Optra 5 Turbo Project Started !!!!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Optra 5 Turbo Project Started !!!!

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Several weeks late (damned Post office :evil: ) but my cast turbo intake is finally here :D :D :D

It looks really good for a cast manifold, just some light prep work and it's ready to be installed.

Tom (360 Dynamics) brought it into my work about 15 minutes ago so I think he's going to post some pictures later on.

I'm going to install it tonight to see how it fits.

It has a T3 flange on it but since I have a T25 kicking around I might make an adapter plate. (depends if I can find a cheap T3 in good condition)

I will post pictures tonight if I get a chance.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

yay! :lol:

I remember you saying before you goal is to get as much hp out of your car as possible but also have it be a good autocross car? (or was it just track)

Is this still the plan?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok.... here is the test fit.... and it looks like a perfect fit.

Here are some pics...

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

This manifold is one of the nicest cast units I've seen.... very thick flanges and the manifold is very heavy.

The thick walls means I shouldn't have problems with cracking and it should have very good thermal properties (heat retention and insulating value)

Tom and I are just heading out to see if we can hunt down a T3 turbo locally so we can test fit it.

So far everything looks perfect and I was surprized at how much room there is with the current manifold angle.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I want!

maybe i should fix my intake problem first though :lol:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

like i said to Tom last night when he sent me the pics: I'm loving that manifold!!

Looks quality indeed!

Keep up the good work!!! :)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... we thought we had a T3 but it would seem that the bolts don't line up correctly.

The turbo was from a Chrysler 2.2L turbo but it would appear that the flange is the same size as a T3 except the bolt holes need to be redrilled.

Needless to say I still want to make a T3 to T25 adapter to use my rebuilt T25 turbo from my C20GET.

So we managed to get the T25 half ass mounted up to the manifold (notice the zip tie :roll: ) and it fit decently.

The compressor housing just barely touches the location of where the oil dipstick is located and there is piles of room in front of the turbo so I think I will make my flange such that it is wedge shaped to pull it away from the block slightly.

Tom figures a T3 would be ok since it doesn't have the bulky internal wastegate on the back side where the T25 is touching the block.

Here is the picture.... note the huge ass external waste gate on the top of the manifold.

Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Looking good Chris,

Cant that wastegate be the other way around?

that way it will be more simple to frabricate the pipe that goes from the wastegate to the downpipe.

Efrain.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
angel

were can i get one

Post by angel »

i like this manifold i am also turboing my lanos and i need help with the manifold i have a turbo siting around from a saab 900 and was thinkin of using it it has an internal wastgate so i dont need the external opening and im just looking for a little more kick from this car since its the one i work on the most and a daily driver anyway to get one from you i have a 2000 lanos 16v dohc 1.6 and its automatic for now trying to track down a manual car for a swap out on tranny and ecu and related objects
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

You dont have to have a full manifold made up. You can get a custom adaptor made up that has the flange of the exhaust manifold on on end of a short pipe and the turbo flange on the other end. Its way cheaper/easier this way, but you probably will lose a bit of power by not having a full tuned length manifold.

--Tim
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Chris, would your project trigger the CEL? What are you going to do with O2 sensors?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The O2 sensors are the easiest problem to fix and a CEL is pretty minor, we don't have emission testing here so it won't matter if I trigger a CEL.

I will probably design a simple O2 simulator and use a single O2 sensor.

I have an Apexi SAFC-II and an MSD DIS-2 ignition system on the way so I will have the ability to fool around with fuel and timing.

As I go through the project I will post my findings and show how I modified the system to be happy running about 7psi of boost.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Nice looking manifold! Well made too, like you said.

One thing, sell the T25 on and use a T3 instead. One with the following specs would be ideal for street use and would offer the potential for ~250hp with decent spool up.

0.42 compressor A/R, 50 trim wheel
0.48 turbine A/R, stage 1 wheel

This is similar to the 4x4 cosworth spec and I think the same as the Mopars.
Several T3's like this have been fitted to LET's...........you won't be dissapointed with it's performance :) It's also easy to swap turbine housings to a 0.63 A/R should you desire the powerband to be higher up the rpm range.

As T3's are common you should be able to get one to that spec very cheaply.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm not looking for serious power out of this project.... I plan on keeping the internals stock for now.

I was originally thinking just 5psi but Tom and another friend have convinced me to go to 7psi.

I just want a little extra pickup and I am the "tester" for the "stage 1" turbo kit Tom is going to sell for the 2.0L 16V.

I haven't really done much in the way of calculations to figure out the perfect turbo but I appreciate you steering me in the direction of the T3 for the cosworth.

I'm still stuck on the GT28RS which is way too big for what I have planned but at the same time I will be expanding my engine modifications next year (in all likelyhood)

Eventually I will probably build it up to handle a healthy 15psi to 18psi but that will of course require several changes to the engine internals.

I still plan on having a big drag engine but it's a "side project" for now until I get this car the way I like it.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Erfinder wrote:I just want a little extra pickup and I am the "tester" for the "stage 1" turbo kit Tom is going to sell for the 2.0L 16V.
I think Tom should definately work out a turbo kit for 1.6l... I'm sure there's a lot more guys that are interested in 1.6l turbo then 2.0l guys. That's a bit off topic... sorry.

Chris, where did you order your exhaust manufold? Or was it custom made?