AcingTeam
Expert

Do these work at all???

Post by AcingTeam »

woo
Expert

Re: Do these work at all???

Post by woo »

technically they should, but it doesnt say anything about powersource, i.e do you need a second battery, or a bigger alternator etc
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

No, they don't even spin fast enough to feed the engine N/A yet alone create a boost.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok guys...... to run an electric turbo you would need at the very minimum an 8 horsepower electric motor to manage 7psi of boost at the required CFM.

8hp is roughly 6000Watts (correct me if I'm wrong... I can't remember the converstion.... I think 1hp=746W)

Anyways..... 6000W @ 12V requires 500AMPS :shock:

A single battery could do this for a run down the 1/4 mile but it would be totally depleted at the end.

This would most definitly hurt your battery if done repeatedly.

The motor shown in the EBAY ad is the same as I use in my camper units for exhaust.... it runs about 12 amps at 12V so roughly 150W.

Needless to say you would need 20 of these to make any boost.

The only low voltage 8hp motor I know of is a Diesel starter (24V ).

The problem is keeping it cool since it has to be on full throttle for at least 30 seconds.

The weight isn't horrible.... probably 100lbs at worst.

I've actually been working on the finer details of an electric turbo using a Garrett T25 or T28 compressor wheel and a high output starter motor.

If I use a non-conductive oil to pass through the starter it will cool it sufficently enough but it will take some power to rotate the assembly at high speed.

The main problem is the required speed of the compressor wheel.... which needs to get up into the 100,000 to 150,000 RPM levels.

At that kind of rotational velocity everything has to be absolutely perfectly ballanced.

So..... an electric turbo/supercharger is possible but I've yet to see a design that will actually create power instead of chokeing your engine (like this ebay unit)
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

we should try to design something that will work. it doesnt need to produce boost just more hp and torque. Ive thought of using small fans. Any ideas?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Thomas Knight turbos makes one that is pretty decent. But it's expensive.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

What is this about?

http://www.esuperchargers.com/
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

anyone know how to make one??????
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

asam wrote:we should try to design something that will work. it doesnt need to produce boost just more hp and torque. Ive thought of using small fans. Any ideas?
You seem confused.... horsepower and torque can only be derived from boost.... if it has zero boost your not going to make any extra power.

Small fans will cause a restriction.... you might as well shove a sock in your intake.... like I said before.... 100,000 RPM or more with a special computer designed compressor from a turbo is the only way to get power.

I suppose you could run a roots type supercharger (less efficient than a turbo compressor ) off an electric motor but what would be the point.... you might as well run it directly off the motor.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

No i did but you were talking about 7psi. Thats pretty big for an elctric supercharger. 500amps would require its own battery. but 1-2psi sounds realistic. Even if these do not add boost, do they provide any hp gains at all?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

1 or 2 psi??? Why spending money of a way to supercharge an engine and only getting that low amount of boost... always think big... 7-8 psi STILL sounds OK... btw 7 psi is called LOW boost...

Efrain.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

bigger is better but if you can build something cheap from stuff at a hardware store thats good too. Im just lookin for any way to gain a few hp and wondering if this could do it? and how to make one?
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

you micht aswell get an industrial water pump, piss off the electric motor and hook it up to you crank, or go see CAPA (if your in australia) and get a vortech custom fitted.
330w carbon kevlar

woo
Expert

Post by woo »

would it be possible to modify an eaton style blower off a supercharged MR2 to fit a lanos/leganza etc. It would make for an individual car.
330w carbon kevlar

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You might be able to use fans as auxillary inlets to your intake, but since computer fans spin only @ 2000 RPM, it would choke the intake and you would get vacuum loss. 2 PSI sure as hell isn't worth $80. Front ram air would give more horsepower, and that is also proven.

Only think I can think of is that if you don't have the time, knowledge, or money to super or turbocharge your car, you can get a weak shot of NOS (35-55 shot). That way, during the day you can get 100% stock MPG and emissions, but if you want to race you have a handy 50 horsepower ready. And, a quality kit is less than a grand and best of all, it is proven, I have no doubt that out cast iron engines can take that little shot.