tell me what you think!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

so if water is the issue then why not use the water/fuel separators that would come in run of the mill TDI vehicle?

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

water/fuel separators wouldn't work..... Diesel and Gasoline are not water soluble... where as Ethanol is..... so it disolves into the water the second it comes in contact with it.

Think of it like salt and water..... when you mix the two and create salt water you have a hell of a time separating it again.

So were you planning on E85 as your primary fuel????

Or were you planning to run a separate fuel cell with separate injectors for "high boost" mode? (which is what I had planned.... since E85 will decrease detonation threshold in a big way )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

i will plan to run E85 as my primary fuel though but i will have a 'preset' for 91 pump gas in my EMU for a back up.
.... since E85 will decrease detonation threshold in a big way.
that is the reason that i want to use ethanol, for the lower volatility and the fact that it can burn the full length of the stroke unlike petrol. (which is the reason it it deceases detonation)

thanks for all the info on chemical makeups and properties, it really adds a new dimension to the whole forums understanding of the greater system, engine efficiency.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Tom and I were talking and he was saying he wished they made an injector which could switch modes between low output and high output.

For example.... lets say your injector has 4 holes.... it would be cool if you could somehow block off two of them or reroute their fuel back to the rail.

That way open loop idle would be better when starting up the car.... since your "large" injector would only be squirting about as much fuel as the stock units.

I personally wish there was an injector which would allow you to inject two different fuels through the same end.... then you could have E85 and regular gasoline.

I would run the regular gasoline at regular fuel pressure and increase fuel pressure for the E85 with boost.

So at idle you'd be running gasoline and as you step into it the E85 would start to come into the picture.... and with high boost the majority of fuel would be E85

Anyways...... it's just something I thought would be cool for modified/high performance engines.

Of course you could allways do the same thing with E85 as your primary fuel and race gas as your secondary fuel.

With this type of system the vehicle would be cheaper to run since it only uses the more expensive race fuel during boost.

As a side note I've been looking into Hydrogen injection.... they use it on Diesel vehicles to gain power and fuel economy.

Unfortunatly I don't think it would be well suited for gasoline engines as hydrogen burns very fast (which helps the diesel engine)

I just wish there were some way to inject hydrogen at roughly 80 deg ATDC to help ignite and burn off the rest of the fuel that did not ignite initially.

I also wondered what would happen if you injected a small amount of diesel well before TDC.... with the low compression gas engine it wouldn't self ignite.... basicly the combustion of the gasoline via spark would be required to give enough energy to start the diesel burning.

Diesel will burn longer and produce a larger volume of exhaust compared to gasoline.... which would help turbo's spool up quickly.

I know that a small amount of diesel in gasoline is ok..... but I don't know if it hurts or helps performance/econonmy.

I also know that there are tractors which start up with gasoline (during cold weather) and switch to diesel as soon as the engine is warmed up.

This gets rid of the need for glow plugs and allows the engine to start at bellow freezing temperatures without being plugged in.

I know this is somewhat of a sidebar from the main topic... but I thought it would be a good place to chat about it since the primary question has allready been answered with respect to E85
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: I personally wish there was an injector which would allow you to inject two different fuels through the same end....

I would run the regular gasoline at regular fuel pressure and increase fuel pressure for the E85 with boost.

So at idle you'd be running gasoline and as you step into it the E85 would start to come into the picture.... and with high boost the majority of fuel would be E85

... since it only uses the more expensive race fuel during boost.
i like the way you're thinking but the system to make it function is the simple part, its the engine management that would be the challenging part.

(1st problem, injectors/ fuel rail) if you used four individual injector "manifolds" (like nitrous) that only linked the injectors by brackets then that would solve that problem. you'd get two fuels being run into one injector.

(2nd problem, the fuel switch over) if you split off the TPS you use the signals from the "full closed" and "full open" positions to switch from one (lower volume gasoline) fuel pump to the other (higher volume E85) fuel pump.

i'm sure there are more issues that would arise but this is my idea to get around these ones.

i like the idea of the dual-fuel system but just as a side note i only plant to run one fuel type, E85.

when i mentioned that i was planning on having petrol as a "back up" i meant that with a motec system or something like that you can have several pre-tuned settings.

the petrol "back up" would be used if ran out of gas in a place that didn't offer E85 and i needed gas.

garrett