Turbo Optra - Now on tuned Haltech @ 225whp

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Hello Nubaroo haven't heard from you in a while ...... I've actually switched over to a 0.84 housing on my T4. So its even a bit more laggy now, but feels better in the top end. My last dyno graph is posted.... just look further up on page 25.
Last edited by exist3nce on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:Hello Nubaroo haven't heard from you in a while ...... I've actually switched over to a 0.84 housing on my T4. So its even a bit more laggy now, but feels better in the top end. My last dyno graph is posted.... just look further up on page 26.
Page 25*

The .84 housing is since that last dyno graph right?

What is your bottom motor mounts filled with? I just filled mine with (83 I think) urethane and I get lots of unwanted vibrations just off idle. Other than that of course I got slight more vibrations all through the power band but it's not bad at all. The vibrations just off idle create like a bass sound too.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

kinkyllama wrote:
exist3nce wrote:Hello Nubaroo haven't heard from you in a while ...... I've actually switched over to a 0.84 housing on my T4. So its even a bit more laggy now, but feels better in the top end. My last dyno graph is posted.... just look further up on page 26.
Page 25*

The .84 housing is since that last dyno graph right?

What is your bottom motor mounts filled with? I just filled mine with (83 I think) urethane and I get lots of unwanted vibrations just off idle. Other than that of course I got slight more vibrations all through the power band but it's not bad at all. The vibrations just off idle create like a bass sound too.
Haha my bad, corrected that. Yes I've switched to the 0.84 just this past weekend.

I filled my mount with "metal epoxy". Yes as you said much more vibrations at idle, and for me around 2500rpm as well. It didn't really bother me that much, I would gladly take that in exchange for mushy mounts that move. It was working great until about 2 weeks after I filled it (the tranny mount) the epoxy seemed to crack apart and come out..... so its back to unfilled now :? I guess I have to think of another method.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

You have been a "busy bee" since the last time we chatted - bigger turbo, oil seperator, epoxying your engine mounts etc etc etc.... One can clearly see you love ur car. I get a bit "OFF" with mine from time to time, especially when something goes wrong, but then it takes just one good run and all is forgiven LOL

I see from your dyno graphs that it looks VERY similar to my car`s curves - the power and torque curves look alsmost identical. I was getting worried on mine when comparing it to OTHER turbo cars. Most of them have a distinct torque curve ramping from 0 rpm to say 1500rpm and then flatlining for the rest of the rev range.

Any idea why ours look different???

Another thing that bothers me is my car`s oil consumption - okay the valve cover leaks a little bit ( Nubira curse), but I am using approx. 1 litre of oil on every 500KM. The engine has only done approx. 6000KM since the last rebuilt and there is no excessive exhaust gass smoke when running normal and low boost. On high boost however I get some BLACK smoke from the exhaust initially and then nothing - I am not sure if it is burning oil or if it is just overfuelling???? ( I am using a good grade full synthetic motor oil - Castrol Edge Sport - 12W - 40 )
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Nubaroo wrote:You have been a "busy bee" since the last time we chatted - bigger turbo, oil seperator, epoxying your engine mounts etc etc etc.... One can clearly see you love ur car. I get a bit "OFF" with mine from time to time, especially when something goes wrong, but then it takes just one good run and all is forgiven LOL

I see from your dyno graphs that it looks VERY similar to my car`s curves - the power and torque curves look alsmost identical. I was getting worried on mine when comparing it to OTHER turbo cars. Most of them have a distinct torque curve ramping from 0 rpm to say 1500rpm and then flatlining for the rest of the rev range.

Any idea why ours look different???

Another thing that bothers me is my car`s oil consumption - okay the valve cover leaks a little bit ( Nubira curse), but I am using approx. 1 litre of oil on every 500KM. The engine has only done approx. 6000KM since the last rebuilt and there is no excessive exhaust gass smoke when running normal and low boost. On high boost however I get some BLACK smoke from the exhaust initially and then nothing - I am not sure if it is burning oil or if it is just overfuelling???? ( I am using a good grade full synthetic motor oil - Castrol Edge Sport - 12W - 40 )
Hahaha yah I have been changing a few things lately :D

I know what you mean about the problems......... when something bad happens you feel like crap and getting rid of the car. But then when its fixed and working again, you love it! lol

As for the torque curves, if you see when I have a flat boost curve the torque is like a "hump". Comes up, plateaus at around 4600rpm, then starts dropping off again soon after. This dropping off of the torque after 5000rpm is what I'm trying to prevent, because it kills top end performance (think highway 100km/h +) If you look at a dyno graph of a stock motor, you will see that it follows the same shape. Its just the way the head, intake manifold, and cams were designed from the factory.

Ideal torque curve is like you said, rises up quickly and stay as a flat line all the way to rev limiter, thus giving the most POWER from the available torque. This is what I was trying to replicate with the AVCR and rising boost curve.

That oil consumption does not sound too good. I also have some leak around the valvecover, and have a fair bit of oil residue come out of the PCV hose (thats why I built the catch can). But the most I ever loose is maybe 400mL over 4000km. And my motor is 100% stock, never been rebuilt and has 80,000km on it.

Are you sure you don't have some other leak that you don't notice? Does it make white or blue smoke on cold starts? 1L/500km is alot, so it has to be going somewhere.
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

No smoke on start-up at all. What I do find is when I start my car in the mornings I like to let it idle for approx. 3 - 5 minutes for oil circulation and if I am parked close to a wall I find that the condensation mark on the wall is pitch black. Some guys reckon my turbo seals are on their way out, but because of the high turbo temperature, the small quantity of oil leaking through the seals is vapourised and settles in the exhaust, thus being expelled on cold starts..??
:oops: :oops:

I must say that when I rebuilt the engeine recently - I found scratch marks on most of the sleeves (340 000KM does that you know LOL) that "honing/polishing" the sleeves did not remove....maybe under the higher boost pressure some oil (not enough to make blue smoke ) is making its way past the rings, hence the higer oil consumption?

I think I should redo the engine with forged internals and new sleeves, but keep the boost under 1 bar. That way I will have a bullet proof bottom end and reliabillity as well. Like I said previously - I should be happy with what I have, make the most of it and remeber - THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE FASTER THAN YOU NO MATTER HOW MUCH U SPEND ON UR CAR!!!!!!LOL

But enough about MY car - I dont recall seeing many pics of your car on the forum?? Please advise where I can see some pics. You have spent quite a lot of time and money on the car - are you going to do any bodywork, or are you going to keep it a "sleeper"??

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Nubaroo wrote:THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE FASTER THAN YOU NO MATTER HOW MUCH U SPEND ON UR CAR!!!!!!LOL

But enough about MY car - I dont recall seeing many pics of your car on the forum?? Please advise where I can see some pics. You have spent quite a lot of time and money on the car - are you going to do any bodywork, or are you going to keep it a "sleeper"??
I have learned that as well......... theres always someone faster haha.

Ya I guess thats true I don't have too many pictures of my car posted, but then again its nothing that special to see from the outside. If you look through my thread you will find all of the significant pictures of my project.

I don't have any plans for bodywork or exterior stuff except maybe a projector HID retrofit if I can afford it. I want it to stay sleeper and stay under the radar when it comes to cops looking for "modified" cars.
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

We are very lucky here in South Africa - most cops don`t care about modified cars, or they are simply just too stupid to know a modified car when they see one LOL

All they care about is sitting in hiding with a speed camera trying to bust poor law obiding citizens that exceed the speed limit every now and again.

The law in SA says that if a car does not come from the factory with a turbo and you fit one afterwards it is illegal and can have it`s liscense revoked immediatelly.....!

However I have had a few cops check out my car and commented on how cool it is without any of them being a pain in the ass. As long as they don`t see you driving recklessly they pretty much leave you alone.

exist3nce
Expert

F28 coming

Post by exist3nce »

This is my F28 that I bought from UK through a user on migweb. Shipping it over to Canada with Parcel2Go.

Heres some pics of it being packed up:

Image Image Image

Don't have a timeline yet for the install..... still waiting on some other parts.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

cool congrats, time to crank that boost!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

You lucky bugger you!!!!

I am so envious right now - I gotta have one as well. What cost in ZAR did u have to fork out to get this on your doorstep???? :D :D :D :D

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Excellent!!!! The 2nd F28 in Canada!! ;) And I think that what I am seeing on the photo is the mechanical speedo pickup??

Good job!!

Post by exist3nce »

Nubaroo wrote:You lucky bugger you!!!!

I am so envious right now - I gotta have one as well. What cost in ZAR did u have to fork out to get this on your doorstep???? :D :D :D :D
Cost of the gearbox was 350 GBP = about $700 CAD, it has 77k miles and seller claims it is in good condition with no crunches or whining.

Shipping is another 161 GBP including insurance

So total cost should be around $1020 CAD to my door, provided I don't get slapped with some extra duties or tax.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

GsiTurbo wrote:Excellent!!!! The 2nd F28 in Canada!! ;) And I think that what I am seeing on the photo is the mechanical speedo pickup??

Good job!!
Well its not in Canada yet haha.... Soon though. And yes it is a mechanical speedo pickup! :)
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

It was a good exchange rate too!!! Thankfully, the CAD dollar is quite strong world-wide, due to very weak US dollar. I bought a couple of items off eBay the other day and was getting about US 1.10 for 1 CAD :)