Motor mount fixed... now hard to get into 5th gear. Ideas?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Motor mount fixed... now hard to get into 5th gear. Ideas?

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... so my motor mount on the right side of my car was not on correctly and had the engine hanging down a little to the right (when facing the front of the car). I got it fixed (they had to drill it out and re-tap the hole where a bolt had sheared off), but now that it's fixed and the engine is level again, when we try to shift into 5th, it's not easy to get it into gear at all... it more or less just stops before getting up into the 5th gear slot.

So... Any ideas on how I fix this? I can't check anything on it or try and fix anything until about 6pm this evening, so if you guys have some good ideas that I could check/try when my wife gets home with the car, that would be great. :)

All the other gears are going in just fine... it's just 5th gear (all the way to the right and up).

2000 Lanos Sedan 1.6L
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Nobody has any ideas? :(
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Just a thought but if the motor mount was allowing the engine to droop some...then maybe the linkage that goes from the shifter got bent a small amount somewhere and when you fixed the mount the bent linkage doesn't line up perfect anymore?

Jimmy
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

jidasas wrote:Just a thought but if the motor mount was allowing the engine to droop some...then maybe the linkage that goes from the shifter got bent a small amount somewhere and when you fixed the mount the bent linkage doesn't line up perfect anymore?

Jimmy
I thought of that. I've been outside inspecting the linkage to try and see if I noticed something that is bent or if it's possible for me to adjust something, but due to inexperience with this sort of thing, I'm unsure where exactly something is wrong.

I tried loosening the motor mount and lowering the engine as far as it would allow with the bolts still in but untorqued, but it made no difference.

It's JUST missing getting into 5th. It's like there is an opening somewhere to the right, but I just can't move over far enough to the right to get it to go into 5th.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... so I got everything re-tightened down and jacked it up to look underneath. Everything looked alright down there, but probably wouldn't notice the slight difference in whatever is wrong unless it was obvious. So I let it back down and hop in.

Now if I push hard to the right and move it up, it will go into 5th. But it isn't very smooth/right. I'd still like to solve the problem and if anyone can suggest specific things I should check, please let me know.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if i had any experiance with manuals id help, but i dont, sorry. but id say loof k for bent linkage.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

check the links, i had the same problem, it was the linkage between the stick and the gear box, i had some plastic thing which was between the connectors moved a little bit, and i just had to put it right in its place and put the linkage back and connect it right again
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

mezomaster wrote:check the links, i had the same problem, it was the linkage between the stick and the gear box, i had some plastic thing which was between the connectors moved a little bit, and i just had to put it right in its place and put the linkage back and connect it right again
I agree it's probably the linkage.

Following is from the Factory Service Manual
other things it could be are:

worn or bent 5th gear shift fork
5th gear synchronizer, chipped, scored or worn.
clutch release system.
damaged release bearing guide.

The book stuff is doubtfull. I concur with Mezomaster and Daewoomofo and Jimmy.

:)

p.s. is the tranny noisey ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

;)
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Fixed. :) There is a little arm that sticks up from the main shaft of the linkage. It has a little ball joint at the end and leads over to some other stuff. Well. That little bar was bent slightly to the left, so the arm couldn't pull the thing connected to the ball joint over far enough for it to go into fifth. A pair of channel locks and a little elbow grease and it's fixed. :)

Thanks for the tips. :)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

glad to hear the woo is doingbetter now. just a lil more tlc and she is gonna be a really nice car again (she is nice now, but soon she will be nicer!)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

GOOD JOB ;)