torn CV boots, need advice

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Davinci_360

torn CV boots, need advice

Post by Davinci_360 »

I'm the proud new owner of a '99 Daewoo Lanos, and so far it's been a great car. I was putting the 16" wheels off of my Lemans on it, when I discovered that both front outer CV boots were torn. I have heard some clicking when turning, but it doesn't do it every time I turn, so I think the joints themselves might be ok. Is there any way to test the joints to see if they're ok?

I realize this usually means that the axles need replacing :x , but I was wondering if there were any stop-gap alternatives to replacing the whole axle? Has anyone here ever used those universal split CV boots?

Here's my idea:
remove the torn boots, thoroughly clean all of the grease out of it, blow it dry with compressed air, and then repack it with the split CV boots ...

What do you guys think ... will that work?
Trackerrrr

Re: torn CV boots, need advice

Post by Trackerrrr »

The split boots will work but they are not as good as the one piece type. The split ones are good for a quick fix.
Chris
1999 Leganza SX
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I found it's easier to just replace the entire axle
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Davinci_360

Post by Davinci_360 »

Well, I looked around at the local auto part stores, and I found axles for $68 a piece - not too expensive. I think I'll have a little more piece of mind knowing they're new. I called the guy I bought the car from (he's a European car mechanic), and he said he'd help my put the new axles in it. Now I just hope they hold up for another week ...