Front Stabilizer Shaft Assembly Bolt

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Front Stabilizer Shaft Assembly Bolt

Post by JohnnyC »

My wife was out running some errands and she came home and said something was wrong with the car. Engine is fine, but when I move forward or back, I get a horrible grinding noise from the front right (passenger side) wheel. My first thought is that it's a wheel bearing.

After I jacked up the car, I quickly noticed what went wrong:

The front stabilizer shaft assembly bolt's end must have snapped off due to rusting through. The grinding noise is quite obvious from this pic.

I do have an old control arm with that assembly attached to it so I think I should be able to get the stabilizer link grommet and perhaps some other parts from that. But either way it looks like I'm going to have to fix that before driving anywhere.

Any recommendations?

Oh... on another note, I have to go get a new Gorilla bolt key since the one I had split on me while I was loosening the bolts on the wheel. Luckily there is a discount tire within biking distance of my house for me to go get one.
Last edited by JohnnyC on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

to know for sure its the wheel bearing, jack the car up and properly secure it, put you ear on the fender of the car and spin the wheel, if you hear a grinding sound, and the brakes look ok, its the bearing. the part costs about $30-$50, and it has to be pressed out, and the new one pressed in.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

As it turns out... buying the parts from Daewoo directly to entirely replace that will cost me all of $5 haha... + shipping of course (which is probably $10). hehe... I wish there was a place I could get one locally. I do know where I could get an entire used control arm, but I don't think I need to go to that extreme as the control arm appears to be in alright shape.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I'm planning on ordering the parts to repair that in the morning. If there are any tricks anyone thinks I should know, I'll check here before I order it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no tricks at all... just get a set of bushing to replace your current one and it is better to get an assembly for the other side as well... only God knows how much longer they are going to hold on in place.

you don't need to get a stabilizer bar... only time you need that is when you are getting a thicker one as an upgrade or if you bent yours in an accedent or so.

whats with the oil leak on the control arm and splash guard??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

The other side is newer than this one. I replaced the whole driver's side control arm last year. So I'm guessing that side will be good still. As for the oil leak, well... That's mostly from the valve cover gasket. The newer ones they make don't fit like the older ones do and they leak... When I have more time, I'll replace the gasket again, but next time I'm considering making my own since the original ones seem to suck so bad and don't really fit very well.

I don't like the newer design of the valve cover gaskets at ALL... they're not designed properly for the older style valve covers and heads. They fit the Aveo head nicely since it apparently has a groove on the top and bottom for the valve cover gasket to fit in. But my older style head without that groove it just makes an easy route for a leak. I keep the oil topped off, but for now that's just how it will be.

Thanks for the info... I'm putting in the order now. :)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

I lived in Michigan for a few years and I remember the rust issue's.
I guess the road crews still salt the winter roads, huh ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yep, gotta love being in the salt belt

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

More news on this... DaewooUS is out of stock on three of the four parts I need to do a brand new/proper repair job on that... SO...

Anyone happen to have the dimensions of that bolt? I'll have to get over to my Aunt's house to pick up my old control arm (which still has that attached to it (I think). So I think I can salvage the rubber bushings, plates, and tubes from that. And I'll just buy a bolt over at Home Depot or some such store to replace the bolt.

They were telling me it was going to be 3-4 weeks for them to get the official parts in stock to ship to me. So... needless to say, I canceled the order. Also... any recommendations for a 'home-made' fix for this problem would be greatly appreciated.

And yeah... they still put salt on the roads and it makes our cars rust out. I wish they had another way to get the snow to melt on the roads up here, but no... they have a deal with Dow Chemical and won't go back on it. (Dow provides the salt that goes on the roads)....
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Another update... DaewooUS called me back, but instead of giving me the dimensions, they went to their test car and pulled the original bolt off the test car and are going to FedEx me the bolt for free. I still have to use the rubber parts and such from my old one that is still attached to my old control arm, but they said they would call me when they come in and I could order new ones then. :)

Well that's just cool I think. They knew I was in a tight spot with no ability to drive it anywhere until I got the part and they knew I needed my car back on the road, so they went out of the way to help me out. :)
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Or so I thought...

They sent me an email saying they canceled the order and told me on the phone they had canceled the order, but then they decided to charge our account anyway, which gave us a $32 overdraft fee (since we spent some of the money that would have gone into the canceled order)... so now the parts I didn't get (even though they allegedly sent me the bolt I need for free), has cost me $59.82 (which just arrived).

So now I have to argue with DaewooUS about it and then have to go through the hassle of having my wife call the bank to try and get it straightened out that way as well. YAY!

At least I have the bolt now, so if I can get a break in the weather, I'll be able to get the car back on the road (it's been wet and cold and I don't feel like changing the part in the wet and cold)... yet.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

are there any 87-93 pontiac lemans in your area? if so you sould have used the bolt from that. you could order a new one from any parts stor like ADVANCE or AUTOZONE.

for future reference the 87-93 pontiac lemans hatch and sedan are the same chasis as the lanos, just different skin.

garrett
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

gse_turbo wrote:are there any 87-93 pontiac lemans in your area? if so you sould have used the bolt from that. you could order a new one from any parts stor like ADVANCE or AUTOZONE.

for future reference the 87-93 pontiac lemans hatch and sedan are the same chasis as the lanos, just different skin.

garrett
Thanks. That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind. In the meanwhile, I have the parts to do the fix. I'll probably be able to get in there and fix it tomorrow. :)
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I used Chevy Caprice stabilizer link controls... they are a tad shorter, but work. You'll have to replace both sides should you decide to do that.