Turbo And SuperChargers

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

python235
Junior

Turbo And SuperChargers

Post by python235 »

well wondering about the C20XE engine here
-IF INTERNALS were stock how much pressure could be safe on that engine ???
-Which Would Be Better For the Engine SuperCharger or Turbo ??
i know the ups and downs of both BUT im looking for the safer for the engine !
VX
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

As to how much boost for the C20XE, I have no clue as I am overall unfamiliar with this engine.

As for safety between turbo and superchargers? Well, boost is boost and either form could wreck your engine at a certain point. But, I would go with a turbocharger as they are more efficient (exhaust run instead of belt driven), relatively simple to do, and they don't put as much of a load on an engine like a supercharger belt does. Either way though, you can't go wrong.
tango

Post by tango »

In my opnion if you are trying to maintain the natural character of the C20XE I would go with the supercharger. Superchargers are rev-happy set-ups but the C20XE isn't that sort of engine. It's a long stroke, designed to build more torque than horsepower. Thus a charging technique that builds power early in the rev-range is what I would go for. That's a supercharger or a very small turbo. If you are looking for all out power a very efficiently cooled large turbo may work best. The driver's preference applies here ultimately.
Cogito ergo sum...
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

superchargers dont lag whereas alot of turbo setups do
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
lanos rider

Post by lanos rider »

i think u dont need to upgrade any thing coz ur car has a high acceleration and u dont need more than that beleive me .... and simply 2 week's after u tune ur car we will find u died .... (so stay alive my friend ...)
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

:lmao:
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

honestly, I would go witha turbo. I think that a turbo is just way more efficient than a supercharger, and personally if you use a medium sized turbo, like a t3 which is what i have on my nubira, u will find that there is very little if any lag and that the engine can take it. I am currently running 10 psi and I have no problems, I am going to be disassembling my engine this weekend , or maybe next, jsut to replace some minor parts, like rod bolts and the seals, timingbelt and other basic maintainance, so i will let u know how the engine has stood up to the pressure.
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

the C20XE has a compresion of 10.5
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

ok well noted, then i would say stock, about 5 or 6 psi, he could run 2 mls head gaskets or get one cut out of copper or get a thicker mls, tom sells them. I would probably say get like a 2 mil head gasket that should drop the compression down to about 9.5 or a little less, which is teh same as teh nubira, which i think is like 9.6:1 (not sure so don't quote me on this)
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
python235
Junior

well

Post by python235 »

whats scaring me is the high compression ratio and due to that the engine isnt the normal C20XE so im afraid of charging the engine and then the engine breaks up
so
10.5 compression would need not more than 3psi to sray safe
and 3psi isnt worth it since the car is WAY to light
so i think ill pass charging the engine
but i need MORE power
and lanos_rider im not stoping till i get every car in jordan EVEN the damn 4X4 colt and the damn skyline (DREAMING :P)
VX
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

richardmatalon wrote:honestly, I would go witha turbo. I think that a turbo is just way more efficient than a supercharger, and personally if you use a medium sized turbo, like a t3 which is what i have on my nubira, u will find that there is very little if any lag and that the engine can take it. I am currently running 10 psi and I have no problems, I am going to be disassembling my engine this weekend , or maybe next, jsut to replace some minor parts, like rod bolts and the seals, timingbelt and other basic maintainance, so i will let u know how the engine has stood up to the pressure.
what is you hp like @ 10psi?
stock internals?
turbo compressor a/r?
got drift?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

richardmatalon wrote:honestly, I would go witha turbo. I think that a turbo is just way more efficient than a supercharger, and personally if you use a medium sized turbo, like a t3 which is what i have on my nubira, u will find that there is very little if any lag and that the engine can take it. I am currently running 10 psi and I have no problems, I am going to be disassembling my engine this weekend , or maybe next, jsut to replace some minor parts, like rod bolts and the seals, timingbelt and other basic maintainance, so i will let u know how the engine has stood up to the pressure.
Get pics... lots and lots of pics... document as much as possible.

Then set up a donation for the info :-D
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ummmm..... swap in C20LET or Z20LET pistons.... problem solved.

From what I gather the C20LET and C20XE are practically identical other than the pistons.

Then you should be able to run 15psi without any issues.

While your at it.... you might as well get the C20LET turbo manifold.... you can probably find it relatively cheap in the UK.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
python235
Junior

cheap

Post by python235 »

cheap in the uk
but hre the engine has to be boguht from the UK
and shipping isnt cheap AT ALL
so i think ill turbo next year
enough this year
:D
VX
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You don't need the whole engines.... you should be able to pick up a set of used C20LET pistons and or connecting rods for a couple hundred dollars.

The engine existed all over the globe so you should be able to source it from somewhere closer than the UK.... most of europe had that engine... so did south africa.

Personally... If I had a C20XE I would grab the turbo,manifold, ECU, connecting rods and pistons from a C20LET.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos