which 1?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

which 1?

Post by daewoomofo »

ok i have a 2001 lanos with the 1.6 e-tech, automatic :( i hear you all talkin about different transmisions, which one do i have? is there more than one for my car and what can i do to help with poor shift quality? any help is greatly apreciated, thanks
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

there is a shift improver for sale in the classifieds... also, if you email the admin at www.daewootech.net you may be able to get a shift improver from him.

the ad in the classifieds is here...
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4623
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

thanks but any idea what trans i have?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You have the General Motors (GM) 4T40-E "Hydramatic" 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive transmission. This is a strong, reliable transmission that can be found on American Chevrolet Malibus, Pontiac Sunfires, and other cars. There are plenty shift improvers available on the market.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what does a shift improver do??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

It firms up the line pressure so that the tranny shifts faster and harder, for quicker acceleration. It works only on automatic transmissions. It isn't for the ones that want a nice calm ride home, it will shake you to shit, but it will shift much faster. It is only recommended to be done on newer transmissions as it can truly damage older ones.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok so if it is a common trans would i be able to bolt a trans from a sunfire (or another car with that trans) to it, or is the bell housing bolt pattern different?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I drove Woohoo's Lanos auto with and without the shift improver. I'd say the gearchange time was reduced by about 50%, and became much firmer and precise. This can be activated with a switch. Makes good upgrade, thats for sure.

Tom

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah, the problem is that i am REALLY hard on my car, i have already smoked 1 trans (fried the clutch bands) and i think mine is about to go again (39000 miles) so i really want a different trans (probly gonna go manual) thats the main project for the spring, any one wanna help?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I'm surprised to hear that you are having so many problems with the automatic transmission. I have almost 200,000 miles on my automatic transmission and it still shifts smoothly and quietly, I get the occasional jerking, but that is from bad mounts which will be changed shortly.

The 4T40E is very well constructed and reliable and clearly holds up to abuse with the way I drive :twisted: .

I wouldn't recommend the manual conversion as it would cost a hell of a lot of money, very likely more than your car is worth. Stick it out with the automatic, or just trade in your automatic Lanos for a manual.
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

for the 4t60

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/gmautofwd.shtm

edit: oh i just notice they do rebuild the 4t40 just the price isnt listed.l
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ok... now how does the improver do that?? i mean we know the chocochip is a simple resistor that fools with the ECU's reading, now what the shifter actually do with the tranny? and what is its nature? (mechanical device, electrical or what?)

thanks for the advice.

MMamdouh
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

It is an electrical device. The simple ones have two wires that hook up to the transmission wiring harness. It has a stock setting, stage 1 (A bit firmer than stock), and stage 2 (Much firmer than stock). These are all controlled with switches. It merely controlls the transmission by "telling" it to increase the line pressure, thereby making shifts quicker and more precise. There are also more expensive models, that plug in between the transmission's harness and the car's harness and have many settings so you can choose your favorite.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok but can i bolt a trans from a nother car up to my engine since they r the same trans? or is it a different bellhousing?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i heared that the tranny of a Peugeot 405 fits... not sure of that and IDK if Peugeots are available in the USA.

MMamdouh