Abs Light on constantly! BUT NO ERROR CODES!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Wappy

Abs Light on constantly! BUT NO ERROR CODES!

Post by Wappy »

Hi all again

im having a continuation from this origonal problem

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9346

as the title suggests the abs light is on all the time, and there is no erorr codes on the system

What i've looked at

I printed out parts of the service guide for the abs section regarding this and it has check the pinouts and on j1 but after looking at the service manual its difrent to my car.. eg i dont have a EBCU behind the ABS lamp on the passanger side just the lamp and nothing else im guessing the connecter im after goes direct into the ECU and in my daewoo the EBCU adn the ECU are the same thing? but the only problem all the test reading will diffrent as the pin layout will be diffrent....

Could anyone please be able to help

Many Thanks

Wappy
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

I think that there are no provisions for "flash code" reading for ABS error. You need the Scantool to be able to read them.
Check that wheel sensors and connectors are clean.

Daniel
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Has the light only come on since you had the ecu wiring probs? Is it on permanently when you switch on ign or does it come on then go out and come on again when you start to drive away?
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

Hi thanks for the replys

Well im gonna go with since the problem the reason is i never noticed it before and tbh i dident notice it after the fix i was more happy it was working lol and with no ecu error codes i lef it ... but the wife says its been on since the wiring problem (and she is allways right, well thats what i tell her ;) )

But looking throught the pdf and from what i can see the on in the book is difrent to mine (and i dont mean the left hand drive bit lol)

Here is what happens i switch it on and the lights on and it stays on PERMANTLY but and here is the but it seams as if the ABS woks fine????? but the problem is it will fail for a MOT and i won't be able to do my driving test in it either... whitch is on the 23rd of oct!..

i did find a test center that could read the error codes but its miles away and im unable to get there! hence why i was following the pdf i was hoping to test the values with a multi meter and it might take longer yes but it would get sorted eventually.

Thanks

Wappy
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I'm not really sure what is causing this, but if you need the car to pass those tests and that light can't be on, just pull out the bulb LOL.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

they watch that the bulb comes on when you start the car. all of the idiot lights are suposed to come on for a sec or two so you can see that they function properly

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

oic, never had to do any of those tests yet. Altho when I took my driving test, they didn't watch any of my dash lights.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ive never had to do it either but ive heard about it, michigan used to have it, but not now

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Wappy,

From the service manual there is a "lamp driver module" taped somewhere on the ABS wiring harness that drives the ABS lamp. Since you said that ABS braking is OK (pulsating brake pedal ??) there is maybe a short in this module.

Daniel
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

In the UK the biggest problem of abs faults on the Daewoo is corrosion at the bracket that holds the front abs wheel sensors. (probably to do with the salt used on our roads during winter). The metal bracket holding the sensor starts to move forward and eventually the air gap between the sensor and the toothed gear ring on the drive shaft is reduced until eventually they meet. You can see if that has happened by looking at the front wheel sensors and observing the air gap. If it's touching the toothed ring you will see a shiny band around the gear ring where the sensor is eating away at it.

In your case this may not be the problem as you say it was working ok before the wiring meltdown probs. I would first check fuses then the wiring starting at the ABS control unit. It's located behind the drivers side kick panel (below the ECU).
Wappy

aghhhhhhhh!

Post by Wappy »

i should leave car alone they dont like me, lol,

the remove the bulb has allready been thought off but i dont want to risk it ;)

Right after looking i carnt find anything under the ecu could it be behind ?

lamp drive mod near the ecu.... i found a plastic connector and a blue thing in the top of it, removed it to check if there is anything obiously wrong with it.. put it back in and now the abs is the same but now the airbag light comes on then goes off and then back on permantly..... aghhhhhh!

could this blue thing be the problem?

and again thanks lads for all you help to press

wappy .....

ps sorry for the bad typos just spent the last 20 mins typing this on my Wii, lol

EDIT___

I found a chevrolet dealer near me thats gonna have a look, its going in on saturday morning :(. i'll let you know the outcome
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

On my uk spec lanos the abs control unit is located close to the ECU behind the drivers side kick panel trim.
Regarding the airbag light I've got a feeling that you've gone and blown the airbag module by unplugging the connector without first disconnecting the battery. I did a similar thing when removing the instrument panel and pulling the multiplugs without first disconnecting the battery. When put back the airbag light did exactly the same as you describe and the only cure was to fit another airbag module from a breakers. Let us know what Chevrolet say.
Wappy

Post by Wappy »

What a nice guy :) well just been to the Chevrolet delership and the results

I history error for the airbag light and it was bulb error in the history - he erased it and it was fine :) made my day but the abs not so lucky, the machine says left rear sensor but he thought it was the wiring so he went throught it all spent about a hour and a half, and i came back fine so he says the sensor needs replacing? but not 100% due to the ECU wiring fault, he is going to check the circit diagrams and ring me later at home just to confirm the sensor. as he said they charge £403 + Vat for the sensors (need to buy all 4) , but he recomend i go to a breakers and get one from there and then get a local garage to fit, tbh im gonna do it myself but the fact he recomended i get it done elsewhere due to the price shocked me!. any way all this cost me £60 + Vat for the clear and checking of the wiring ect (BARGIN!!!!). now all i have to do is get the Sensor from the breakers :).

Do the sensors work on all daewoos of is the lanos specific?

Thanks

Wappy
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

The sensors are the same in Lanos and Nubira and Leganza but the front and rear sensors are different so if it is a rear sensors then go and buy a rear sensor cuz a front sensor won't fit
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Man with no name
Junior

Re: aghhhhhhhh!

Post by Man with no name »

Wappy wrote:i should leave car alone they dont like me, lol,

+ 1000!

Tell me about it...why is it that a simple, 20 minute job always ends up taking me the WHOLE day, because EVERY little thing goes wrong??? And on top...it rains. Then it gets dark. Then everything gets lost..then nothing fits, Arggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol sorry...Not everyone has the magic touch when it comes to cars. But, at least you are not alone
:D hang in there
240sx