Need info on transmission coolers

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Need info on transmission coolers

Post by kinkyllama »

How do you install them is my main questions? and do you need a pump or anything like that? I just see it being a PITA on the F28 but it's something I'm definitly going to do.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

One way that's pretty normal is to use the fill plug as a return and tap a feed in the pan... yes you need a pump and preferably a swirl pot/sump.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:One way that's pretty normal is to use the fill plug as a return and tap a feed in the pan... yes you need a pump and preferably a swirl pot/sump.
Any brand you recommend?

and while your reading this do you know the thread size for the oil filter relocation peice? Mine broke and I didn't keep the box :roll:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

This type piece?

Or which thread specifically?
Audacity Racing
moron

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:This type piece?

Or which thread specifically?
Yes, my old setup relocated the fliter and allowed me to add an oil cooler but a friend told me they have kits that allow you to run an oil cooler with the oil filter in the factory spot, I'd perfer the latter one but either would do. I need to thread size/or vehical application for the peice that goes where the filter is. I think I remember it being "GM 14mm" but I'm unsure.

Also are tranny and oil coolers the same? when I search for tranny coolers at summitracing.com all I find is dual coolers. I already have an oil cooler so unless it's really cheap I'd rather just add another for the tranny rather than adding a dual one for both.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

The oil filter thread is 18x1.5mm

Just use a sandwich plate :lol:

And yeah... differential fluid is an oil... it's fine in any kind of "oil cooler"
Audacity Racing
moron

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:The oil filter thread is 18x1.5mm

Just use a sandwich plate :lol:

And yeah... differential fluid is an oil... it's fine in any kind of "oil cooler"
ohhh, I never knew what a sandwich plate was. haha, thanks

Audacity Racing wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spectre- ... dZViewItem

Use one of those too :lol:
Wow with that and an oil cooler kit my oils going to stay cold! :roll:

Okay so I deceided to just get a dual one and save space and it'll probably be easyier to mount. Providing the measurments fit behind my grill I'm getting this dual oil cooler:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 18&FROM=MG
If it doesn't fit they have two other sizes each smaller than the other.

This sandwich adaptor:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 50&FROM=MG

and this pump:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 24&FROM=MG

I already had to order some stuff from summit so this works out pretty well.

Thanks for the help Kenny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I know tranny coolers are quite common for autos, but is it really necesary for a manual trans? I mean theres no heat-generating slippage going on inside like a torque convertor. Thats not to say it doesn't get hot, but hot to the point it needs its own dedicated cooler? I would think some premium quality MTF should be able to handle any abuse you can throw at your manual transmission, provided the gears don't break from torque LOL.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Have to agree with exist3nce, wouldnt an extra pump just be extra drag, and out-weigh the benefits of fitting the cooler? I know removing things such as the A/C pump etc can free up engine revs, as there's less restriction. Assuming the pump'll be similar to the mounting of things like Power steering and A/C pumps.
Audacity Racing
moron

His transmission/LSD combo is the same as 1/4 of a new Forenza...
The LSD generates heat, and lots of it...
Kinky hits speeds most Daewoos can't

Cooling the differential is a key thing to do in race cars... plus the torque rating of the transmission can be upped by doing this. It's also crucial should Kinky be using a high-end friction modifier.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacity Racing wrote:His transmission/LSD combo is the same as 1/4 of a new Forenza...
The LSD generates heat, and lots of it...
Kinky hits speeds most Daewoos can't

Cooling the differential is a key thing to do in race cars... plus the torque rating of the transmission can be upped by doing this. It's also crucial should Kinky be using a high-end friction modifier.
Yeah that's why I'm using it, even if it barleys helps then it's worth it to me just in the fact that if my tranny goes it could be months before I can get ahold of another decent F28. Then the next biggest reason is I do plan on pushing the limit of the F28, and if a cooler allows me to run 10wtq more than I'll be happy.

Hey kenny, any guess on how much more tq an F28 can handle when converted to FWD?

and what the hells a "high-end friction modifier"?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

There is oil... and then there are friction modifiers.

The difference is that oil serves many purposes typically... lubrication, cooling, force distribution, etc

Friction modifiers only lubricate (or in some cases, add friction). They can breakdown under heat and just be useless. GL4 spec gear oil does NOT contain additional EP's or friciton modifiers (typically)... though GL5 DOES. Based on my knowledge of the f28's internals, GL5 would be a better route for you in the future, especially considering the gear ATB. Wherever hypoid gears are present (sliding and meshing gears like those inside the ATB differentials), GL5 is the way to go.

Also, if you have the cash, Cerobear ceramic bearings (one of my partner/sponsor companies) makes a set of F28 bearings and seals... should get an additional 10 ft-lb at the wheels out of something like that...

I unfortunately have no idea on the tq you'll be able to hold. If you cool appropriately, you can push 15 ft-lbs past what the normal loading is. If you go and cryo your internals and micro-shotpeen them as well you could push an additional 50 ft-lbs total. Add a few ribs and lighten/balance the shafts and barrel and you should be doing real nice (think 100+ over typical loading). After talking with Hewland about the 6 speed in the Lacetti WTCC... it's the same gear set as the F28... just a magnesium casting with rib mountings. You have a potentially stronger transmission (made of a stronger material)... just heavier. All you have to do is tap into the needed mods to pull it off.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I'm not sure about figures of the amount of torque an f28 can handle, but they came as a 4wd box, in 2.0 16v Turbo Cavaliers over here.
So their internals are pretty tough, but the main thing that goes in them are the bearings, the clutch release one especially