lanos lemans motor mount bracket

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

lanos lemans motor mount bracket

Post by gse_turbo »

i'll be working on a reproduction motor mount bracket like what would have come in the lemans GSE/GSi. it's the key to mounting any of the 2.0/2.2 motors in a Lemans, Nexia, Lanos...

i'll also be producing a power steering pump bracket for those using the DOHC 2.0/2.2 in the Lemans, Lanos, etc.

if anyone has any concerns or ideas to incorporate let me know, if i don't here anything back then i'll continue on and i should have the prototypes posted by Friday.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sounds cool....... I built one mount for one of the members a while back....kind of a pain.

What were you thinking about using for material???

Are you going to cast it, machine it out of billet steel or weld a bunch of pieces together?

Trust me when I say that the mount is not quite as easy as it looks..... the angles are not 90 degrees to each other.... can't remember exactly.... I think it was more like 88 degrees.

My main problem was the bolt holes.... I found that my welds were very close to the holes.... which makes drilling them hard unless your using carbide.... or you heat treat it to decrease the hardness prior to drilling.

Even the drill pattern was a bit strange...... needless to say what I did was build a "jig" out of wood and made it fit the stock mount perfectly..... then I used the jig as reference when drilling holes and placing the sections of the mount together for welding (basicly installed the pieces in the wood jig and tacked the components together )

In the end there was a bit of warpage from the welding and I ended up having to add yet another piece of metal and weld it onto the face.... then machine it flat.

I normally work with fairly thin materials..... so it was a bit of a learning curve for me when using 1/2" thick stainless...... I didn't think it would warp as bad as it did.

Anyways......... if you can produce them for a reasonable price you can definitly count me in for two or three of them (provided they are strong enough for a high output turbo engine )

As far as the power steering..... that one will also be fun.... I looked at it and didn't feel like screwing around with it..... it's definitly something that can be done.... just remember that the clearance in the Lemans is just a bit different than in the Lanos.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

thanks for the input.

i just got the call from the machine shop and the pieces are cut and bent now i have to weld them up.

i'm building one out of 3/8" mild and one out of 1/4 mild and we'll test the strength of both of them when finished.

i wrote the program for the piece that mounts from block to the mount to be in one piece with bolt holes and all, the rest of the supports are in the same configuration as the factory.

i'll have pics up of all the pieces hopefully by tomorrow.

the ps mount is in the location of the A/C compressor on the T20/T22 and it will include the tensioner. those plates are cut also but i might not mess with it for a while.

garrett