NEED PICS OF 2.2 DAEWOO ENGINE BLOCK!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pontiacjeff

NEED PICS OF 2.2 DAEWOO ENGINE BLOCK!

Post by pontiacjeff »

I need some pictures of the 2.2 Daewoo engine block to compare to the 2.0L Pontiac block. I want to put the 2.2 in my 88 Grand Am. I have a 2.2 Isuzu truck block and it is missing two bolt holes on the back, adjacent to the water pump housing. These bolt holes are used for the rear engine mount on my car. Without them, this 2.2 Isuzu is unuseable. I am hoping the 2.2 Daewoo block has them. The 2.0 Nubira block has them. Does anyone have pictures or a 2.2 block out of the car to take some pics? Thanks.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have a 2.2L bare block in my garage (T22SED).... as well as a U20SED ( Suzuki forenza 2.0L ).... along with a C20GET and C20LZ.

I will try and capture the pics you want and post them up here for everyone to see.

Sorry to hear about your rod... at one point I was fooling around with trying to figure out a combination of parts between the iron block and aluminum block engines.

If you do some digging around you will see that you can make them work with the 2.2L engine ( saving lots of money in the process because aluminum ecotec parts are nearly half the price )

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The 2.2L is tucked into the back corner right now so it was a bit hard to get at..... hopefully these will work for now as they are the best I can do unless I pull out all my stuff into the middle.

2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

Thanks! The two holes adjacent to the water pump housing are used in the Pontiac for a rear engine mount. However, missing from the 2.2 is a third bolt just above and between the other two. I think I can make it work by welding a brace on the engine mount bracket and bolting it up somewhere else on the block or head. Great pictures!

Are you saying the US-spec Ecotec rods are the same length and dimensions as our older Opel engines? I know the 2.0L are both 86mm/86mm and the 2.2 are both 86mm/94.5mm, but is the deck height the same? Rod journals? Pin heights?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Aluminum ECOTEC Info...

Con Rod length C-C = 146.43mm
BE HOLE = 52mm (2.047" )
SE HOLE = 20mm (0.787" )

Width of BE = 24mm (measured with ruler.... can't find measurements... micrometer is at work... looks bang on 24mm )
Width of SE = 24mm (measured with ruler.... can't find measurements... micrometer is at work... looks bang on 24mm )

Alum ECOTEC pistons have a 26.75 comp height ( distance from center of pin to top surface of piston )

Total distance from center of connecting rod to top of piston on Alum ECOTEC = 173.18mm

2.2L IRON BLOCK INFO...

Con Rod length C-C = 148.2mm ( 5.8345" )
BE HOLE = 52mm ( 2.047" )
SE HOLE = 21mm ( 0.826" )

Width of BE = 22mm (0.866" )
Width of SE = 22mm ( 0.866" )

Piston center hole to top surface (comp height) =29.845mm ( 1.175" )

Total distance from center of connecting rod to top of piston on T22SED = 178.05mm

So... if you took Aluminum ECOTEC rods, increased the small end hole from 20mm to 22mm then machined the width of the rods down from 24mm to 22mm you would have a set of Aluminum Ecotec rods that would work in the T22SED engine.

The reason I suggest this is that forged rods for the Aluminum Ecotec are really cheap where as forged rods for the iron 2.2L are pretty much a custom order item.

Obviously there is some difference in compression height so custom pistons would be required to make that rod work with the T22SED.... but I'm sure that would be easy enough to get from JE or Wiesco.

Originally what I was looking for was a way to make the Aluminum Ecotec rods work in the C20GET ( T22SED deck height is 1cm taller than C20GET so they are a better match)

In the end I found a combination that was really close.... but this was several years ago before the C20LET forged rods became popular.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

I wanted to build a long rod 2.0, basically a destroked 2.2 (btw, the 2.2 is approx 9mm taller deck, not 1mm)

It would take a real long rod, which these engines need anyway. The R/S taio is dismal, 1.54 on the 2.2 and a little better 1.66 on the 2.0. What The 2.0 need is the taller deck 2.2 with a 152mm rod, r/s would be 1.77, very good indeed.

But back to this, I have a forged steel rod from an Oldsmobile Quad 4 4cyl engine. They are the same length as the 2.2 rod (+/- a couple thousands of an inch) They will take some work, the big end needs narrowing, the small end is 1mm larger and they are set op with a bushing for floating pins. the GET uses press fit pins. I dont; have money right now for a set of floating pistons, Wiseco's.

I may just put the stock 2.2 in for now and wait til I can afford to do it right.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: T22SED deck height is 1cm taller than C20GET...
Last edited by gse_turbo on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

pontiacjeff wrote: I may just put the stock 2.2 in for now and wait til I can afford to do it right.
that's what I would do, just decast and recondision the rods and let it fly.

I'd still like to see the pics we talked about. ;)

Garrett
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

Ah, yes, I misread that, sorry. I have not been back to my shop since we talked, I am taking the engine out tonight, I'll take plenty of pics and post them here.