Optra 5 Turbo Project Started !!!!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Tom at 360 Dynamics got it for me.

It's a custom made cast manifold (not a factory item) but the manufacturer has a decent supply of the parts and can make more if demand is high enough.

I realize that the 1.6L would be something most guys would be interested in but the problem is that Tom doesn't have a 1.6L to fool around with. (his car has a 2.0L 8V turbo and he bought a 2.0L 16V Nubira engine off me last fall..... which may end up going into his Gsi or a Lanos if he can find one cheap enough)

For my part I'm only interested in fooling around with stuff that will benifit my car..... so Tom has been focusing more on the 2.0L because we work together
( I have no involvement with 360 Dynamics..... we do research together and help each other out on projects... and most of the time we work on stuff at my shop since I have all kinds of tools.... I even have a metal lathe )

If I wasn't doing this 2.0L turbo project there is a good chance that he would have focused on the 1.6L.

The good news for you guys is that we have a friend with an Aveo...... so the 1.6L is going to recieve some attension when our buddy starts to fix up his car (he's allready purchased springs from Tom)
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Erfinder:

Go ahed with that 2.0l 16v turbo project, because I will follow you in every thing that you do.
-If you put a To3 turbo, I will do it
-if you put a intercoller from eclipse, I will do it
-If you run you turbo with 5 psi of boost, I will do it
-If you run you turbo with 8 psi of boost, I will do it
-If you run you turbo with 12 psi of boost, I will do it
-If you brake your engine at 12 lb, I will... have for sale a 2.0l turbo kit :lol:

Can you tell me the parts needed for a basic 8 psi boost turbo.
ImageImage
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Id put a turbo in my car now (if i was willing to spend my whole bank accound) but i lack the knowledge to do it myself and figure out the best setup for me with autocross and track

There will be more intrest in the 2.0l parts over time. . . the lacetti just came out in the US (and Canada?).
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... since this is the same basic block design as the C20LET,C20GET most of the required parts are easily found.

So things like the coolant lines and Oil lines will be attached to the same locations as the C20GET. ( In fact I will be using my C20GET parts from my other engine )

Basicly the first required part is the turbo manifold. (from 360 Dynamics)

Second is the wastegate ( which I have from 360 Dynamics )

Third is the Turbo ( most likely a new T3 from 360 Dynamics )

Tom and I will work together on a downpipe that smoothly integrates the wastegate tube into the exhaust. ( I don't know if Tom has access to a part that's allready made.... but if he doesn't I'm sure he will end up selling replicas of the downpipe we put together at my shop )

I have allready purchased a 20 foot piece of Stainless 304 2.5" seemless 0.065" wall pipe for the exhaust.

I allready have an Apexi SAFC-II and an MSD DIS-2 ignition system with a Neon coil pack on order. (and of course I will be putting an "MSD driver" for myself to make everything work good )

I'm most likely going to make my own electronics "engine hack" to make it happy with the turbo installed. ( I will give Tom schematics once I've finished my design )

I will not be touching the engines internals at the moment... I want to see how happy the car is with totaly stock parts.

Eventually I will be upgrading or replacing the stock engine with parts that are better suited for higher boost levels.... but that could be a year or two away.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

What year is this Optra? Does it have the Delphi Engine management witht the 2 plugs (m,K)? If so let me know how you hook up the SAFC
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes... it does have the Delphi system.... the SAFC II is in but I haven't picked it up yet... I will be detailing all parts of the install.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

cool thanks. Because I was think of putting a optra 2.0 in the aveo. and was wondering if they had the same ecu or if the Aveo ecu and wiring would be the same.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm sure there are differences.... I was considering the idea of making a plug and play wiring harness to make a 2.0L to Aveo swap relatively easy.

I have access to an Aveo and I have a couple of new engines to play with so it's just a matter of me getting some time to fool around with it (which could take a while since it's not high on my priority list )
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

that's cool because ot will prob be awhile before I do a swap
Chip

Post by Chip »

Brian5475E wrote:cool thanks. Because I was think of putting a optra 2.0 in the aveo. and was wondering if they had the same ecu or if the Aveo ecu and wiring would be the same.
The ECM and the pin-outs are exactly the same between the Aveo and the Optra motors, at least in the US. They do, however, have different calibrations. You would have to get a dealer to reflash the ECM with the 2.0L calibration.

-Chip
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com