newbie and clueless about cars

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

andreason

newbie and clueless about cars

Post by andreason »

Hi,
I am andrew, nice to meet you all.

Recently passed my driving test and i have bought a daewoo lanos 1.6 automatic 2000
I am so clueless about cars, so this question might be laughable an all.

What is the power button on the gear stick? What does it do? What stuff should i lookout for when driving my lanos? as in any problems and stuff. I was told because is an automatci there is an oil stick for the gearbox too. where is that? how do i check it?

unfortunately i do not have an owners manual. how do i get hold of one?

any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Many thanks guys for taking your time to read this

andrew
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

first of all welcome to be family. and the biggest weakness of the lanos is the timing belt. depending on how many miles are on it it is prone to break anywhere from 40k-60k miles. and if it goes then so do your valves and possibly the pistons. so if you're not sure or can't find out when the timing belt was last changed. change it. no point risking it.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
andreason

Post by andreason »

thank you very much for the information.
it says on the clock it has done 36500 miles.
you recommend i should change it?
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

my timing belt broke at 50,000 so I would change it around 45,000 to be safe
2.0 engine swap in the works
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

dam only 36.5k miles. thats pretty low for a 2000. i would say change it sooner than later. better to pay like $300 or so to have it changed than like $1500 for new valves and stuff. and while you're changing the belt might as well change the water pump too. cause you have to take off the timing belt to do that so might as well kill two birds with one stone might be a lil more expensive but not as much as someone having to take the belt off twice.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

hello, yes i would change it soon. even though its only 36k miles, its 8 years old. the rubber can get brittle and crack, causing the belt to snap. the power button is suposed to make the transmission shift later so you get better acceleration, i personally think its a crock, i never use it. there is no dipstick forthe trans, but ther is however a vent tube that leads from the trans to the engine bay. dont be alarmed when you see a tube comming from the trans with nothing on the end of it, its totaly normal. where are you from? is it a hatch or a sedan? and for the owners manual. here is a link to the manual, http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ice+manual

(remember search is your best friend here!)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
andreason

Post by andreason »

thank you to you all of you for all this information and help :)

I am from Manchester, UK. my lanos is 5 door hatchback. will take a picture and post it here
so I must change the timing and the water pump. will have to find a garage which wont realise i know nothing about cars and get ripped off.

so the power button is supposed to make the gear shifting better when accelarating? i bet that uses more fuel?

i think i will have to open the bonet and experiment with the car?? or is that a bad idea

just tried the link for the manual but the link seems to be down? any ideas?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

right click and save as. you will need winrar (free program) to open it.

andreason

Post by andreason »

i have tried right clicking and save as but nothing happens again!
could the link be broken or something?
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

http://www.auge44.dsl.pipex.com/daewoop ... manual.zip

Think that link might still work. It's pdf format, hope this helps. The other [better] link appears to be dead :(
SAZ
---------------------
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:hello, yes i would change it soon. even though its only 36k miles, its 8 years old. the rubber can get brittle and crack, causing the belt to snap. the power button is suposed to make the transmission shift later so you get better acceleration, i personally think its a crock, i never use it. there is no dipstick forthe trans, but ther is however a vent tube that leads from the trans to the engine bay. dont be alarmed when you see a tube comming from the trans with nothing on the end of it, its totaly normal. where are you from? is it a hatch or a sedan? and for the owners manual. here is a link to the manual, http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ice+manual

(remember search is your best friend here!)

+1...I agree with (almost, see below) all of above

regarding the power button........:roll:

Mofo..LOL ! Dude, your in the big D! flatland.
The steepest hill you have is the on-ramp to Greenfield off of I-94 or is it I-96 ? I forgot.
And thats why you don't appreciate the power button like I do when I'm climbing a long mountain grade at like 4 thousand feet above sea level and it just keeps getting steeper and steeper with each curve.
So I hit the power button and feel that huge surge of "power" :lol:
I do think you can get the same effect by dropping down into the next lower gear at around 40 mph though.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

that would prolly be the ramp from I-94, lol. did you used to live here or something?

Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Born in Michigan. Worked at the fomoco river rouge plant for about three years and also the at the Ford division headquarters building out on Michigan ave (Dearborn) for a few more. From Ann Arbor. Bob Segar and I went to the same jr high and high school around the same time.
I go waaaay back. Still kickin too ! Been hangin out here in California for almost thirty years now.
I am a michigander at heart. Still have relatives in Royal Oak, Beverly Hills, & Plymouth area.
I love my daewowoo but i also have a 1965 Ranchero and a 95 bird. The ranchero was built when I worked for Fords.. I helped build it. Along with the woo? It will probably outlive me.
LOL

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

cool