Project AveoSS

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The fuel system is an interesting problem.... the Aveo is a "returnless" system where as the C20GET is a "return" system.

It is possible to convert over to a return fuel system but there are lots of turbo cars that work just fine with a returnless system (such as the SRT4)

Basicly it's just a matter of converting the fuel rail over so it doesn't use the regular C20GET regulator.

Super Sprint is going to stay returnless for now.... and if there are issues with getting enough fuel through the system we will convert it later.

One advantage of the Megasquirt is that it's easy to make changes in the fuel system.

The C20GET should also be fine since the Aveo fuel pressure is pretty much identical from what I remember ( I think it was 3 bar at idle )

If there are changes then the C20GET is slightly harder to make happy.... but you can allways install an aftermarket computer like the SAFC to increase the duty cycle of the injectors (add fuel)

The Megasquirt will be much harder to install and the tuning required will be significant since it will most likely have to be from scratch (unless we find another J-Body guy running a C20GET/Megasquirt who is willing to send us the initial maps )

One other issue is the Aveo stock fuel pump...... at this point we really don't know how much fuel it can push through the system..... we won't know until we turn up the boost and watch for a drop in fuel pressure and air fuel ratio on the dyno.

I don't know what the stock pump looks like..... but it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade it... who knows.... perhaps an SRT4 pump will work.... you never know until you start comparing.

Basicly your project will be a few months behind project Super swift (if you have everything ready to go when you get the engine) so we should have all the kinks worked out before you start turning a wrench.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
AveoSS_8

Post by AveoSS_8 »

yeah thats my guess. hopefully it can go fairly smooth for me lol
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I printed off about 40 pages worth of wiring schematics and connector diagrams and I could not find any information on the vehicle speed sensor as far as how many pulses per mile the Aveo sensor puts out.

However it does seem that the VSS signal is fed directly into the instrument cluster and the ECU.... so that should mean that the speedometer should read perfectly since the ECU is not modifying the signal prior to going to the Instrument cluster.

I do not however know if that signal will be compatible with the C20GET as far as pulses per revolution or pulses per mile.

I'm not sure if that will make much of a difference, I think the ECU will be ok if the signal is slightly different.

I do have to wonder if the ECU has some sort of fuel cut as a speed limiter.

I don't know what that would be for the sunbird.... but it would really suck if the ECU started to cut fuel when you hit 60MPH instead of 120 MPH due to a differences in input pulses on the Vehicle speed sensor.

With the megasquirt it won't matter since there is no speed limiter... but I don't really know how to test the D16 speed sensor.... hmmmm.... now that I think of it.... I think Tom has info on the F20/F16 speed sensor which should be the same as the D16..... I will ask him tommorow if I remember.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

PrecisionBoost wrote:... but I don't really know how to test the D16 speed sensor.... hmmmm.... now that I think of it.... I think Tom has info on the F20/F16 speed sensor which should be the same as the D16..... I will ask him tommorow if I remember.
I would be interested in this information as well.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

When doing radical ECU swaps like this it's a norm to keep the OEM ecu to run things like the cooling fan, AC clutch, speedo, etc. You just cut the wires out of the loom to the fuel/spark/emmisions systems (though I've recently become an earth-nugget and think it best to keep the emissions) and though the ECU is in limp mode, it's not controlling anything related to engine power... just required ancillaries...

It's a thought...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Tom said he didn't hook up the speed sensor to his C20GET and it worked just fine....... he also said that he never recieved a MIL (check engine light) for the VSS.

With regards to keeping the old ECU..... in the case of super swift I'm getting the 1.6L 16V ECU and sensor wiring.

To me.... using the simple factory OBD1 C20GET ECU to control the C20GET Engine is still the best choice.

The Megasquirt has quite a bit of control and has fan control and idle air control..... but you have to know what to set it at to make sure it will work correctly.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
AveoSS_8

Post by AveoSS_8 »

So im going to need to pick up megasquirt it looks like as well?? Im good with computers and everything is that a difficult program to use??
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: With regards to keeping the old ECU..... in the case of super swift I'm getting the ECU and sensor wiring.

To me.... using the simple factory OBD1 C20GET ECU to control the C20GET Engine is still the best choice.
garrett