S/C ?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

zerosilence
Super

S/C ?

Post by zerosilence »

hey is there a such thing as a clutch supercharger. i went to the local car show and there was a mustang with a s/c and it blew off. and that's what he said that it was. is ity some kind of centrifical s/c.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I know of one guy who runs a bov on a supercharger... (he has a centrifugal)...just to get the sound when he lets off the throttle quickly I assumed, but he said it was just a safety measure in case something messes up and it gets too much boost.

I had thought about the idea of a supercharger with a clutch before so you could turn it on and off like an A/C system. Any ideas...would be great...push a button and the A/C style clutch kicks in and a different fuel map takes over and instant boost for however long you want it.

Jimmy
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

clutch superchargers are used in the new Nissan 350Z GT... and the Golf V TSI GT. They both hav an electro-magnetic "switchable" supercharger.
the clutch part of it has nothing to do with the BOV (i think) as you can fit a BOV to any/most supercharger setups.
The electromagnetic clutch is in the pulley system, and is used to connect the pulleys so that when its engaged the charger will spool, and when disengaged the charger wont spool.

[anyone feel free to correct me on any mistakes]
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

hmmm....could these be swapped to other cars? Put it on a woo so you could only spool when your at the track?

Jimmy
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

with a certain amount of custom work you can whack any supercharger onto any other car.
Found out that mercedes-benz also use switchable superchargers which only engage at full throttle... like some nitrous systems. gotta be fun!

i've been thinking about supercharging the 'woo for quite a while now. i'm just waiting for the right charger to come along. my only concern is finding a place that'll make the custom mounting brackets. and on top of that, my engine has an empty/free pulley where A/C should be... but i havent got A/C...

although i wont be making it a sitchable charger.
zerosilence
Super

Post by zerosilence »

a full throttle s/c would be bad ass
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

+1 i love the sound of a supercharger under accerleration :D
zerosilence
Super

Post by zerosilence »

how haed would it be to get a s/c that spools up at full throttle?
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

well the mercedes-benz ones have an electronic/electro-magnetic clutch that engages at full-throttle using "push-button" technology. just like some nitrous kits, that have a button either under the accel pedal or on the throttle body itself.

and to actually get hold of one... then your best bet would be ebay or your local scrap yard, if they have a few 'Kompressor' mercs laying around.