Lanos 1.5 SOHC tranny / swap to ??

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

GizCRO

Lanos 1.5 SOHC tranny / swap to ??

Post by GizCRO »

I've used search function and I went through pretty much all of the threads regarding 1.5 SOHC tranny but didn't find a reasonable answer... :?

My problem is this...
I'm swapping my stock 1.5 SOHC (86HP) with a lightly modified C20SE (135hp) engine and I've bought a nitrous from WON (direct port) with adjustable controller to reduce the stress factor on my engine/tranny/axles but I'm worried about one thing...

What is the stock tranny on my Lanos?
Tried to look but I couldn't find which one it is.... :(
Will it handle the power increase? If not,which one to use? :oops:

Can I swap it with F16 which came with C20SE engine?
If I swap to F16,will my stock axles fit? Will they handle the power?
If not,which ones to use?

Expected power is somewhere between 135HP withouth nitrous and 200HP+ with nitrous.... :D
Stock engine is 125... Mine has a few mods. :roll:

Thnx in advance... 8)

If it helps,I've got a chassis number here.

It's KLATF48YEVB
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The lanos has a D16... which is simply an F16 with a hydraulic clutch system

Axles and everything else are 100% compatible.... it's a direct drop in.

The F16 will handle 200whp... but that's pushing it.

The D16 will probably come very close to handling that much power.... but it's hard to say.... depends on how you drive it.

You would be better off getting the F20... which is identical to the F16 except the internals are stronger.

The F20 will bolt up to your stock Lanos D16 tranny mounts and axles are also 100% compatible.... it's a direct drop in... and it can also be converted to a hydraulic clutch system.

Tom (GsiTurbo) is using an F20 he imported from Sweden.... and he's looking to run around 300Whp

The new "hydraulic" version is the D20.... which I have in my Chev Optra5 ( Daweoo Lacetti )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
GizCRO

Post by GizCRO »

First of all... Thnx! 8)

Second...
I'm not planing to push the tranny as hard as 200whp everyday...
When I count in all the losses on the way from the engine to the wheels then I come close to 200whp but not over it under any conditions... Also it will not be a hard hit like it's normal to experience with nitrous... That's why I've bought a nitrous controller. It will slowly rise the power from 10% to 100% over the period of 3seconds...

So far I've got 2 trannies... F16 and stock D16...
Will try to sell them both a get a F20 in good condition just to be sure! :D
If not then stock D16will have to do cause is has shorter transmission ration then F16.... :badgrin:
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Just as add-on, the F-series gerboxes have cable-driven clutch, while D-series are hydraulic. If you want to get F20, it may be worth to get F20 from Nubira, or newer Vectra or Calibra (X20XEV powered), which I 'believe' might be hydraulic as well.

Post by Efratech »

as far im aware you can use the little hydralic pump on the cable version, is a bolt on
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph