For those with intakes...how do u get rid of the *shakes* ??

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Man with no name
Junior

For those with intakes...how do u get rid of the *shakes* ??

Post by Man with no name »

For anyone with an after market intake (short ram or CAI)....

Is there any way to get rid off , or at least diminish, the annoying buzzing and vibrations when idling that make it to the cabin after the resonator has been removed?

Sometimes its so annoying that I thought about putting back the resonator just to stop the damn buzzing...but today I converted my short ram to CAI to see if it helped out with the loss of power when the engine gets hot (at least the filter is not in the engine bay anymore). So far so good...the only thing I hate about it is how annoying it gets at idle..

any luck with this?
240sx
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

When I had an intake, I never noticed this "buzzing" sound you are talking about. It was very quiet at idle for me, and only got louder the more I stepped on the gas.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

ive never noticed any form of buzz/vibrations... and ive experimented with evrything (short ram cone, long ram cone, cold air cone) and now ive got the stock air box just with the resonator removed and still cant find any vibrations/buzzing.

the only vibration/rattle i get when in idle (neutral) is from the gearbox when just the under-running gear is turning over.

...are you sure its coming from/caused by the air intake?
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
elhombredemierda
Super

Post by elhombredemierda »

[/quote]It was very quiet at idle for me, and only got louder the more I stepped on the gas[quote]

Same here :D
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

its very quite for me also, may be its rough for u because your idling rpm is lower than normal which makes the engine shakes and also the CAI shakes and make annoying sounds :roll:
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ive had about 4 different setups on my woo's. never had any vibs/shakes from any of them.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Man with no name
Junior

mezomaster wrote:its very quite for me also, may be its rough for u because your idling rpm is lower than normal which makes the engine shakes and also the CAI shakes and make annoying sounds :roll:
I am still idling at 9000 rpm, which I think is what our engines are supposed to idle at, and the Cai is held tightly in place with a clamp.

I noticed this since I removed my resonator, and also when I had a short ram, and now when I have a Cai as well....I remember that when I removed one of the resonators in my other car I got this buzzing as well....

And either way, a loose intake wouldn't cause this. If this was the case all it would do was make an annoying sound in the engine bay and nothing else. But when Im at idle and put my head against the headrest I can feel the vibrations. I can feel the vibrations on the steering wheel as well. All I know its , it started the second I took off my resonator
240sx
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

The only thing I notice with my new CAI...recently converted from RAI. Is a hissing or sucking sound and a throaty sound when I mash the gas...I like it.

Jimmy
Man with no name
Junior

Lol yep I like that sound too, which is why Im keeping it.

Imo, the short ram sounded annoyingly louder and actually lost power after driving for a while or if stuck in traffic...and nothing says lame like sounding loud when you you dont really have the hp to back it up
240sx
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I hadn't really paid attention to feeling vibrations in the headrest...but now that I think about it...
Before I got my exhaust and RAI/CAI my car didn't have nearly as much resonance and vibration when sitting at a redlight.

Jimmy
Man with no name
Junior

Ahh finally someone! See? Im not crazy...

I guess thats the best word for it ''resonance''
240sx