2.0 Nubira Turbo-for real!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pontiacjeff

2.0 Nubira Turbo-for real!

Post by pontiacjeff »

Hello, from the US. I found this site by way of www.LT3.reallyrules.com. We play with the C20GET. Anyway, I have a 1988 Pontiac Grand Am factory 2.0 8V Turbo. I am installing a '99 Nubira 2.0 (T20SED) with a custom turbo manifold and in my Grand Am. I will be using the Grand Am wiring and computer. Do to this I had to fabricate a front mount, external distributor drive. Aside from that, the engine is all stock inside. Soon, we will know what the DOHC 2.0 will do with a turbo. The specs on the turbo are: Mitsubishi 18G (T-25 flange), front mount intercooler, looking for 300HP on 15psi (1Bar) boost. BTW, I can build and sell this turbo manifold. It will fit the 2.0/2.2, and possibly even the 1.6 (not sure, though). Go to the following link to see the car and the new engine.

www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/88TGA.html
www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/DOHCswap1.html
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Welcome to the board pontiacjeff !

Very nice job! I am very impressed.

As far as the external distributor drive goes, wouldnt you be able to use the cam sensor on T20SED, and connect it to the line 430/463 on the Sunbird's harness (thats the reference pulse input LO/HIGH)? There was a DIS version of the C20E (93+ Sunbird N/A), so the ECM is capable to cotrol that.

Just curious.

Cheers!

Post by pontiacjeff »

The turbo engine uses a 4x reference (4-point mag pick-up in the distributor) for coil activation. The DIS uses a 2x cam reference pulse (on/off cam sensor "lug" on the back of the exhaust cam, which, btw, you might tell from the pictures, I turned down the lug on both sides of both cam gears, lightened them consideraby!) It would activate the coil this way on-(off)... 1-(3)-4-(2). I added a picture and description of the distributor drive set-up to the secodn swap page.

www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/DOHCswap2.html
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i am currently getting ready to install a turbo on the 1.6 lanos engine, but im waiting for some good weather to come out.

i was wondering if you were going to get any forged parts put in that engine or are you just going to run 15 psi on stock internals??
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

If it's anything like the older SOHC engines (and it is, same rods, cast pistons, cast crank, etc.) it should be good for 300HP. The weak link are the rod bolts, but I'll keep the big boost to short trips down the 'ole 1320'.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Man this is beautifull I will cry... :twisted:
The wire conection is the same bettewn the nubira engine and the pontiac grand am? And the D-tech is a sistem for some kind of performance. Live v-tec in hondas.

Whell man let me know when you finsh the project My nubira can be the next... 8)
ImageImage
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

And now the car is still runing? Work fine. Do you finish the project?
ImageImage
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

UPDATE: I leaned it out while tuning on the dyno and blew the head gasket. My plan is to replace the head gasket and use a .020"-thinck "head-saver" head gasket spacer with two head gaskets to lower the compression. I will have to use adjustable cam gears to get the cam timing correct. I am working on a design for some now. I can buy them from England, but they are very expensive with the exchange rate from $ to #.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

One more question. Do you use the same trasmision and clutch? Does this fit perfect? Or you make any modification to make it fit?
ImageImage