turbo in a 1.4 lanos?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanosguy

turbo in a 1.4 lanos?

Post by lanosguy »

Hi, I have been thinking about an engine swap, but I realised that insurance would be 2 expensive, so is it worth putting a turbo in a 1.4 lanos? I know its only a 1.4, but a renault 5 gt turbo is 2. Another worry is that the engine wont take it.
like the lanos
Stefan
Super

Re: turbo in a 1.4 lanos?

Post by Stefan »

lanosguy wrote:Hi, I have been thinking about an engine swap, but I realised that insurance would be 2 expensive, so is it worth putting a turbo in a 1.4 lanos? I know its only a 1.4, but a renault 5 gt turbo is 2. Another worry is that the engine wont take it.
Find out how much it'll be to insure your car with a modified 1.4 first, it may be more than a swap to a standard 2.0L! If it comes out cheaper then you can disscuss whats needed to turbo yours and get some rough prices. Don't forget that if you increase engine power you may need to fit bigger brakes as well so that may need to be taken into account too.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

yeah, i thought of that, but I am just worried if the engine can take it or not. Is there any way that I could sort of strengthen the engine so that it could take the power better...if the time comes
like the lanos
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Get Forged internals mainly. And stuff to cool down your engine. Intake/exhaust. I'm not going to say an engine can't take it... i wouldn't give it more than 5 to 7 psi at most... (stefan knows more) so take my post witha grain of salt.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I'd be afraid putting turbo on a 1.6L... not to mention 1.4L.... it would just worn out your engine very quickly
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

yeah thats what I was thinking...never mind, lol
like the lanos
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

how bad would it be getting the 1.8 daewoo engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could afford both. depending where you are (i'm guessing Europe) I'd check with Stefan and Wolf-Spirit about finding a useable swap.

RRM Turbo Kit
Some other goodies.
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

yeah, I am 18, and it costs ?2500 per year to insure me on a 1.6 3dr lanos...this is the cheapest quote I have had so far!!!

P.S. I live in the UK
P.P.S Can you regulate the psi gain in the boost from 0 to whatever, because that may be worth looking into so that it doesn't put the engine under too much strain.
like the lanos
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Off the top of my head. I do believe theirs standalone fuel management, and boost managers. but seriously throwing a turbo on a 1.4... you're just asking for disaster... one of the "Er's" lol said the 2.0l daewoo engine is just a bored 1.8... so you might ... just might be able to get away with doing like 5 psi on stock internals on the 1.8... i wouldn't turbo the 1.4.

Check into it. Since you're in the U.K. I'd PM stefan or wait for his response as to finding a 1.8l engine and the Insurance baffles.

I know the hard hit of insurance.. i'm 18 and from the U.S.

RRM Turbo Kit
Some other goodies.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Just don't tell the insurance companies about the swap.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

If you don't tell them make sure you don't wreck.

RRM Turbo Kit
Some other goodies.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

If you do wreck though... the insurance companies will pay to get your car to a stock condition... that's all.

Because that's what you'd be paying for. On the other hand, if you tell them about the swap, and you'd be paying extra money. Then if you wreck, they will pay to get your car to that swap condition. That's how it works I think.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

yes... but if they find out that your running something they aren't aware of.. .due to a wreck.. they get... bitchy i believe.

RRM Turbo Kit
Some other goodies.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Just to wet your whistle...........

Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
lanosguy

Post by lanosguy »

stefan...nice!!! :)

Yeah, if the insurance find out that I have done anything what-so-ever (including alloys) and not told them, they will not pay out for anything at all if I do wreck the car. If I do tell them, they will pay a certain amount based on my excess (i think - but I know that they do not pay the whole lot). Looks like I am stuck with a 1.4 for another 3 - 4 years, ***boo hoo* :cry: insurance won't touch me for ANY turbo, lol...gutted!!! it is ?2,077 to insure me on the 1.4...steep!!!

I suppose I could get the little things like induction kit, etc and then if I do have a crash, the car gets towed to my house and then I can replace the modded parts with the OEM parts, when the insurance guy comes to have a look at it, the car is stock...then when everything is mended, I can put the modded parts back on (this is assuming the modded parts are OK after the crash.

Having said this, I could just fix the car myself and build up my no claims bonus, lol.

BTW, any suggestions on the small mods (like the induction kit, new and uprated exhaust, etc) to give a bit more power, or a deeper sounding engine (still the 1.4, but just deeper sound)
like the lanos