Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Efratech
Admin

head gasket gone

Post by Efratech »

finally has done it.

:cry: :cry:

for a few days had a small miss fire at startup and low revs... has been strangely overheating and today has done it.

yesterday i took the radiator out and was checked had a tinny leak, nothing huge...

today overheated again and barely got to work popped the hood checked for leaks... none... checked the water level and it was low so i filled again...

i decided to took the oil stick out to find the hated water/oil color

:cry: :cry: :cry:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Oh man sorry to hear that. Now its time to get a good headgasket and go BOOST :)
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

exist3nce wrote:Oh man sorry to hear that. Now its time to get a good headgasket and go BOOST :)
+1 ;)
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

you make it sound easy :lol:

talked with my new mechanic... my old one and tunner now lives in ecuador

hes very good at what he does, he liked the engine

the gasket went around one cylinder, the head needs a little reskim, he says he will see if the stock pullies alow a bit of cam play :lol: hes more nuts than my old mechanic.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

That's shit, sorry to hear that m8, but i'm with existence one this one :P

That buttery oil colour is a baaaaad thing to see lol
SAZ
---------------------
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

you guys insist on the turbo. i cant afford that
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Lol idealy, seeing as you have the engine the way it is we mean. Tbh, if i was in your shoes, well, actually, if my engine ever gave up, i would probably do the same as you and just replace the headgasket. Anwyay, you've done a phenomenal amount of stuff to that car as it sits, with the engine management setup, and your intake manifold.

All we meant was, you're engines in half basically, it'd be so easy to slap on a thinker headgasket, or some lower cr pistons [if you've the cash] and wing a turbo on. BUt that's soooo easy for us to say lol, it's a lot more complicated than that as im sure you know.
SAZ
---------------------
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

hehehe for that need an intercooler, custom piping, turbo, new complete exhaust, and the list goes on, oh and a remap but thanks for the good wishes. i would love to slap a turbo on it, believe me a really do!

just got to work from the shop, went with the new gasket, oil, filter and all the needed stuff to get it together. as i type he's getting the head to another shop for a little skim.

once is back from the skim, some valve lapping will be done. so i guess it should a bit more alive again.

so i should have the car back for tomorrow. ;)
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

you said your machinest was worried about cam timing, why not got with a thicker than stock Cometic gasket?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

no mate, what i said is that my mechanic will see if can play a bit with the stock cam pullies to see if he can move it a few degrees for better performance.

cam timing is not an issue right now, this head is basically a skim virgin, it had a minimal skim a few years back but thats was when i did the rebuild
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

the car is up and running again since saturday... all seems ok until now
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Efrain A. wrote:the car is up and running again since saturday... all seems ok until now
Good to hear m8, you do the work or your mechanic? Running as well as it did before?
SAZ
---------------------
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

i've a mechanic for standard daewoo things (ex daewoo mechanic in the main dealer) and other for the engine stuff (had one of the best around here but he moved to ecuador and im at another shop for that, one of the best too) i can do stuff myself, which i do but complex jobs and time consuming are done by them.

the car is running good, i cant tell if its faster or what, dont know honestly

Efrain
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

seems to be gone again :S not a heat up this time...

well the only headgasket i found was a chepo one, could not found a gm item. didnt trust it in the first place.

was trying to solve a electrical problem that was causing a heavy missfire, ended up being some faulty ignition plugs of the wiring

after i got that fixed i went to test it and 1, 2, 3... 4th...i heard a big backfire and lifted and started to smoke like "vapor smoke like" a lot and a very rough idle.

im HOPING is the headgasket because i found water in the oil again and the small water tank is almost empty. but i have a bad feeling that its not.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Maybe the heads gone pourous... was it a Coscast head? Or a GM one?

Could be potentially disasterous :S
SAZ
---------------------