the million dollar question

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

logikal

the million dollar question

Post by logikal »

I hear left and right people saying removing the acwill cause ery noticeable gains, but then again I hear ppl also saying that it wont do shit. Now from what I know removing all the hoses and such is a good bit of wait, also switching to a smaller belt since there will be one less pulley to run should in theory add power. Now experienced fellows around here please chime in.
2005 Suzuki Reno:
~3" in/out Flowmaster cat to 2.25" exhaust
~custom headers
Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger »

There are very little parasitic drag when the AC compressor pulley is not engaged under load... Removing the entire system though would net some nifty weight savings though 8) The other reason is to be able to run a lightweight crank pulley without the ribbing for the AC belt to shed weight.

On the other hand, the A/C system usually disengages under certain condition ie: more than 80% throttle for example, near o-vacuum, etc... Most of the time the A/C system prevents parastic drag under full throttle conditions.
logikal

Post by logikal »

hmmm what you say makes sense, and if for anything the weight saving would be nice....I think Im gonna try this but before hand Ill dyno the car then take out the ac and see if there is any gain worth going through the effort of doing this. Either way it will clean up my engine bay and allow me to take out my cold air with out removing the fender.
2005 Suzuki Reno:
~custom headers
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

logikal wrote:hmmm what you say makes sense, and if for anything the weight saving would be nice....I think Im gonna try this but before hand Ill dyno the car then take out the ac and see if there is any gain worth going through the effort of doing this. Either way it will clean up my engine bay and allow me to take out my cold air with out removing the fender.
You must post the results! I'm really intrested to see this....I kinda need my a/c to live here in az though.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

what do you need ac when your doing 100mph down the high way.. just roll down a window and stick your head our like a dog.. :lol:
logikal

Post by logikal »

Hell Yeah ;) No but here in pittsburgh, I have never used the ac in any of my cars so I figure I did buy this car new so I can keep it longer then my Hondas(which only lasted a few months each) so I may as well slowly build it up.
2005 Suzuki Reno:
~custom headers