Lanos swap.

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Re: Lanos swap.

Post by benzino »

thanks mate
i read on a corsa site that the belt to use is a 6 rib 925mm but i'll mock and measure as well and probably get a couple longer and shorter than that to try.

you have me worried about the mount. are you saying the mount that i bought from you is too short?
i dont understand why you're talking about the 1.6... please don't scare me :lol:

if you could get back to me ASAP the leganza engine is coming out today
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

kinkyllama wrote:Finally pics:
...here are a couple pics from Danny doing the swap with the same bracketa while ago. see the space between the motor mount and the bracket. the mount that came standard for the 2.0 chassis stuck out further to meet the bracket. the 1.6 motor mout is shorter (why the manufacturers did this is a good question). all you will need to do is add a spacer between there.

I never noticed it befor because I've always used the 2.0L Lemans mount. I started a swap over the weekend using a 1.6L Lemans/Lanos mount and noticed the gap. I went through a ton of measuring, double and tripple checking everything before I noticed that the mount is all that is defferent.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

well thanks heaps for letting me know

good timing lol

so you reckon 0.25". I'll go to the metal shop now then...

the leganza engine is just about to pop out, just have to take mounts off and unbolt the box
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

mount had spacer welded to it this afternoon

engine finally came out after a lot of swearing

word to the wise
DROP THE ENGINE AND GEARBOX TOGETHER
lol
the only good thing with pulling the engine separate is you don't have to muck around with ball joints and driveshafts
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

good work!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

today and yesterday were total write-offs

yesterday the powersteering bracket, the holes were off and a bolt snapped trying to mount it

today getting the 1.5 SOHC, couldn't get the crankshaft pulley off so just tried pulling it out with it on ( it worked for the leganza )
everything was unbolted and the engine started coming but it just wouldn't clear the guard... tried everything so we thought, we'll bolt it back up to the gearbox so at least i'll have one working car while everything gets sorted

what do you know, couldn't get the gearbox to line back up with the engine... FML

sooo... before i have to pay someone to come out and do it, any tips? (other than drop the gearbox)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

As someone who has pulled many engines from both Lanos and Lemans I can promise you that it's far quicker to pull the engine and gearbox together from underneath the car.

I don't like pulling the ball joints so I simply remove the bolts from the control arms, then you can pull the driveshafts from the gearbox without removing the suspension.

In one project we separated the ball joint and pulled out the entire strut assembly in one shot with the drive axles still attached to the hubs

Technically one could go one step further by removing the strut bolts in the engine bay and the two control arm bolts, then the entire suspension would be remove in one shot, the only things you would have to "disconnect" would be the tie rods and the sway bar links which are by far the easiest things to remove and reinstall.

You have to remove the connection to the gearbox linkage, most of the electrical, clutch connections, heater core hoses and the usual items removed during an engine swap

Once the driveshafts are out of the way you support the engine/gearbox, remove the mounts and drop the engine down onto the ground ( ideally use an old tarp with pieces of wood underneath to make it stable and movable ).

Then once the engine is stable and on the ground you hook up the engine hoist to the front tow hooks, lift the front end of the car in the air and slide the engine out ( thus the reason for the old tarp )

The whole process of engine swapping can be done from start to finish in about 8 hours if you've done it once or twice.

The main reason I like to do it this way is because it's easier to bolt up the gearbox outside and you don't have to remove anything from the engine for the install ( such as pulleys or belts )

I think I may even have some pictures on here of one of the swaps, but I'm not sure, I will check around.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a link to one of the swap projects, it has some useful pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... lanos+swap
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

thank you so much!

We'll try doing that
bloody annoying when you come so far and then right at the end things don't go the way you think

how hard is it to pull out axles?
I called a friend who is a mobile mechanic, he's going to come have a look and give his expert opinion

if I drop the engine I'm going to be putting the 2.0 in and try to finish this... I don't think I'll ever want to do an engine swap again :lol: hopefully the final result is worth it...
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

honestly. if you just remove all the mounts and support the tranny with a jack or jack stand the engine practically falls out. having the tranny unbolted with the axles still gives more than enough room to pull the motor.

it took me two hours to pull engine alone from an automatic Nubira and an hour and fourtyfive to pull engine alone from a 5-speed Lanos.

I pulled the engine and tranny together when I did the first swap in my daily Lanos and and the same in the 5-speed Nubira that I got from Debo. it took longer to drop them together then pulling the engine alone.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

will the crankshaft pulley clear the guard though?

and how about lining them back up?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: Technically one could go one step further by removing the strut bolts in the engine bay and the two control arm bolts, then the entire suspension would be remove in one shot, the only things you would have to "disconnect" would be the tie rods and the sway bar links which are by far the easiest things to remove and reinstall.

The whole process of engine swapping can be done from start to finish in about 8 hours if you've done it once or twice.
gse_turbo wrote:SSOOOO.... since I had to pull the lower control arm to swap out ball joints I decided to install the motor and tranny together from the bottom. I lifted up the front end and slid the two in through the wheel well.

Image Image Image Image
Here is the swap I first did into the my daily Lanos. It wasn't a bad way to do it but I upgraded everything in the front of the car anyways so there was no reason not to do it that way.

I didn't take picks of the motor coming out of my other Lanos but it was so simple I didn't bother.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

benzino wrote:will the crankshaft pulley clear the guard though?

and how about lining them back up?
absolutely. I didn't take anything off the motor when it was coming out.

as far as the realigning, I've never had an issue before. I don't have my other Lanos together yet because I'm using the car to mock up a defferent motor swap so I can't really speak on this one specifically.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

...I did have the radiator out tho. where as when I pulled the motor out from the bottom I didn't even bother pulling the fans out.