I don't think you can use any other automatic transmission without fairly major modifications and a nice supply of cash. And again, a full conversion from automatic to manual is in the neighborhood of $1000 if you DIY, and in the neighborhood of $4000-$5000 if you have a mechanic do it. It isn't really worth it.

Basically, the only automatic transmission available to you in America without major modifications to the mounts, bellhousing, and wiring, is the 4T40E, which is a great transmission and I'm still surprised you have so many problems at such low mileage.
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

i believe the late model chevy cavaliers use the same auto tranny as the lanos, so any of those cavalier tranny mods probably work on the lanos a/trans.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i was wondering about the other trans because if i can get a wrecked car with a compairable trans (only in manual) i would be able to do the conversion at lower cost, i like my car (except for the trans) and i still owe $ on it so i cant sell it, so if i just do the mods i want i will be REALLY happy with the car. i dont blame the daewoo designers for my problems, i blame myself cause im really hard on my car, and i would be able to do the swap myself if i have all the parts, i am fairly good with my hands, i am just not sure of what will work, i have no problem doing the work i just need to know what to look for as far as parts are concidered, your help with this is greatly appreciated, thank you for your advise!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

daewoomofo wrote:i was wondering about the other trans because if i can get a wrecked car with a compairable trans (only in manual) i would be able to do the conversion at lower cost, i like my car (except for the trans) and i still owe $ on it so i cant sell it, so if i just do the mods i want i will be REALLY happy with the car. i dont blame the daewoo designers for my problems, i blame myself cause im really hard on my car, and i would be able to do the swap myself if i have all the parts, i am fairly good with my hands, i am just not sure of what will work, i have no problem doing the work i just need to know what to look for as far as parts are concidered, your help with this is greatly appreciated, thank you for your advise!
Other Transmission?

The only transmissions you can use in the Lanos are the 4T40E Automatic Transmission, the D16 Manual Transmission, and the D16 Sport Manual Transmission with better gear ratios found on the Sport Lanos. Nothing else will go in without modifications.

Do you mean to put in a D16 Daewoo Manual Transmission?

If you are planning on buying a manual Lanos parts car and just transferring the manual parts to the automatic car, that is doable, but again, if you have never done something like this before, regardless of how good you are with your hands, you could run into problems. Just buying a random compact car with a "comparable" transmission will yield nothing, except headaches and wasted money. You can attempt it, but the major modifications needed to convert an non-Daewoo transmission to work in a Daewoo Lanos would probabally be worth more than your car.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok, so even though they are the "same" trans they arent the same? whats different? mounts, bell housing, or what? again thanks for the advise
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

mounts mainly. your prolly going have to make custom mounts and some welding maybe even a custom drive shafts if the engine is pos a little diffrent compaired to the manual.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok thank you very much you have beed alot of help, i still really want a manual, so if any one knows where i can get a wrecked manual lanos (or car with the same manual trans) please let me know! again THANK YOU!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

agent smith is selling his lanos... check the classifieds section.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

there is a high stall torque converter for the auto tranny on ebay... good to 600hp. it was less than 300 shipped too, looked really nice (was a racing tc)