Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

senate

NOS in a 99 Lanos hatch

Post by senate »

I have a 99 Lanos Sports 1.6 hatch..

If I were to get a kit like this:

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/product_in ... ts_id=1066

(PowerFogger Universal EFI Wet NOS kit.. 35-125hp adjustable)

What else do I need to do to the engine? Any strengthening of internals or anything required?

I'm not racing it or thrashing it, it's not a "race" car and I have no interest in 1/4 mile times and beating people.. my car is purely for looks (yes, a ricer) and this is just fora bit of fun :D

I just wanna know if there's anything else i NEED to do, or will this kit run with a stock engine.

Cheers :D
Project 187 <-- click for latest pictures and details on my lanos project.

Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

If you will not exceed 35 Hp shot than it will all be ok, ofcours you cannot use it all the time, N20 is a slippery floor and it is not always good for the engine. One of my friends has blown his engine (35 Hp shot) and another one has to fix his engine cause it is burning oil... Both the cars are Lanos.

It is good that the kit is WET but IMO you will have to go and check your AFR while spraying the N20 to your engine, if it runs to lean you will mess up your engine...
Image Image
senate

Post by senate »

If I wanted to run more than that (I was thinking more like 50-70hp shot) what sorta things would I need to do?

Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

MR187 wrote:If I wanted to run more than that (I was thinking more like 50-70hp shot) what sorta things would I need to do?
Forged pistons, SMT6 or another piggyback to make the shot progresive, AFR gauge to have everything under controal alle the time
Image Image
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

IMO i would never use nos, everything might work fine for a few shots, then KABOOM something you never thought goes wrong and your looking at have to buy a new motor

i was on a web forum that people were talking about how they were running nos and how many shots they got off before something blew up

some people got anywhere from 1 or 2 to 250+ it all depends on how much you want to spend

for example, i have spent $600 on a complete ignition system, if i was to run nos i have the ability to instantly retard the engine (just by pushing the nos button) to the amount of nos i would be running to counteract the pre detenation effects nos will cause, it can also retard the engine on a burn out, pretty sweet ignition, now i just have to get it to work correctly with the woo

if you are going to run NOS, you DEFFINATLY should think about getting some kind of engine managment system!!

-James
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Speaking of my experience with NOS... used to have a NOS wet system on my car... a 55HP shot...

at least 5 bottles were used... before i stop using it... i did stop because i borrow the system from a friend

and guess what?... nothing happend to my engine... at the track i used on 2nd and 3rd gear at WOT (wide open throttle) and after 3000 rpms... my best time 15.4...

im planing to go to the track again with some 15" semi slick tyres and a 75 maybe a 100 hp shot... (a friend is giving me his system for a couple of days to try it)

but remember... my compresion is 8.8:1... yours is 9.5:1... so you could run safe with a 55 hp shot... a 75 will also be ok... also depends on how you use it...

Also remember to retard your timing a bit... :roll:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
senate

Post by senate »

Thanks maniac16v.. i'm thinking about doing a bunch of other engine stuff before I put the NOS system in anyway.. just for safe measures and to make sure it lasts. I'll probably end up running a 55 to 75 hp shot, depends what's done to the internals before then.

I'm getting an awesome deal through a mate who runs a performance shop on the full NOS system, purge valve setup, the works.. so should be cool :)

Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

But look at one more thing, Maniac's16V engine is bigger, it is a 2.0 and it is not as much straightened as our 1.6 16V his engine has only 10 Hp more than our little 1.6....

So if He ran on 55 shot I wouldn?t recommend more than 35 to our engine
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Max:
im gonna run a 75 shot or maybe a 100 shot... and no im not going crazy... :roll:

yes my "big block" C20LZ is stronger... and has a lower compresion... if i had the nubis 9.6:1 compresion ill not run not more than 55-75...

also remember that the "small block" A16 is also made or IRON... and also its internals... so a A16 is not the "weak" he can run a safetly 55 shot but again depends on how crazy he goes using NOS
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

maniac16v wrote:yes my "big block" C20LZ is stronger... and has a lower compresion... if i had the nubis 9.6:1 compresion ill not run not more than 55-75...
for a 2.0 engine, for a 1.6 I wouldyn't spray more than 35 :P

maniac16v wrote:but again depends on how crazy he goes using NOS
Exacly :)
Image Image
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I know a guy in MD with a show lanos that sprays 75shot. I personally wouldn't recommend this, nor can I tell if he was telling the truth.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
senate

Post by senate »

I wouldnt go "crazy" with the nos.. i'm not a boy racer.. and i'm not after performance.. nor do I even do any street racing.. got another car for that.. this car is purely about looks n cruising.. only reason i wanna chuck NOS in is for a bit more punch when i need it, and for the fun of having it in the first place :D

If anything, its part of the show.. not for major "go".

Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

MR187 wrote:If anything, its part of the show.. not for major "go".
If so go with a 35 shot :wink:
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

nah...

55 :roll:
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

A friend of mine who has built engine for racing his whole life (he's 50) told me never go more than half your stock HP. Ex. if you have 100 hp don't go more than a 50 shot. so a 50 shot would be safe for the 1.6