Somebody please help!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

bluecube

Somebody please help!

Post by bluecube »

I am currently in the middle of changing my clutch in my cielo. I have removed the hubs, ball joints etc and are at the point when i must remove the drive shaft from the axle. The problem is I can;t get it out. The manual just says I can lever it out with a pry bar etc but it still doesnt come out! If anyone could give me any help I would be so appreciative!! Coz at this point im thinking of rolling the car down a steep hill with the handbrake off.

Thanks in advance

Rob.
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

you need 2 pry bars not just one, one would just cause it to stick on the other side, 2 directly across from each other allow it to slip out easier. also try wacking it a few times with a hammer.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yeah, you need to be a real beast with it. It took a 4 foot crowbar and a sledgehammer to get mine out. Don't be afraid to hit it, just be careful not to damage any other part of the car
bluecube

Post by bluecube »

Well i finally got both of the shafts off! It was a real pain in the ass but crowbars do work! Thanks for the advice. The only casualty was when I hit my eyebrow with the crowbar when the shaft on the engine side came out. That bit wasn't so good. But at least they are both out now.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Glad to see you've survived. Good luck with the rest of it. :)
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I would recommend replacing your axles/input shaft seals. These parts are real inexpensive and it will take you 2 hrs to replace. But on the long run, this will pay off. These seals usually start to leak at about 100,000KM. Results can be quite dangerous (clutch slippage due to oil contamination), or damage to the gearbox due to low oil level.

Tom

Clutch is now in (updated)

Post by bluecube »

I have now taken off the transmission and found that the clutch release bearing was stuffed (it had kinda split away from itself and formed 2 pieces instead of one). So I am pretty sure that would be the reason why my pedal was staying to the floor (cable clutch by the way as my cielo has a F16). New clutch and pressure plate is also in. The old clutch wasnt really that bad. Pretty surprising considering my car has done 168k or so with the original clutch. Tomorrow I am going to try to attach the transmission to the engine again and hope for the best when I try the clutch!