very ridiculous boost idea....

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

frenchard101

very ridiculous boost idea....

Post by frenchard101 »

As you can probably tell i have alot of free time on my hands. I was sitting around thinking of an easy practical way to boost without necisarily using a turbo or supercharger. If you want lots of boost of 6 psi or more then you probably need a turbo. But i was looking at this stupid air blower thing on ebay that claims to give out about 3psi of boost at 250cfm, and it hooks right up to your intake. well i was thinking, you could probably get a gas powered leaf blower unit that pumps out 400cfm (probably close to 5psi) and somehow rig it up to your intake, and the boost would be low enough to not have to change any engine components. Or even better an electric powered one that you could rig up to the battery or the 12v power source. As i said, a very ridiculous idea indeed, but for 40-60 bucks why not give it a shot?
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

someone did exactly that. rigged a leaf blower to be a turbo, i saw it on streetfire. they dynoed it and there were actually reasonable HP gains. was tested both on a civic si and some chev truck. they even sprayed some nitrous in the leaf blower, and that helped as welll.

haha here it is

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/lea ... CA9564.htm
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

I love this video I have seen it before too LOL
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

your engine sucks in WAY more air than 400cfm to get notice able boost.

1 cubic feet = 28.3168466 liters

ok so for the nubria (easy to work with numbers) you have a 2l engine.

so 2 liters = 0.0706293334 cubic feet

now at WOT

0.07CF x 6000RPM = 420 CFM

so that would give you 20CFM of boost at WOT, rember it needs that much to set it even.

and for riging it use a supra part i forgot what it was it was for the twin turbo where it's a switching valve on the intake so it was able to controll the boost better.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
Joso
Super

Post by Joso »

chronoti wrote:your engine sucks in WAY more air than 400cfm to get notice able boost.

now at WOT

Shouldn't you count only two cillinders at a time? You don't have to feed all four cilinders but two at the same time so it would be 210CFM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

Well i've been doing some more electric supercharging research with my free time, and it actually looks like a feesable project. Theres a company (boosthead.com) that actually makes a supercharger unit designed to run at high voltage and actually produces up to 15psi. All you need to do is buy some slave batteries. IT's pretty pricey at about 1.6k, but i think i might try building something like it. My plan is to get one of those electric superchargers form eram or whatever (these are only like 100 bucks), which are designed to run at 12v and make 2psi, and run it at 24, or maybe even 36v with a slave battery rig in my trunk, and hopefully get about 5psi from this unit. Hopefully the compressor will be able to handle the high load, might have to make some modifications. But it looks like there will be a real market for electric superchargers in the future, when cars will be run off of 48v batteries. 48v can run a 30hp motor and easily pump out 15psi, given the construction of the unit is very rigid.
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I talked about this twice allready over the past few years..... you only need around 8 horsepower to make a decent electric centrifugal supercharger work.

However.... 8hp is lots of power....close to 500amps !!!

You could make a single 12V battery work for about 15 seconds at 500 amps no problem.... but I doubt that you would get more than a run or two off a single battery.

You mights say "just use two or three batteries" but the added weight really starts adding up.

If I did one of these.... I'd have three batteries..... and after each run I'd throw in a fully charged one.

Then I would use my truck to quickly charge up the partially dead battery.

At 50amps..... it would only take three to five minutes to bring it back up to full charge

For a motor.... a forklift motor or high power diesel starter motor would work.

Keep in mind that with a single motor and single battery your adding around 100lbs to 150lbs.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

hey chris, it'd be cheaper and easier (and lighter) to use a hybrid rocket to spin up a supercharger for a few seconds. use nos and paffarin wax :lol:

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/20 ... _acme.html
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

Joso wrote:
chronoti wrote:your engine sucks in WAY more air than 400cfm to get notice able boost.

now at WOT

Shouldn't you count only two cillinders at a time? You don't have to feed all four cilinders but two at the same time so it would be 210CFM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
i see your point but you have to rember the total displacement for the engine is 2l, thats per revelution. and it's a constant feed in to something there never a break.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
aveo04slvr

Post by aveo04slvr »

But eventhough it may not be registered as boost, you still get more power, because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the same amount of air, so you do end up with more power, so yeah....