Nubaroo`s diff says Bye Bye!!!! - Help LSD!!!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubaroo
Expert

Nubaroo`s diff says Bye Bye!!!! - Help LSD!!!

Post by Nubaroo »

Hi there guys.

After 348 000 HARD kilometers and some real abuse my Daewoo`s diff finally gave up. :( :( :( I was burning rubber around the corner 1st and 2nd gear with wheels smoking nicely all OK, and 10 kilometers later when going into a corner hard in second gear, I straightened the car out of the corner and heard a grinding noise from the gearbox with some vibrations on the gearshift and the car pulling from side to side on the road. I nursed my baby home with lots more of grinding noises from the box(all 5 gears working OK). When I got home I lifted the one wheel and could only turn the wheel about 1/4 turn and it would lock - I (and 3 x other tuners)am assuming stuffed diff????

I have already purchased another(2nd hand) diff from a tuner - F16 - just to get the car going, but would like to find out where and at what cost could one get an LSD(Quaiffe) or maybe ond from a Getrag box landed here in SA.????
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I poked around here.... http://www.opelownersforum.co.za/forum/ ... m.php?f=20

But I didn't find any LSD's...... seems like lots of guys are looking for one.

I was trying to remember if the TS200 or Superboss came with an LSD.... I think it might have.

The F28 LSD is the same as the F16 and F20... it just requires a spacer for the F28 fittment.

New ones can be found in the UK for about 520GBP

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra- ... fferential
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Thanks Precisionboost but these prices are a bit out of my price range...the tuner here in SA where I got my standard secondhand diff said he sells his Opel TS second hand LSD diffs for round R 1 500 (when he gets them) - which is a bit more affordable to me LOL. I have put my name down for one so we will see?? Will get my ride going with a standard diff in the meantime. It should last as long as I don`t abuse it LOL

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The TS diffs were a plate type as opposed to the Quaife helical cut gears right?

I only wish I had the kind of scrap yard availabilty you have.... I don't think that LSD's were standard in any of the other Opel / Vauxhall gearboxes made around the rest of the world.

So you've got factory converted FWD F28's, C20LET's, factory LSD's and some nice Axles made by some aftermarket company.

I am definitly jelous.... 1500R is about $200 USD.... it's physically impossible to find an LSD that fits the F16/F20/F28 that cheap anywhere else in the world.

If only the shipping from SA was reasonable.... I had a few quotes on some body kits for my Astra MK2 ( kadett E ) and the shipping was twice as much as two full kits plus a few extras.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Quite right - this is my understanding as well - plate diff on the TS box. The down side is components can wear where as the Quaiffe should work forever and a day.

These TS diffs are VERY scarce - but you never know. If I had spoken to the tuner in question a month earlier that TS diff would now be mine :evil: Will have to put my ears to the ground. I am sure I should be able to find one somewhere.

You know with the exchange rate of nearly 10:1 in your favour it is VERY difficuilt to purchase bits and piesces from your side of the world LOL.

The shipping costs are horrendous - but you guys have all the GOOD STUFF anyway???

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Apart from f28's :lol:
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

what do we have her in the states that you consider the "good stuff"?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

The goods stuff man - Eagle forged conrods, Wiseco Pistons, Arias pistons, Billet cams - excuse my ignorance but aren`t these all from the states??? ( Iknow not everybody on the forum is from the states, but even the Euro kills the Rand.
And not to mention the favourable exchange rates....LOL

Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Finally got some time on my hands to check the gearbox - removing the inspection plate I found a "spider" gear fall out in 3 x piesces and some iron filings from nursing the car home with lots of grinding noises....!

Unfortunately I got rained out and will have to fit the replacement diff next weekend. Funny thing is - both my broken diff amd the replacement diff have the following stamped on them - Daewoo emblem and part number AND F16????

Any thoughts on this???
Will keep u posted once the diff is fitted