Daewoo Lanos Turbo

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Silver Daewoo

Daewoo Lanos Turbo

Post by Silver Daewoo »

I just stopped by "Idaho Speed Center" and I found out that for about $5500 they can put in a custom Turbo that should give me at least 60 whp. I have been thinking about buying a new car but the Turbo upgrade is a lot cheaper than the car that I want. I figure that I'll also have to switch to a manual transmission and do some work on the suspension.

I should be able do this somtime next year and I'll try to keep this updated so that you know what's going on.

[/b]
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well i'm not sure how much they're charging for labor and all but Tom from 360dynamics can get a kit for about $1500 but i'm not sure what is all included now. that should save you money on the whole custom part at least.(which is probably the most expensive part of the project)

check this thread out http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3400

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Yes, $5,500 is way toooo much. Get a kit from Tom and have someone else install it for you, you'll definately save money.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

seriously for $5,500 you could probably find someone to put a V12 Viper engine in somehow. :lol:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

For $5500 USD I would come to your door and install a kit....

Tom is right next to me (we are still at work)... he said " he's in "

Seriously.... that's a pile of money.

What car is this for??

Hell.... for $5500 USD I could probably bring you a whole "turbo engine" and install it.

Hell... I could buy a lanos... drop in a 2.0L 8V turbo and sell it to you for $5500USD... you would have about 190WHP and 240 lbft of torque.

:D Yes... I'm going overboard but seriously.... that's a pile of money.

If you drove up here to Edmonton it could be done over a long weekend and that would make it cheaper.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
tango

Post by tango »

lanos2001 wrote:seriously for $5,500 you could probably find someone to put a V12 Viper engine in somehow. :lol:

nick
Viper has a V10! It'd probably cost an extra $100,000 to add the extra two cylinders!
Silver Daewoo wrote: I figure that I'll also have to switch to a manual transmission and do some work on the suspension.
Naw dude. Most turbocharged cars in the world are automatics. Your tranny can handle 200lb-ft of torque and I'm sure +60hp isn't gonna take the lb-ft level anywhere near that. You'll be fine as is.
Cogito ergo sum...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

People allways put down automatics.... but a good portion of the time they are faster than manuals when you have some serious power under the hood.

I don't usually drive an automatic because I love the feel of a manual but when it comes down to outright power handling the automatics are usually the best.

Here is a good article about the GM 4T65 tranny used in an ECOTEC drag car...

http://www.motorsportsblog.com/archives ... -matic.php
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

dude, seriously, if your running auto, sell it, and buy a manaul...or just a new car.

you cant make something that its not. i have bought a 1.6 model, and have plans to put a 2.0 turbo engine in, but this is my project when it goes ahead. serious, 5500 dollars, im sure you could get some nice motors...that would eat your car alive even with a turbo. i love me motor, for what it cost me, but in know if i had more money to begin with, i wouldnt buy one. if you start with lots more power, you can work from there.

thats me, i have had 2 lanos's. great motors, and different, but there comes to a point where you want something bigger and better, and it just aint guna happen.
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i dunno where you get off with that...

for 2000 you can EASILY get forged rods and pistons...

add another 1000 to that and you can get a crank and mains...

throw a good sized turbo and crank up the boost... and you should be making NICE power for the overall weight and cost of the engine...
Deathwind
Junior

Intimidator

Post by Deathwind »

I don't know about the price of turbo kit in USA.

But 5500 dollar for 60hp is too expensive I guess
Silver Daewoo

Thought About It

Post by Silver Daewoo »

It was more of an idea but after thinking about it, it is hardly worth it. When you stuff more power under the hood of a car that was not designed to handle it, I will end up with more problems than I could ever dream of. I've got a couple of cars lined up that I would like to get and I will probably sell my Lanos sometime next year.
The cars I am considering are the new MK 5 VW GTI, Audi TT, or a brand new Mustang GT. The Mustang is probably the most expensive but it is the quickest one and it's got some balls. The GTI is nice but does not perform like the Mustang. The Audi, I would probably get used but I'd much rather get a new car.