Transmisson codes.

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Chas Wiggins

Transmisson codes.

Post by Chas Wiggins »

Okay, going back over a lot of the old threads, I've tried to absorb as much knowledge as I can when it comes to all facets of the Daewoo Lanos hb. Can someone give me a crash course in transmission codes for a 2000 Daewoo Lanos hb and all the codes I may encounter in doing an 8v 2.0l swap from a Turbo Sunbird?

Chas Wiggins<-----newbie :D
1991 Galant VR4
2000 Daewoo Lanos
1992 Subaru SVX
1986 VW GTi
1988 Mazda GTX

I just don't like pulling up to a red light next to a car like mine.

SCCA Solo2 H-stock and rally wannabe
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok... first off the transmissions from a Sunbird will not fit in a Lanos. (5spd is an Isuzu and the Auto is a TH125 )

The Pontiac Lemans uses the same F16 Getrag 5spd as the Lanos.

The standard Lemans 2.0L engine is the same block as the 2.0L turbo so that is how we know the 2.0L turbo works on the 2.0L turbo (plus I've driven in a powerfull 2.0L turbo/F16 5spd Lemans)

The F20 Getrag 5spd is found in the Nubria and it's stronger than the F16 but it's no where near to the quality of European F20 Getrag.

There is also an F28 Getrag 6spd available from Europe but most require a conversion kit to take it from a 4X4 to FWD ( very expensive but necissary if your thinking of 400hp )

The F16 is fairly decent as I've seen it in use with a 2.0L turbo running about 185hp 240lb ft of torque. ( I think that is what GsiTurbo is making on the Dyno...I could be wrong)

There is an F16 from Europe that has a different gear ratio and is way better since it allows you to do the 2/3 shift at about 105km/h ( vs 85 in our F16)

As it is now they set up the Lanos/Lemans F16s to be closer together since they have very little power..... but with 250hp you end up shifting way too much and there is more of a chance of spinning your wheels between shifts. (worse 1/4mile times)

As far as automatics are concerned I have no idea what is available for use in the Lanos.
Chas Wiggins

Post by Chas Wiggins »

So, when doing the Sunbird 8v 2.0l turbo swap, which transmission would be the most practical for a sub 200hp engine for street use and weekend autocross?

:)
1991 Galant VR4
2000 Daewoo Lanos
1992 Subaru SVX
1986 VW GTi
1988 Mazda GTX

Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

in the US the perfect choice will have to be the D20 (Nubira 5 speed)...

but if you already have a Lanos 5 speed you can use it for a while until you get your hands on the D20.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Nubira tranny would definitly be stronger than the F16 but I personally would prefer an F20 from Europe for 200WHP.

If your talking 200 crank HP then that is a different story as that would only be about 160 WHP which would be handled without a problem by the stock F16 Lanos tranny.

As well the F16 can be picked up from any local wrecking yard for next to nothing ( $50 ) as the Pontiac LeMans is not the kind of car most people go out of their way to repair so there are a pile of them in the wreckers.

My theory is who cares if I destroy the tranny.... it's $50 and a couple of hours of labor to replace. ( I allready have two F16's in storage)

Given the stock Sunbird 8V ran 165hp (crank) and 175lb ft of torque and it ran at only 7psi to 9psi without an intercooler I think that 200 crank horsepower would be very very easy to make.

In fact I bet that jumping it to 12psi with an intercooler would make it run around 230 crank horsepower ( 185 WHP ).....and about 245 lb ft of torque. (just like GsiTurbo's turbo 2.0L Pontiac LeMans/Astra MK II GSI)

All that is needed is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator ( to increase fuel pressure to the injectors) and a simple adjustment to the T25's waste gate actuator.
Chas Wiggins

me likes daewoos

Post by Chas Wiggins »

Would a performance clutch disc be a neccesary upgrade for either the F16/D20 with a 2.0l 8v turbo pushing 200crankhp?
1991 Galant VR4
2000 Daewoo Lanos
1992 Subaru SVX
1986 VW GTi
1988 Mazda GTX

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well with 200 crank hp you would be making about 212lb ft of torque so I would say that a medium duty "street" organic clutch would probably fit best.

The stock clutch is so light you would have a hard time hooking that kind of power up.

I would think that the biggest thing is the clutch pressure being increased... I think the only other car that had less pressure was my 86 Pontiac firefly ( 3cyl 1.0L ) which had a clutch smaller than some of the motorcycles out on the road!!!

There should be a whole pile of clutches available for the F16 and F20 (D20 is same as F20)

I would imagine there are some upgrades for the LeMans here in north america but anything decent would probably have to come from a European aftermarket parts supplier ( since the F16 and F20 are used on a number of Vauxhall/Opel/Holden vehicles)

Quaife also makes a limited slip differencial for the F16 and F20 as well as various aftermarket gear replacements (including dog engagement high performance gears.....which require double clutching to work since they have no syncros)

Hell you can turn an F16 into a dog engagement 6spd if you wanted....with whatever final ratios you felt like.

Here is the link...... http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/download/27-30.pdf

The thing I want most is the turret and gear lever assembly since it would be a billion times better than the crappy little plastic gear shifter box we have now.
Chas Wiggins

Post by Chas Wiggins »

Erfinder wrote: The thing I want most is the turret and gear lever assembly since it would be a billion times better than the crappy little plastic gear shifter box we have now.
Very interesting, what other applications is the F16/F20 used in. I imagine they would have to be high performance cars if Quafffe got involved in producing for them.

On a side note, what exactly is this "turret and gear assembly".

I really appreciate all the info. :D
1991 Galant VR4
2000 Daewoo Lanos
1992 Subaru SVX
1986 VW GTi
1988 Mazda GTX

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The turret is the part on the top of the transmission that moves the gears in and out (controlled by the rod linkage attached to your gear shifter)

The gear lever is just a new shifter.....ours is plastic inside and very sloppy.

The Quaife gear lever box is designed for racing so it has a very short and solid feeling throw.

It would turn our "slushboxes" into Ferrari like shifters....precise and solid.

The F16/F20 are used in the General motors vehicles made by Vauxhall (england), Opel (Europe) and Holden (Australia).

The Astra, Kadette, Corsa, Vectra are all cars that tend to be tuned up over in Europe and the UK.

They also use the C20LET ( 2.0L 16V Turbo....cousin to the 8V 2.0L turbo we have) as their primary tuner engine because it's easy to bring up into that 250 hp range.

As far a North American market vehicles I think the Lanos, Pontiac LeMans and Pontiac Optima are the only vehicles to run the F16 and the Daewoo Nubira runs the F20

I have no idea what manual is in the Leganza (if a manual is available) and there might be other F20's out there but I really don't know where else to look.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Ok, for a nubira you recomend to keep the stock clutch? and, thare are an other car in amercia w\ the f20 tranni?
Last edited by mocpac on Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

Erfinder wrote:[snip]...Given the stock Sunbird 8V ran 165hp (crank) and 175lb ft of torque and it ran at only 7psi to 9psi without an intercooler I think that 200 crank horsepower would be very very easy to make.

In fact I bet that jumping it to 12psi with an intercooler would make it run around 230 crank horsepower ( 185 WHP ).....and about 245 lb ft of torque. (just like GsiTurbo's turbo 2.0L Pontiac LeMans/Astra MK II GSI)
Slapping on a 16v head to that 8v bad boy bottom end will give you an additional 20-25 more horses due to the increase in flow :twisted:

as it stands, with no intercooler and with a t25@9psi the 8v ohc turbo motor produces roughly 7.6hp for every 1 pound of boost. 12 pounds would give you 92hp over stock, or 187crank.

Intercooling it will offer anything from 13-20% more in power depending on your intercooler.

slapping on a 16v head will offer an additional 20% increase in power..

so taking our 187hp and going middle of the road with the intercooler at 16.5% yeilds us 217hp. tacking on the 16v head will give us a "theoretical" 260 crank or 220whp/ 273ft-lbs crank and 231@ the wheels.

not bad i say. :wink:
at the end of the day, dont forget to upgrade your injectors, fuel pump as a safety precaution. :!:

Bernard
Chas Wiggins

Post by Chas Wiggins »

at the end of the day, dont forget to upgrade your injectors, fuel pump as a safety precaution. :!:
Bernard
Are there any aftermarket, higher flow injectors/ pumps that are bolt ins for the lanos?
1991 Galant VR4
2000 Daewoo Lanos
1992 Subaru SVX
1986 VW GTi
1988 Mazda GTX

gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

Hi

Things like fuel pump etc are not make and model sensitive if your going with an aftermarket unit. a walbro 255 would be more than enough for the demands you'd put on your motor.

As for Injectors, the nubira and leganza are interchange able, so they are the same, and from what i have been told, will indeed fit on a 1.6.

Tango, one of the forums most knowledged members also discovered that the injectors from a Dodge Dakota will fit on the 1.6 as well. keep in mind that these are 19 lbs/h injectors.. for the power i indicated as theoretical [260] you'd need closer to 33lbs/h injectors.

it would be interesting to find out if the injectors from a dodge 2.2/2.5 turbo would fit in our cars. those are good for decent power. If not. the next best thing would be to check the GM V6 parts bin. either the 3.1,3.4,4.3 engines have been around for a long time.. and might suit our needs!

one last thing you might want to consider before heading down the 120hp/liter area is looking into an FPR. Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Bernard
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I personally like the idea of adding extra injectors but it means customizing the throttle body intake.

I would like to be able to drive the car in stock form with low boost and be able to flick a switch for high boost (extra injectors kick in and provide the required fuel)

I even thought about running the extra injectors off a separate fuel cell filled with Tolulene.

If you mix Tolulene with regular gas it gives you "race gas" since it boosts the octane level.

I can't remember the mixture amounts for the various octane levels but I've heard of guys making as high as 104 Octane with Tolulene.

Tolulene is fairly cheap (and very toxic) so it's cheaper than buying an octane booster or "at the pump" race gas.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Chas Wiggins wrote:
Bernard
Are there any aftermarket, higher flow injectors/ pumps that are bolt ins for the lanos?
Im using a V6 Camaro fuel pump (60 psi i think)... i had to sligthly modify the stock base for the pump... this pump is a bit larger/wider than the stock one...

about the inyectors, im using inyectors from an Audi 2.8... just Plug and Play!
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph