direct coilpacks

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

well i was wanting to replace my ignition because im putting on a meth/water injection kit and i want to advance the ignition timing....do you know a better/cheaper way to advance the timing?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

why are you installing a meth/water injection kit??

It would help me if I knew what you were doing with your car..... are you running a turbo or naturally aspirated.... stock compression?? stock cams??

Timing...........

Well.... the teeth on the crankshaft is the primary timing signal.... the camshaft sensor is really only there for the sequential injection portion of the ECU.... I don't belive that it affects timing in any way.

So........ I'm thinking that even with adjustable cam gears you won't be advancing or retarding the ignition.

Hmmmm..... well..... the MSD system is a pain....and you have to get the Programable DIS-2 like Domwoo and I have to be able to make new ignition maps.

I would say that the easiest method to change the timing is to find a suitable piggyback system..... that way you can also control the fuel.

Unfortunatly is really easy to make a system increase fuel injector pulse width and retard ignition but it's very hard to decrease injector pulse width and advance timing. (trust me on this.... I'm an Electronics Eng. Tech. )

So.... you will have to be carefull and figure out which system is right for your needs.

Let me know what your planning and I will help you to find a good setup to allow you to adjust everything required.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

i really dont have a reason to put it on but to just make more power. im goin N/A and i didnt do enough research b4 i bought the injection kit that my cars timing is controlled by the ECU. i think the piggy back is a better idea too but ima have to go get it tuned too. i was just gonna experiment and run water thru it until i could figure out what im gonna do about the timing. what piggyback do u sugggest? ive been thinkin about the greddy e manage. i havnt done anything inside the engine yet (pistons or cams) or anything like that. i want to get some high compression piston but im waiting on those because im tryin to find the best deal and figure out what i need. thanks ALOT for helping me and if you have any ideas let me hear them. im open to any
these are my current mods:
custom intake, 2.5" downpipe, 2.25"exhaust, muffler, Lightweight UD pulley, water/methanol injection (not put on yet). i think thats it performance wise
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Your typical piggyback won't be much harder to tune than a Programable DIS2.

I'm sure there are a few degrees of advance to be had within the factory engine but I doubt you will make all that much power until you start to get a few other items such as high compression pistons, cams, adjustable cam gears.

The biggest power gain will be from the compression and cams.

I don't think your going to need the water/methanol injection until after you increase compression.

10.5:1 is a fairly mild compression change and if your serious you might want to consider 12:1

Then larger cams will make a significant difference..... but you definitly need adjustable cam gears... and you need to have someone check for valve to piston clearance prior to starting up the engine.

Any way you cut it the car will probably require some tuning and or assembly by a qualified shop.

I'd imagine you should be able to get something in the range of 180hp at the crank ( 150 to 160 at the wheels ) with decent work.

I will say that these power gains won't come cheap..... in fact.... it's probalby cheaper to source an allready fully functional low mileage Z20LET turbo engine from the UK ( 2.0L turbo version of our engine )

Of course this type of swap may cause problems if your state requires emissions tests...... but it's hard to say.... each state is different.

You could also probably find someone in the UK that built up an "all motor" 2.0L 16V ECOTEC who is wanting to sell all the parts.... it's fairly common for those guys to part out their cars rather than fix them due to strict MOT testing.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

so what would be the best thing to get next? piggyback? or high compression pistons? or cams (but idk where i would find those nor kknow anyone in the UK. lol