C20get swap, Pilot Bearing?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

julia

C20get swap, Pilot Bearing?

Post by julia »

Ok its down to the wire here and i need a pilot bearing, my clutch kit didnt come with one :evil: ? . Do i use the 88 lemans pilot bearing? Im using the f16 lanos transmission. If so where can i get one? any ideas?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I am 99% certain F16 release bearing from Lemans will fit D16 Lanos gearbox. They appear to be identical, with the exception of clutch mechanism. F16 has cable driven clutch, while D16 uses hydraulic. Best would be to take your old one for comparison.

Tom

Post by Efratech »

its the same thing because the clutch mechanism (cable vs hydralic) its outside the box.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
julia

Post by julia »

ok, so i called the local tranny shop and bearing supplieer and they aren't listing a part number. They say to call the dealership and ask for it so perhaps they can cross reference. Im on the phone with them now and they're telling me that there isnt a pilot bearing at all !!! WTF he sazys hes looking at pictures (blow out diagrams) and it isnt showing one,, ?!?!? is this guy on crack? ive never heard of a standard tranny wiout a pilot bearing? guys what do i do? this sucks

julia
julia

Post by julia »

ok so apparently we have one of the few standard transmissions in the world that dont use a pilot bearing? this is what im being told!?!? can anyone confirm or deny this 100000000000%% this is bizarre. This would mean that the Lanos doesnt have on either. This information should be posted if this is the case. anyone know for sure? thanks again
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what is a pilot bearing??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

This is exempt from Lanos parts catalogue.... release bearing is shown clearly as item 17. Whoever told you the gearbox does not have one, they are on drugs.

Below is the best photo I could find of Lemans release bearing

Altough its difficult to tell from the drawing, but I say they look alike. If you have your old release bearing, compare it. If looks OK, just get the 1988-1993 Pontiac Lemans release bearing.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Post by julia »

ok yeah thats what i have. But what you are refering to is a throw out/release - bearing. I have that. The lanos one will work in fact. What im posting about is a Pilot bearing. On most any manual tranny it sits in the center of the flywheel. But apparently (and this is my questions) this trannt doesnt have one at all?!?!? know what i mean? whadda ya think?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

The D16 repair manual does NOT show it in the explosion. I would be willing to guess it does not exist...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

is strange but im kinda clueless now?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
julia

Post by julia »

isnt that totally messed up. We rock some of the few transmissions in the world without pilot bearings. WTF eh?!?! too crazzy. I could be wrong, but is everyone coming to the same conclusion?!?
julia

Post by julia »

Audacity Racing wrote:The D16 repair manual does NOT show it in the explosion. I would be willing to guess it does not exist...
What about the explosion of the clutch/ flywheel? does it show anything there!??! i soo need on of these manuals. where do you all get them?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

did a quick search and i'm sure this is the downloadable manual right here.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5085

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

For the D16, I looked at the online manual for the Aveo (since the earlier model Aveos came with the D16). On the flywheel shot there is NO pilot bearing listed.

http://chevy.mrmax.dp.ua/EN/GMDE_TIS_START.html <- Aveo, Forenza, Reno, Verona service manuals

Look in the engine section for the flywheel picstures... it's not there. Also, doing a search for "pilot" in the entire service manual listing returns only one mention of a pilot bearing on the SOHC motors.

I do find it strange, because most (if not all) aftermarket flywheels will have one.
julia

Post by julia »

well, we went ahead and intalled the tranny without one then. Lets hope for the best ! :?