GT Series turbos

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

GT Series turbos

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a link to a site with a whole pile of Garret GT series turbos (thanks to GsiTurbo for this one)

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=GRT

The prices seem good and they even give compressor and turbine maps for calculating the best turbo for your engine.

For all those who need help with this, a very decent description of how to do all the calculations can be found in the June 2003 issue of Sport Compact Car.

I will go over the general formulas in another post.
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

It all depends on how much boost and from what RPM one wants to have. I will go with a Garret T3 turbo, it is relatively cheap, not too big (we do not have too much space between the engine and radiator). Next thing would be that the engine will not have lag at all, and it is possible to get round 200 hp from my 1.6 without a problem.
Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The "T" series is the older workhorse turbos, but the GT's give more flow with smaller wheels/housings and less lag.

Basicly the old "T" series is quickly being replaced by the "GT" series.

So since size is an issue I'm sure a GT20 would work way better than a much larger T3 for the Lanos.
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

Erfinder wrote:The "T" series is the older workhorse turbos, but the GT's give more flow with smaller wheels/housings and less lag.

Basicly the old "T" series is quickly being replaced by the "GT" series.

So since size is an issue I'm sure a GT20 would work way better than a much larger T3 for the Lanos.
I didn't know that Efrinder :) if the turbo is smaller it is better but the price :( I will have a used turbo with a 5 months warranty, a T3 or KKK K03
Image Image
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

There is a good article that compares Garrett T vs. GT series

GT28RS
Turbine wheel 53.85mm
Compressor Wheel 60mm
Horsepower 350 HP

According to the info:
  • Product Simplification - T product typically contained 54 components, compare this with GT technology which has drastically reduced the number of components by more than 45% to average of 29! Reducing the number of individual parts drastically diminishes the opportunity for failure, thus resulting in smoother motoring.

Journal Ball Bearing - The bearing system in the GT turbocharger allows for improved shaft stability and less drag throughout the speed range. In fact, the GT shaft motion has decreased by 20%, which greatly improves the durability of the bearing system.

Thrust Bearings - The new GT turbochargers have an increased load bearing capacity of up to 35%. This provides greater resistance to thrust bearing failure, especially when the combination of an oversized compressor wheel to turbine wheel is used.

Improved Aerodynamics - The wheels used on the GT turbochargers increase the efficiency of the turbocharger system. Increased efficiency allows improved engine performance in each application.

Wheel Trims - The GT range has several more wheel trims that the T range, enabling a more accurate match of turbocharger to engine that will in turn result in optimum performance.

Piston Rings - The piston rings on the GT range are made from M2 tool steel. This material can withstand higher temperatures than traditional T range piston rings, making the GT product more appropriate for today's modern engines
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I know what your saying about price, they certainly aren't cheap.

Go to the bottom of the page on the home link of

http://www.atpturbo.com/

You will see an article talking about replacing a T3/T4E with a GT28RS.

Here is the basics of the article...................

What happens when ATP takes a popular production Honda kit and tosses the T3/T4E for a GT28RS drop-in?

Even on the .82 A/R GT28RS, it makes boost 1500 rpm sooner than the .63 A/R T3/T4 and builds more power across the entire rpm band. Outlines the horsepower potential of the GT28RS and dispells the myths about large A/R's on small 4 cylinder engines!

The T3/T4 made 223.4 horspower while the GT28RS made 278.8 with the same settings ( 55.4 horsepower improvement)

Then they added more fuel to the GT28RS and managed 319.41 Horsepower ( 96 horsepower gain over T3/T4 hybrid )

The price difference between the two is $1179 USD for a new GT28RS and $635 USD for a new T3/T4 hybrid.

If you allready have a cheap or used turbo that's great, I just wanted to show that the new GT ball bearing turbos really kick butt.