TURBO to Mileage

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

python235
Junior

TURBO to Mileage

Post by python235 »

Its been a very hard conflict between me and a mechanic and i might be wrong!!
i want to know is it true that turbos on easy driving decreases gas milage and u can drive more on a gallon?!?
VX
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

you mean increase mileage.
Last edited by debo890 on Sun May 22, 2005 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
got drift?
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

you mean increase mileage. yes, turbos can help you save gas with "VERY MILD"(normal) driving. with spirited driving, you are gulping gas like a v6 or more. the turbo help to fill you cylinder better at lower rpms which =s more torque. your car would not run too rich at low rpms with a turbo installed(if the turbo is small). at low rpm, the engine is struggling to suck in air and with the loads it encounters. eg: climbing a hill, car's weight, occupants weights,etc. the engine uses more gas to compensate for the extra air need to power the engine. eg: when you climb a hill, you press the pedal more to open the trottle plate more so that more air enters the engine. not enough air enters the engine at such a low rpm that the engine uses more gas to compensate. you end up running rich(less torque) until the engine rpm increases to a better rpm to handle the load. with a turbocharger, the load the engine encounters makes the turbo spin up thus, producing more air(than the engine can produce by it self at that rpm) in the engine to create the needed extra torque the engine needs to better handle the load. running rich = less hp and torque. running at a stoichiometric ratio = more hp and torque. you all need to know that torque is more important than hp, although they go hand in hand. a turbocharger makes torque not hp. more COOL air means increased torque. when you step on your gas pedal to accelerate, the force that pulls you back in to the seat is the torque the engine produces not HP. HP helps to keep the motion going. physics 101, torque is the twisting force applied to an object(your wheels). inertia is the resiatance of an object to motion. newtons law: an object in motion tend to stay in motion; an object at rest also tends to stay at rest. summary "INERTIA". your car is a body that has inertia. the heavyer the body, the greater the inertia. your wheels also have inertia. therefore torque is most important in an automobile. so people, its not all about the HP, talk about torque sometime ok 8) . sorry for going off track. final note, the closer the mass of the object is to the axis of rotation the less inertia there will be. thats why a light weight flywheel spin up faster (it has less matrial on the outside of the circle). try this, get an T shaped metal, add equal weight to both ends of the T. now try to twist it arround at the bottom part of the T. now try moving the weights towards the center of the T and tell me how much easyer it is to spin.

i am really sorry for going of track but yes, a turbo will help increase gas mileage up to a certain point. drive hard and you will WASTE gas. the engine without a tubro takes a longer duration to do work, while the turbo car takes less time which = less fuel.

ps:
i might have made some mistake in typing so feel free to correct me.
got drift?
python235
Junior

theory

Post by python235 »

this is the theory BUT AS U KNOW in real life physics its not allways that way, i need some1 that have slaped a turbo and got that increase in mileage
VX
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

There is no way in reality that you can get better mileage with a turbo! I've tried staying off boost, lighter boost and there is no way you get better mileage!

That said i have a pretty basic fuel control method too (2L Nubira injectors and RRFPR). If you had an SAFC or something you might be able to lean the mix out some but it'd get dangerous with detonation

Pre turbo i could get around 7L/100km's.
Post turbo im closer to 9.5L/100km with "spirited" boosting :lol:

Dont do a turbo conversion if you want better fuel economy. Thats the whole point - more air, more fuel, more fun :twisted:

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

won't the turbo add restriction to your intake and exhaust?? so running with no boost at all will be wors than a N/A engine... right??

BTW i am currently on 12.5L per 100 Km but that is totally on "in the city" driving with my 1.5 SOHC... is that good rate or what??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
debo890
Super

Re: theory

Post by debo890 »

python235 wrote:this is the theory BUT AS U KNOW in real life physics its not allways that way, i need some1 that have slaped a turbo and got that increase in mileage
believe what you may. if you slap on a turbo and you are expecting overall increased gas mileage, thats just not going to happen. if you dont have a lead and you drive extreamly concervative, yes a turbo will save gas as it will provide the engine with enough air that the asmatic engine can at low rpm.
i have / had a turbo nubi( i think i was even the first to turbo a nubi) and i dont know if i saved any gas as i have a lead foot. gas saving was of the least piority to me. not to be rude, if you want to save gas do not turbo you woo. as long as you gas mixture is stoichiometric, you are saving the maximum amount of gas already( with or without a turbo). unless you love the dangerous side of leaning the engine then you will save even more gas at the expence of distorying your engine.
got drift?
money

Post by money »

More Fuel + More Air = More HP (most of the time.)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.