Short Shifter!!!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mocpac

Short Shifter!!!

Post by mocpac »

I hear many people talking about make they shifter shorts (short shifter)
what I gain doing that?

And I have a doub about the clutch, when people said, they change the clutch or need a better one or a racing clutch, what that mean :?: :roll:
ImageImage
dawhat

Post by dawhat »

manule trans
clutch stronger
Short shifter quiker shift better times
DAWHAT
DEATHBYNUMBERS
wrath

Re: Short Shifter!!!

Post by wrath »

mocpac_ser wrote:I hear many people talking about make they shifter shorts (short shifter)
what I gain doing that?

And I have a doub about the clutch, when people said, they change the clutch or need a better one or a racing clutch, what that mean :?: :roll:
If you cut the shifter arm you can end up with a shorter throw shifter. You're better off with a different shifter or eliminating the anti-noise rubber in the shifter. Both makes the shift more precise.

99% of people buy a new clutch because they think they need one or they abused them too much and they died a horrible, smelly death. A clutch can handle slipping a lot better than dumping. Most clutches can handle a 3,500rpm feather through first gear periodically. It's just those clowns that don't get off the pedal fast enough going through the gears or rest their foot on the pedal that end up ruining them.

Sticking an aftermarket clutch on a Daewoo is like sticking drag radials on a Chevette. Sure, it can be done, but why bother?
"My lugnuts require more torque than your Daewoo makes."
daewooboy06

???short shifter???

Post by daewooboy06 »

would a civic short shifter work?
**HONDA KILLERS R' US**
DO DA WOO!!!!!!!
***I EAT HONDAS FOR BREAKFAST***
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

I don't think so. But if you whant to try let us know. 8)
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Short Shifter!!!

Post by PrecisionBoost »

wrath wrote: Sticking an aftermarket clutch on a Daewoo is like sticking drag radials on a Chevette. Sure, it can be done, but why bother?
If you had say 200WHP or 250WHP the Lanos would be a killer car.

For the money it's the best deal out there....I picked my lanos up as a second car for going back and fourth to work.....paid $9900 CDN ($7200 USD) brand spankin new. Now you can pick them up for $3500 USD.... I think they will make a great tuner platform once some real cash is dumped into it and some aftermarket parts come out for the engines.

Equivilently I could have picked up a 1995 Civic DX for about the same money. hmmmm let me see.... seven year old Civic with 130,000km on it or a brand new Lanos....well you know what I picked.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh ya...

I do know a guy with drag slicks on a Chevette.... but then again he has a Buick 350 V8 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 550hp.

He had to weld a full tubular subchassis to keep the little beast from tearing in half but it is unbelievably fast and extreemly light.

I don't remember what he runs in the 1/4 mile but I know he was running low 12's with his previous car which weighed twice as much (1974 Chev Nova)

For fun he takes stock chevette tires and burns them into a pile of liquid rubber.... heck of a smoke show... I think he gets the tires for free... has a deal with a local autowrecker.

I've even seen him make the car hop in the air when the wheelie bars are removed....its a very strange sight to see a Chevette do things like that.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

You can get a short shifter from Tuning.co.uk or from Griffith Engineering

It will fit all deawoo with the Getrag F16/F20 manual gearboxes
cheers!
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

thanks man.....cool.... I never thought to check into the Europe cars... I was thinking about taking apart my shifter this weekend to see if I could fabricate a modification to reduce the throw (short shifter)..... sure would be easier to simply purchase it.
CrazyJ

Post by CrazyJ »

Thanks for the info,

I have a 2001 Lanos sport 1.6L 5 speed hatchback. Which models of these short shifters will fit my car (as in, what should make/model car should I say I have?) and do I need to purchase a shift nob seperately?

Also, anyone know a good place to buy a knob that will fit a these short shifters? I actually have been wanting an aftermarket shift knob, but I don't feel like taking a hacksaw to a car under fully warrenty.
anesTHEtic34

Post by anesTHEtic34 »

i cut 2 1/2 inches off mine. it's nice low and quick now.

as for aftermarket clutches, i've found very few out there, and the ones i have found are WAY overpriced. goddamned GM. if it wasn't for them i'm sure we could get decent parts here in the states. (insert senseless profanity here)
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

2+ inches? what about the reverse lock?

about the aftermarket clutch, you can go to a local shop and ask to build a custom clutch

i have a "stage 4 like" clutch, something like this, my friction plate, and flywheel are "balanced" for this clutch.

oh i forgot my clutch does not have springs... so you guess its a pain on high trafic hours... because when its heat up creates a lot of vibration on the car :roll: but its worth it
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
anesTHEtic34

Post by anesTHEtic34 »

just ripped the rev lock out. no need for that. it just gets in the way. it's funny as hell whenever anybody else drives it watching them try and put the thing in reverse.
azazel19
Junior

reverse lock?

Post by azazel19 »

what is the need for the reverse lock, and will it hurt anything by taking it out and how do you take it ou.
"mess with the best die like the rest"
azazel19
Junior

short shifter?

Post by azazel19 »

i saw the links for the shorter shifters but how do i know what kind of tranny i have i have an 00 lanos hatchback and want a shorter shifter but don't want to cut it.
"mess with the best die like the rest"