Transmission noise

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lanos01

Transmission noise

Post by Lanos01 »

My '01 Lanos is/was making some strange sounds that I think are coming from the transmission (5-speed) or clutch. The car has 210k mi and all of the trans/clutch parts are original. The first odd sound was a mid- to high-pitched screeching noise that happened going downhill at about 50-60 mph with my foot off the accelerator. (It sorta sounded like an alien spacecraft landing.) Adding a little throttle, lightly applying the brakes, or declutching would make the sound go away. The first shop I took it to told me they thought it was a bad right front wheel bearing. The wheel turns smoothly, and both front bearings were replaced less than a year ago. Another shop said it was probably a bad pinion bearing, but the only way to know for sure was to open it up. Best thing to do is replace the trans. I found one with 80k mi for a reasonable price. Well, the screeching went away a couple of weeks ago and the only noise it makes now is a faint, high-pitched whine under light acceleration at about 50-55mph.

Now I'm thinking the noise was the throwout bearing and all I need to do is replace the clutch. Lately, there has been a slight 'chunky' feel when shifting, especially in the lower gears.

If I do need to replace the transmission, would the M32 6-speed fit?

Your thoughts appreciated.