ZF 4HP16 Auto trans: how good is the reliability?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Mario

ZF 4HP16 Auto trans: how good is the reliability?

Post by Mario »

I got curious reading the Lanos autmatic transmission thread...

The transmission now used on our Suzuki Forenza/Chevrolet Optra is the same ZF 4HP16 that was used on the previous Leganza and Nubira I think.

Anyone care to comment here their success / failures on higher mileage cars and/or abused ones?
woo
Expert

Re: ZF 4HP16 Auto trans: how good is the reliability?

Post by woo »

i just had a bearing in the trans of my leganza go, it destroyed the whole box, nothing was salvaged. the car had 104,000k's on it at the time
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
tango

Post by tango »

I was just asking if anybody had found out the name of the trannie in the Optra. Here we have it. But indeed only time will tell if they can match the Hydramatics. But why on earth did Daewoo go ZF when GM builds the best autos out there?

BTW, from what I have found out, the Leggie and Nubie used ZF 4HP14Q tranny. I don't see a 4HP16 in the application list at ZF's website though... :?:

ZF Application List PDF

Also found this link:

Daewoo Precision Industries 4HP16
Cogito ergo sum...
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

My automatic transmission thread? Lol, I got some people scared.

I alone was the reason for my tranny problems and after even further testing the problem is solved, I guess due to overlubrication the gears were slipping causing the jerks. But that is all over now.

I would venture to say that if you guys have the 4T40E transmission or something related to it, you can get good long mileage out of it.

It is pretty rare to hear of a Daewoo with serious transmission problems.
tango

Post by tango »

I don't think anybody is worried about the Hydramatics, which have over 20 years of reliabilty records to show. The ZFs on the other hand have something to prove. The ZF 4HP14Q as used in the Leggie and Nubie, happen to be the same trannie as used in the Peugeot 405s of yore. These trannies are unfortunately known problem items. But I hasten to add one very important distinction. The units used in the Daewoos have a radiator mounted cooler, while the Pugs have trannie mounted coolers. The latter location has been the source of much debate as to the reason for their poor performance. TIME alone will tell folks.
Cogito ergo sum...
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

tango wrote: same trannie as used in the Peugeot 405s of yore.
that is exactly what my mechanic said. He also said that there are a whole lot of bolt holes that dont line up to anything on the belhousing and the trans doesnt really fit the motor
330w carbon kevlar

tango

Post by tango »

woo wrote:He also said that there are a whole lot of bolt holes that dont line up to anything on the belhousing and the trans doesnt really fit the motor
This doesn't surprise me at all. It's only in the last few years that European manufacturers have taken autos seriously. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the 4HP14Q was an afterthought for Peugeot and they just did a quick fit-it job.
Cogito ergo sum...
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

tango wrote: This doesn't surprise me at all. It's only in the last few years that European manufacturers have taken autos seriously. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the 4HP14Q was an afterthought for Peugeot and they just did a quick fit-it job.
it doesnt fit the woo properly. The transmission mob ended up plugging up a whole lot of random holes for me
330w carbon kevlar

Mario

Post by Mario »

So, as I understand it, the 4HP16 is still a Daewoo-GMDAT only transmission for now. I'm just happy they fixed the computer control in mine before it damaged the trans by shifting too hard and to many times in city driving.

Let's hope for the best, I still got a 5yr warranty if something happen.

In my case, that could be be worse: the other car I considered buyng new was a Ford Focus and we all know the kind of reliability we have to expect from a Ford automatic transmission.
tango

Post by tango »

Doesn't fit the Leggie?!?

Cogito ergo sum...
transpart

Re: ZF 4HP16 Auto trans: how good is the reliability?

Post by transpart »

somebody knows where I can obtain spare parts for transimision 4hp16 thanks my email servicetranspart@gmail.com