1.5 Lanos Swap options in canada>> HELP NEEDED! UPDATE

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woodae
Super

From Nova Scotia

Post by woodae »

Thats where i live and that sounds awesome how much work is it to put in do u have details on ur engine swap.
julia

update

Post by julia »

ok...well i found a 87 turbo sunbird with 160kms. The breaks are shot and the car has been sitting under a tree for a year so i got the whole car for 175 bucks. The engine runs mint, quiet, no smoke. The turbo spools but there is no boost happening. I figure its the wastegate seize or something, i dunno , i don't care just found an OEM replacement Garnett turbo for 102.50 USD on ebay. My question is how do i turn up the boost on one of these oem's with the internal wastegates? what is safe on stock internals? what kind of numbers should i expect? an where can i get front sway bar end links in canada? cuz i broke both of them taking the old motor out. (dont ask)

Mint 2000 daewoo Lanos 1.5 HB with 99,000KMS and rod through the block- $200
1987 sunbird GT Turbo with 160,000 KMS and a bum turbo - $175
OEM replacement turbo- $202.50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Build Cost tally to date $577.50

oh and more importantly, i have no idea where to start with wiring, i'm doing all the work myself and i was hoping to get som input from the group to learn from others mistakes and hopefully not spend to much time messing with the wiring. any and all input woul be much appreciated. thanks all this is a sick forum i love how enthused everyone is about these cars, as you can see my the build cost tally, not many people in atlantic canada are. I cant wait to walk all over my friend's 17,000 dollar type R honduh with my thousand dollar woo. :badgrin:
Last edited by julia on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julia

Post by julia »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:
GsiTurbo wrote:If you want non-turbo setup, then 2.2 16V would be my choice. If you install Lemans 2.0 flywheel with clutch, UD pulley, CAI remove restrictions in the cylinder head and get nice 2" exhaust fabricated, you should get in the 150+ hp range.
But you will have a hard time finding a 2.2L with low mileage and my U20SED (Optra) allready makes 150hp at the crank with the UD pulley, CAI and exhaust.

Tom showed me a PM you sent him.... if you only want 150hp.... don't bother with the C20GET.... it's a bigger pain to wire up.

I think a low mileage U20SED is the perfect solution..... you should be able to pick them up for around $1000

Your from New Brunswick??? Is that correct?

go to http://www.car-part.com

Pick 2004 Chevrolet Optra and specify New Brunswick..... then pick engine

Bastarache's Auto Salvage (Shediac-River NB) has five U20SED's

26,894km for the second one and 34,116km for the third one..... both are listed at $1200 Canadian... I'm sure you could get them down to $1000

Another advantage of the U20SED is that the wiring harness and ECU are in the engine bay.... so wiring it up is really easy compared to the other models where the ECU is located inside the car (so the wiring for lights and stuff like that are mixed in with the ECU wiring... which is a pain to separate)

WOW.... I just checked out Nova Scotia and their selection is way better.

$1200 Canadian gets you one of three U20SED's with 4000km, 5031km or 9506km !!!!

Can't beat that deal.... I'd jump at one of these if they included the entire engine ( ECU, wiring loom, sensors, alternator, starter )

Some companies will give you just the engine.... others will give you everything.... so be carefull and ask about all the parts before you buy..... or you might end up having to buy all the other parts separate for way more money.

Hmmmm.... let's prove a point..... ummm.... well... if you go under 2000 Daewoo Leganza....you will find zero engines available in NB or NS..... hmmm... even Daewoo Nubira... nothing available in NB or NS.

The Optra engines go cheap because there is no need for them yet...... most people's Optra's are still under warranty..... I doubt there are more than a handfull of them that have pushed over the 100,000km mark.

Anyways...... I don't mean to be pushy...... I just think it's the best engine for you if your only looking for 150hp.... and you won't have to do a thing to the engine... no rebuild required.... just drop it in and wire it up.

Absolutely without at doubt.... it will fit into your lanos and bolt up to your transmission.

You will need a Pontiac Lemans 2.0L engine mount to make it work..... most Lemans came with the 1.6L (like the Lanos... which is based on the Lemans) so it might take a little while to find one.

Perhaps Tom Gsiturbo has a spare one he'd be willing to part with .... I could probably fabricate one out of aluminum for myself and send you the factory mount.

Chris,

you rock man, like seriously tho, waitta go the extra mile for a fellow daewoo lover, you have been a wealth of information an i really appreciate the time you have devoted to my build. thanks you so much for your help, although this probably isnt the last time ill be thanking you!
Last edited by julia on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
prefix

Post by prefix »

the junk yards dont keep cars more than 1991, only 15y and up. they need to make money with new stuff, thats the big junk yards. i look in the small 1 and still no. the small junk yards that dont have a website that i go have 6 2.2 motor and 4 2.0 motors. i got 2 2.2 motors off them. the 1.6 i have in my car now have 129hp on the wheels. no boost no noss. i got the 1.6 up to 180-190 on the wheels with boost and noss, but killed 4 motors, thats why i did c20 but didnt work out. now doing 2.2 but no boost. for power i have 1994 bmw 3.28 with m3 turbo motor 450hp on the weels. the daewoo was my 1th car thats why i still have it. i only use my bmw on the weekends. i only use the daewoo for only 4 to 5 days a week.
Nubira2.2
Expert

Re: update

Post by Nubira2.2 »

julia wrote:ok...well i found a 87 turbo sunbird with 160kms. The breaks are shot and the car has been sitting under a tree for a year so i got the whole car for 175 bucks. The engine runs mint, quiet, no smoke. The turbo spools but there is no boost happening. I figure its the wastegate seize or something, i dunno , i don't care just found an OEM replacement Garnett turbo for 102.50 USD on ebay. My question is how do i turn up the boost on one of these oem's with the internal wastegates? what is safe on stock internals? what kind of numbers should i expect? an where can i get front sway bar end links in canada? cuz i broke both of them taking the old motor out. (dont ask)

Mint 2000 daewoo Lanos 1.5 HB with 99,000KMS and rod through the block- $200
1987 sunbird GT Turbo with 160,000 KMS and a bum turbo - $175
OEM replacement turbo- $102.50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Build Cost tally to date $477.50

oh and more importantly, i have no idea where to start with wiring, i'm doing all the work myself and i was hoping to get som input from the group to learn from others mistakes and hopefully not spend to much time messing with the wiring. any and all input woul be much appreciated. thanks all this is a sick forum i love how enthused everyone is about these cars, as you can see my the build cost tally, not many people in atlantic canada are. I cant wait to walk all over my friend's 17,000 dollar type R honduh with my thousand dollar woo. :badgrin:
i wish i could find that kind of deals here in PR

if you want to raise the boost use a boost controller between the internal waste gate and the compressor housing hose

u can buy one or do one home made
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

damn, thats cheap

as for power figures.

stockish is 165hp and 175lb.ft and thats without intercooler, with a nice cooler you should be able to reach 200hp at about 12 psi
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
julia

Post by julia »

Efrain A. wrote:damn, thats cheap

as for power figures.

stockish is 165hp and 175lb.ft and thats without intercooler, with a nice cooler you should be able to reach 200hp at about 12 psi
ok siiiick, thats what im going to do. now as far as an intercooler and piping, who has done this? is there a kit to buy , universal or otherwise that has been tested and works? i know i nee a boost guage and maybe an air/fuel guage, but is this the boost controller upgrade to do (pic below)?:

ohh and.....WIRING?.... anyone? anyone?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I wired up my Lemans to work with the Sunbird loom, its not that hard, but time consuming. PM me your email address and I'll sent your way the diagram. Or, if you want to, send me your loom - I can strip it for you, and mark all the wires.

Tom

Post by julia »

GsiTurbo wrote:I wired up my Lemans to work with the Sunbird loom, its not that hard, but time consuming. PM me your email address and I'll sent your way the diagram. Or, if you want to, send me your loom - I can strip it for you, and mark all the wires.

Tom

do you have the lanos wiring diagram to go with it? or maybe the whole manual? Where do i splice the two of them? I emailed you back about this. thanks
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have the Lanos 1.6L diagrams and the entire Sunbird service manual..... I will have to try and dig up a 1.5L SOHC diagram.... not sure if I have one.

Hmmm..... I wonder if it might be easier to simply use the 1.5L SOHC engine management system..... hmmm... on second thought.... probably easier to splice in the sunbird ECU.

I wonder about Speedometer..... that's one thing the Sunbird ECU won't be able to help you with.

I suppose you could allways keep the 1.5L ECU to take care of certain functions such as the Speedometer.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
julia

88 sunbird swap

Post by julia »

Hey all, Question....

we are ready to drop it in but we can't figure out how the front mount bolts in. do we take the one front 1.5 block and bolt it to the sunbird block? cuz we tried and the holes dont line up. Do we use the sunbird front engine mount? if so how does it attach to the lanos engine bay? thanks in advance. i cant wait to get this thing in.!!!!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh crap.... forgot about that.....sorry

Ok..... what you need is a mount not found on the Lanos or Sunbird.

The mount you need is from a 2.0L Pontiac Lemans or 2.0L Passport Optima (both are the same cars.... just different years )

I can't remember all the years available.... I think it was 1988 to 1992.... and then there is one version in 1993 but I think it became an Asuna or something like that)

Basicly.... the Lanos is based on this older Lemans/Optima chassis ( better know as a Vauxhall Astra MK2 or Opel Kadette E )

So.... the Lemans/Optima came with the 1.6L 8V most of the time (this engine is directly related to to your 1.5L SOHC and the USA 1.6L DOHC )

But...... in the GSi/GSe versions came with a 2.0L SOHC which is the naturally aspirated brother to the C20GET 2.0L 8V Turbo.

This 2.0L Lemans mount is absolutely necissary as it won't fit any other way.

I think I only have one mount.......... I don't know how many Tom (GsiTurbo) has.... It shouldn't be too hard to copy the mount if you can't find one locally.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
julia

Post by julia »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:Oh crap.... forgot about that.....sorry

Ok..... what you need is a mount not found on the Lanos or Sunbird.

The mount you need is from a 2.0L Pontiac Lemans or 2.0L Passport Optima (both are the same cars.... just different years )

I can't remember all the years available.... I think it was 1988 to 1992.... and then there is one version in 1993 but I think it became an Asuna or something like that)

Basicly.... the Lanos is based on this older Lemans/Optima chassis ( better know as a Vauxhall Astra MK2 or Opel Kadette E )

So.... the Lemans/Optima came with the 1.6L 8V most of the time (this engine is directly related to to your 1.5L SOHC and the USA 1.6L DOHC )

But...... in the GSi/GSe versions came with a 2.0L SOHC which is the naturally aspirated brother to the C20GET 2.0L 8V Turbo.

This 2.0L Lemans mount is absolutely necissary as it won't fit any other way.

I think I only have one mount.......... I don't know how many Tom (GsiTurbo) has.... It shouldn't be too hard to copy the mount if you can't find one locally.
Ok so ive been looking locally and across the country and no luck. I cant find one anywhere. How much and how soon can i perhaps get on if you guys have one? thanks alot
julia

Post by julia »

Well Heres a pic of what we're working with. The donor motor and a new turbo that were attempting to hook up.
Please post any positive/negative feedback!!!
I put on a new timing belt and water pump. I think we've got it timed right...take a look. Any and all comments/opinions appreciated.
Note How the block we got doesnt have the correct oil return hole in it. Looks like someone changed the bottom end at sum point, probably when they converted the donor car to non turbo...bummer!
Ohh well, for the oil inlet we decided to tap into the 19mm (3/4) plug just above the oil filter on the back side of the motor. We think (hope) there should be adequate oil pressure there.
We put a T in it between the line we ran and the OEM line coming from the turbo. The idea being to mount an oil pressure guage later to know the pressure going into the turbo.
For the water inlet we had to tap into the Coolant Housing like so...
Let us know what you think. Its pretty well ready to go in minus the front mount and were finishing up the return lines for the oil and water after i finish this post. We're kinda flying by our pants and Help from everyone is really truely appreciated\!!
julia

Post by julia »

anybody?!? :( :cry: :shock: :roll: