Turbo Optra - Now on tuned Haltech @ 225whp

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

exist3nce
Expert

Lexification

Post by exist3nce »

I've been looking at getting another car for a while as something fresh to start. The Optra has served me well, however I think its time for a new project.

A few reasons, as this is what the Optra would require to go further:

- Good condition F28's are quite rare these days, and rebuild parts have been discontinued - mine is working ok, but mileage is high and its old
- The motor is a little tired, compression is slightly low, it could use a rebuild
- I would need a standalone EMS to push any more power safely (along with custom cam/crank sensor setup) - Would go with AEM EMS
- Stronger axles (already broke one)
- New set of 750cc+ injectors

The answer:

2002 Lexus IS300 :D

For those who don't know it has the 3.0L Inline 6 cyl 2JZ-GE motor (basically a NA Supra motor). 232,000 km on the clock. Color is Intensa Blue Pearl. All factory options, heated leather + LSD. Previous owner already installed Tien S tech springs and Clutchmasters Stage 4 Ceramic clutch. Also has a nice sub custom built into the floor of the trunk.

Image Image Image Image Image

And now for the goodies that I've started to collect.... More to come here ;)

Divided T4 Stainless manifold
Racetronix SMP 850 cc/min injectors

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by exist3nce on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
exist3nce
Expert

Project factory Optra

Post by exist3nce »

As for the future of the Optra, my original intention was to remove the turbo related parts and use every bit I could on the IS300, thus converting the Optra back to NA. However when I was at the shop I was convinced to keep it turbo, but with a setup oriented towards driveability, useful torque and quick spool. Essentially converting it to a factory turbo car.... how it should have come from the factory :P

We used a CT12B turbo which is one of the stock twins from a 1994 USDM Supra. Max power it can push is about 220whp. Here you can also see the modified section of the downpipe and the custom internal gate setup with a 6psi actuator. Also the manifold has been modified to fit the smaller turbo with a set of T3 flanges. The whole turbo/manifold package is very compact.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

CT12B taken apart:

Image Image Image

Stock IS300 muffler adapted to fit the Optra:

Image Image Image

The setup with new intercooler and an oldsschool HKS SQV BOV:

Image Image Image

The following parts will be donated to the IS300 project (yet still allow the optra to run low-mid boost)

- Precision FMIC
- T4/T04B Turbo
- Walbro 255 Fuel pump
- Return fuel system
- Apexi AVCR
- Supra TT OEM muffler (in trade for the IS300 OEM muffler)
- Turbosmart 38mm external wastegate
- TurboXS BOV
- Water/meth injection kit

The Optra will be tuned for 91oct gas.
Last edited by exist3nce on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
exist3nce
Expert

Re: Turbo Optra - New Direction and different setup

Post by exist3nce »

Just thought I'd post review of the new turbo setup since I've been driving it now for about 2 weeks.

This setup is actually still alot of fun to drive! The torque is available much earlier (as I get full spool 6psi at 2300 - 2500 RPM). You can even feel the added torque before its fully spooled down to 2000 RPM. I can literally drive 25km to work without shifting over 3000 RPM and still be getting ahead of most traffic :) Even just cruising around in 5th or 6th gear, you just dig into the throttle a little and theres no problem to pass anyone. And when you do rev it out the car is still quick enough (altho not as fast as before ofcourse).

For anyone looking for a suitable turbo to put on their Forenza/Optra to make under 200whp I would say this is a good choice. They are cheap and readily available and provide a nice bump in torque and power.

Now just waiting for my manual boost controller to be delivered ;)
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

good to hear!
are you running 6psi max?

it reminds of an article on autospeed about turbocharging for torque
using a small turbo to add low end torque but little to no added top end power which resulted in gearboxes lasting longer and better fuel economy due to being able to drive like a diesel (i.e. keep the revs low but still have enough torque to get around)

sounds great mate
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

autospeed.com.au/cms/title_-Turbod-for-Torque/A_111106/article.html
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Hi bud - good luck with the Lexus!!

As for the Optra - sounds like a very good idea to convert to a more drivable car - I am sure you will still enjoy every moment with it.

I am also buiding a smaller 200WHP Opel Corsa running a TD04H turbo on a 1600 Daewoo motor - again looking at reliabillity and driveability like your Optra.

Keep us posted on your progress :D
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Sounds cool, take it to the track a see what 1/4 mile does.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Project factory Optra

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote: setup oriented towards driveability, useful torque and quick spool. Essentially converting it to a factory turbo car.... how it should have come from the factory :P
First, congratulations on your new project car, the IS300 is an easy go fast car with lots of support in North Amercia, I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it.

I do feel compeled to point out that your Optra was equivilent to a lightly modified stock Astra VXR, so it was more or less allready like a factory turbo car with a medium-low stock boost level.

As far as the gearbox issues, the F28 is not the only gearbox, the M32 is able to handle tons of power, it's cheap and now available all over North America

As people develop the cruze further there will be more an more companies selling limited slip differencials, upgraded internal components, race axles for the M32.

In short, you had a great project car that was just scratching the edge of it's potential.

If you had dumped the money you spent on the IS300 into the Optra you could have pushed it into the same arena as heavily modified Mazdaspeed 3, Lancer EVO, Subaru STi
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

benzino wrote:good to hear!
are you running 6psi max?

it reminds of an article on autospeed about turbocharging for torque
using a small turbo to add low end torque but little to no added top end power which resulted in gearboxes lasting longer and better fuel economy due to being able to drive like a diesel (i.e. keep the revs low but still have enough torque to get around)

sounds great mate

thanks! For now its running 6psi which is base actuator pressure. The boost comes in at 6psi but tapers off in the higher RPMs due to exhaust pressure forcing open the wastegate. I'm waiting for my manual ball and spring boost controller to get delivered in the mail to try to help correct this problem. I would like to be able to hold 6psi all the way to redline, and I might up it a little more to 7 or 8 psi.

I have been working on the IS all this week..... It came time to put in the Walbro pump I had in the Optra. Upon closer inspection, I forgot that we modified the neck of the Walbro pump for specific fitment into the Optra fuel pump basket. So that pump cannot be used on the IS, so a brand new Walbro GSS342 will be going in the IS. This Walbro GSS317 will be going back into the Optra :) lol
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Nubaroo wrote:Hi bud - good luck with the Lexus!!

As for the Optra - sounds like a very good idea to convert to a more drivable car - I am sure you will still enjoy every moment with it.

I am also buiding a smaller 200WHP Opel Corsa running a TD04H turbo on a 1600 Daewoo motor - again looking at reliabillity and driveability like your Optra.

Keep us posted on your progress :D

The Lexus is coming along nicely so far :) Yes this certainly beats converting the Optra back to NA lol I will be posting up new dynos after I get my boost controller :D

Might take it to the 1/4 mile or might not..... I'm curious to know, but I also know that whatever it is, its going to be slower than before :(
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

PrecisionBoost wrote:
exist3nce wrote: setup oriented towards driveability, useful torque and quick spool. Essentially converting it to a factory turbo car.... how it should have come from the factory :P
First, congratulations on your new project car, the IS300 is an easy go fast car with lots of support in North Amercia, I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it.

I do feel compeled to point out that your Optra was equivilent to a lightly modified stock Astra VXR, so it was more or less allready like a factory turbo car with a medium-low stock boost level.

As far as the gearbox issues, the F28 is not the only gearbox, the M32 is able to handle tons of power, it's cheap and now available all over North America

As people develop the cruze further there will be more an more companies selling limited slip differencials, upgraded internal components, race axles for the M32.

In short, you had a great project car that was just scratching the edge of it's potential.

If you had dumped the money you spent on the IS300 into the Optra you could have pushed it into the same arena as heavily modified Mazdaspeed 3, Lancer EVO, Subaru STi
Thanks Chris.

I have to disagree with you about it being like a factory turbo car... The turbo (T4/T04B) was purposely oversized for the power I was running for several reasons.

1) to help reduce low end torque and gain top end efficiency and power
2) sized for future expandability
3) would be considered very laggy for a "factory turbo car" - I can't imagine any car coming that way from the factory and the average driver being happy with it

As for the F28, I know there are now other options available. However this means a whole new custom transmission project, this time with a different shift linkage as well.

I may pick up again with the Optra later on, but for now it stays with the small turbo. Another thing to note is that the Optra was always my only car, so I could not afford to have it down for long periods of time. The benefit to having two cars now is that one should always be driveable so that I can work on the other without rushing.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote: I have to disagree with you about it being like a factory turbo car... The turbo (T4/T04B) was purposely oversized for the power I was running for several reasons.

1) to help reduce low end torque and gain top end efficiency and power
2) sized for future expandability
3) would be considered very laggy for a "factory turbo car" - I can't imagine any car coming that way from the factory and the average driver being happy with it

As for the F28, I know there are now other options available. However this means a whole new custom transmission project, this time with a different shift linkage as well.

I may pick up again with the Optra later on, but for now it stays with the small turbo. Another thing to note is that the Optra was always my only car, so I could not afford to have it down for long periods of time. The benefit to having two cars now is that one should always be driveable so that I can work on the other without rushing.
I do remember talking about the Torque problems you were having, I agreed back then that the larger turbo was a good choice to make it more reliable.... it's just that you scratched the surface with 13.5psi of boost and did not take advantage of Point#2 about expadability.

I had allways hoped to see you take you Optra up into the 350hp+ range

I can proimse you I know lots about needing a reliable everyday car, I have such a busy business/family life that I'm hard pressed to put in more than 40 hours a year on my cars and I don't trust anyone to help me so my cars sit for months at a time between stages of build up.

That's why I bought a mitsu lancer ralliart, which it a horrible excuse for a car compared to my project vehicles.

In your case your not buying the IS300 as your daily driver to make your Optra fast, your downgrading your Optra to a daily driver so you can make your IS300 fast.

Honestly, it's the easier, less expensive way to have a fun 350hp car, but there are shitloads of modified IS300's out there, where as Canada has perhaps only a couple of Modified Optra's in the whole country.

I guess it comes down to being a little disapointed in your Optra project, I allways thought you would eventually go all in and build a beast.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

For those interested in seeing the Lexus project ;)

Turbo mounted and in its final resting position!

Intercooler and BOV!
Image Image

See the full thread here:

http://my.is/forums/f219/2002-is300-5mt ... ss-437118/
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

what a baby turbo!

the 2jz deserves better than that...
are you actually trying to make it drivable or something?

:p
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

benzino wrote:what a baby turbo!

the 2jz deserves better than that...
are you actually trying to make it drivable or something?

:p

LOL yes it is a little small for making big power on the 2J, but thats not the goal for phase1 of this project. The turbo is from my Optra, and we estimate should be good for somewhere between 350 - 400 whp. That will be plenty of power to start off with in my first RWD car. Also dont forget this is the 2JZ-GE with VVT-i which is the NA version of the motor with weaker pistons and rods and higher compression. I think it will be enough to put a big smile on my face for now haha