Factory T22SED crankshaft and connecting rod strength..

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Big P

Factory T22SED crankshaft and connecting rod strength..

Post by Big P »

Hi guys, I haven't posted here in a long time. I have been working primarily on my camaro project, but have almost come to the end of it. Just need to buy a few more parts, and have the body and paint work completed and she'll be all done. So I started thinking about doing some research on the turbo T22SED engine that I want to build and drop into my 1994 Pontiac Sunbird. I would like for this to be *somewhat* durable. I am looking to achieve a MAXIMUM of 400 flywheel horsepower at around 22-25 PSI of boost. Anyway, I know the technology has come a long way since I last checked a few years ago, so here goes...
What would be the highest, yet reliable(and I use that term loosely, this is a turbo engine!) horsepower figure for the stock T22SED crankshaft and connecting rods? Nomally I would spare no expense. Even my camaro has an all foged bottom end/rotating assembly. But is there still a lack of aftermarket vendors for thsi application? I think that it would end up being very pricey to have a forged crank and rods made up for this engine. I will use all ARP fasteners, probably main studs and connecting rod botls, and head botls for definite. Spend a good bit of money to have the block work done, magnaflux, shot peen and stress relieve the rods, have them set up for floating pins, ARP wave loc bolts(or whatever the better ones are called) installed with forged pistons. For around town street driving, I will probably only end up using about 12-15 PSI and then when I take it to the track, ramp it up to full boost. What do you guys think, is it een feasible with the stock parts? Thanks for your time Paul M
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

im not sure about the numbers you can reach on stock. but there are alot of things you can do to strenthen (sp) oem parts. ie nitride, cryo, shotpeen, debur (sp) and such. im betting garrett aka gse turbo will be able to give you more info than i can.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

well existance is a good reference for the strength of the OE stuff. his internals are 100% stock and there has been no troubles.

when you get a chance go to my site, daftart.com, and see what we have available. the site is still very young but there is a lot of stuff on there. the one thing I haven't added was the rods, we have rods available for the 2.0 and 1.6 but there are very good rods availble from the UK for the 2.2... CLICK HERE

I also have a very strong 2.2 motor for sale. I have 8.5:1 Wisec pistons, ARP Head and main studs and ARP bolt. the crank was knife-edged and lightened by 6lbs the rods could still be de-cast if needed but everything was balanced and cryo treated. the rods where also conversted to use floating pins. the motor was going to be sold twice but I have yet to get a comitment from either buyer. if you are interested we can tlak about prices.

Garrett
Big P

Post by Big P »

Well you know, I have been doing some thinking about this. 400HP for the 2.2L T22SED seems a little overboard. Seeing as how this car is still going to be my daily driver when the turbo project is done, and I already have a 500 HP street/strip camaro, I have decided to tone it down a bit. I think that 300 flywheel horsepower is a much more realistic goal. It will be less stress on the engine, the car, and my wallet. So, with that being said, is 300FWHP more do-able with the factory crank and rods? Still gonna get forged pistons. But not having to pop a huge chunk of cheese for a custom made forged crank and rods will help the project come along much faster.
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

300+ is being done right now with the 2.0 engine. Isn't the 2.2 stronger?
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

C20GET wrote: Isn't the 2.2 stronger?
yup.