1.5 Lanos Swap options in canada>> HELP NEEDED! UPDATE

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

julia

1.5 Lanos Swap options in canada>> HELP NEEDED! UPDATE

Post by julia »

I currently have a 2001 lanos 1.5 5 spd which has given me zero problems! I just picked up a 2000 Lanos 1.5 with a blown engine and i am wondering what my best option for a swap is in canada? I was looking at the 2.2 Leganza, but Im not sure if I have to switch the tranny also. Any help or advise would be appreciated, no one in Canada seems to know much about them since theyre such an odd car here.
Last edited by julia on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

u dont have to switch trannys :D
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
julia

Post by julia »

Thanks :) Anyother advice before I start ripping stuff out? I want to make sure the leganza 2.2 will fit without too many problems before i go and by another parts car!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

With out a doubt.... 2.0L 8V turbo (C20GET) from an 87 to 91 Sunbird GT Turbo is the best bang for the buck.

Many guys can't do this swap due to the fact that it's an older OBDI emission system....... do you have emission testing where your from??

The 2.2L is lots of work for very little return power wise. (in my opinion)

Don't get me wrong.... I have a Leganza 2.2L engine in my garage waiting for a high power turbo build up..... but it will certainly cost way more than a C20GET.

The C20GET will walk all over a 2.2L powered Lanos.

As far as Lanos's are concerned myself and GsiTurbo can answer any question you might have.... we both have quite a bit of experience with the chassis because it's identical to our Passport Optima/Pontiac Lemans..... I had a 2002 1.5L SOHC Lanos for a couple years and I was going to drop in a C20GET (which I still have).... but then the Chev Optra5 came out so I sold my Lanos to a friend (Optra5 is a Daewoo Lacetti ).... but I recently purchased a 2001 Lanos from the USA and I'm negotiating the purchase of another Lanos out in Eastern Canada so I will have both a 1.5L SOHC and 1.6L DOHC fairly soon (if all goes well)

Transmissions will work with all the main Daewoo engines 1.5L, 1.6L, 2.0L, 2.2L

Do you have an automatic or manual?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
prefix

Post by prefix »

Lemans motor is good but thats a old motor, not easy to get one working 100% or 60%. I know because, i have 2 motors. got one to do the swap, just need a head, got the 2th motor for the head. got it the run, on the test run oil was low, looked in to it and the block was crack. 2.2 is baeter more parts. my 2.2 is done from the machiner, going to install soon as im done helping my brother installing his rsx-s motor in to 1997 civic.
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

2.2L Turbo will go over C20GET :)

i know ... extra money

but even NA the 2.2 is fun
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
julia

Post by julia »

Thanks for the help, I will post some pics once we get started!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The C20GET allready has forged 8:1 compression pistons..... and the bottom end is good for 330hp to 350hp in stock condition.

My statement was that the stock 2.2L (naturally aspirated) would have it's ass kicked by a stock 2.0L C20GET ( factory turbo)

So.... sure the 2.2L will beat the 2.0L at the same boost levels..... but it will cost twice as much to put together.

Like I said before.... I have a 2.2L..... but aftermarket parts must be "custom made" because there is no aftermarket for the 2.2L

For the 2.0L..... you can get forged rods, forged pistons, steel crankshafts, two different types of 16V cylinder heads, two different types of 8V heads... and much more.

As far as the C20GET being an "older engine" and thus less reliable.... you don't know what your talking about.... you would have to rebuild a 2.2L in exactly the same manner as the 2.0L..... so age has absolutely ZERO to do with the choice..... there is just as much likelyhood of finding a 2.2L with a cracked block as a C20GET.

If your simply picking up C20GET's from the scrap yard and then putting them in your car..... you will never find one in mint condition.... it will require rebuild.

You will also have a hard time finding a low mileage 2.2L.... most are well over 60,000 miles..... they should also be rebuilt.... especially with the addition of a turbo.

The good thing about the C20GET is that they are dirt cheap..... and there were probably 20 times more Sunbirds made than Daewoo's.... so there is more to choose from.

Even if you picked up the C20GET just for the block and then used a 16V head from a european C20LET or Daewoo T20SED you would still be in good shape.

Honestly.... if you don't want to rebuild.... don't consider any of the Daewoo 2.0L/2.2L engines..... go directly to a Chevrolet Optra 2.0L engine (U20SED).... you should be able to find one under $1000 with low mileage..... I bought a Suzuki Forenza engine from the USA for roughly $300USD and it only had 9K miles on it.

My plan for the U20SED is to replace the conecting rods and pistons, install a Cometic MLS head gasket, install cast iron turbo manifold (allready on the engine), upgrade the injectors (possibly Astra VXR injectors), convert it to a "return" fuel system and remove portions of the stock wiring and install an aftermarket engine management system.

In the end...... the engine choice comes down to how much money you have to spend and how much power you want.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

lets not forget that putting a 2.2 in a lanos requires front engine mount modding as well... if you can slap a factory turboed 2.0 with no hussle then why go for a 2.2 and try to mod the engine bay then spend a lot trying to turbo and tune it?

my 2 cents

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
prefix

Post by prefix »

where your from, there is alot of motors. but i live in toronto, not a alot of c20 to get, i look for it and i need to ship it all, for me there is alot of 2.2. where i got my motor. the guy saying he is from canada, im just helping not to go in to so much stuff, the money the ship the stuff and fine the stuff. thats why i did the c20, i no its more power than the 2.2. if i can fine alot of stuff for the c20 in canada, i will do it one more time, i know what your saying, im 100% with you, but look what i did to fine it. i call alot of people and alot of people where just selling the car, to buy a car just for the motor and geting it home. the 2th motor i got i bot the car and the car was just to go to the junk. and i machine the c20 it was all done, i think it was a small crack and got big.
thats my 2 cents
prefix

Post by prefix »

I think just look at all of your options, if you can get the c20 easy do it. i think just cause i live in toronto its not a easy thing to do. i dont know where your from, thats toronto 2 cents
julia

Post by julia »

Ok , another question. As far as engine internals go, on either engine what needs to be done to get reliable boost? i.e- not blowing up. I know it depends on how far you want to go, and if so whats the best bang for your buck as far as mods go, for either builds?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I know more of the options have been discussed here. I am just going to add 5 cents.

If you want non-turbo setup, then 2.2 16V would be my choice. If you install Lemans 2.0 flywheel with clutch, UD pulley, CAI remove restrictions in the cylinder head and get nice 2" exhaust fabricated, you should get in the 150+ hp range. Also, since 2.2 is good in terms of torque, the entire setup in the Lanos will be excellent. Especially with the close ratio D16 gearbox. You will need to get centre engine mount fabricated if you want to keep A/C and PS. Otherwise, you can use existing motor mount, but you will have to give up power steering, which is good for another 4-6hp or so :) Ideally you would get Nubira 2.0 16V wiring loom with ECM, as its separate from the chassis wiring. In Leganza, engine wiring is combined with the chassis and auto gearbox, hence you deal with A LOT of wires to sort through.

For forced induction, there is another option that has not been discussed yet. If you bottom end is still in good shape, I would simply change the rings and bearings (if in good shape). 1.5 OHC comes with lower compression pistons... you get 1.6 DOHC cylinder head and swap it on. You end up with small 16V turbocharged motor. Kinky can help you get the manifold (cast turbo), and with smaller turbo like T25, it would be a lot of fun to drive. You would use piggy back of some sort to control fuelling and/or ingnition under boost. You would run safely about 160 hp and plenty of torque.

Finally, for smaller power upgrade, get the 2.0 8V motor from 94+ Sunbird with MPFI. It made about 110hp and 100lbs torqe (. You would run 50 shot of NOS on top of that :)

In any way, with any sort of swap you should consider uprating your suspension and brakes. I would recommend using at least Lanos 16 DOHC front rotors/calipers (256mm rotors).

Tom
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

prefix wrote:I think just look at all of your options, if you can get the c20 easy do it. i think just cause i live in toronto its not a easy thing to do. i dont know where your from, thats toronto 2 cents
That's wierd that you don't have very many C20GET's in Toronto..... there should be hundreds of 87 to 91 Sunbird GT's kicking around in the scrap yards.

Out here in Edmonton I go to 2 or 3 scrap yards each month and I typcically find at least one C20GET (most of the time missing the T25 turbo ).... so I'd say that I see 10 to 12 of them each year and I don't go to the yards very often.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

GsiTurbo wrote:If you want non-turbo setup, then 2.2 16V would be my choice. If you install Lemans 2.0 flywheel with clutch, UD pulley, CAI remove restrictions in the cylinder head and get nice 2" exhaust fabricated, you should get in the 150+ hp range.
But you will have a hard time finding a 2.2L with low mileage and my U20SED (Optra) allready makes 150hp at the crank with the UD pulley, CAI and exhaust.

Tom showed me a PM you sent him.... if you only want 150hp.... don't bother with the C20GET.... it's a bigger pain to wire up.

I think a low mileage U20SED is the perfect solution..... you should be able to pick them up for around $1000

Your from New Brunswick??? Is that correct?

go to http://www.car-part.com

Pick 2004 Chevrolet Optra and specify New Brunswick..... then pick engine

Bastarache's Auto Salvage (Shediac-River NB) has five U20SED's

26,894km for the second one and 34,116km for the third one..... both are listed at $1200 Canadian... I'm sure you could get them down to $1000

Another advantage of the U20SED is that the wiring harness and ECU are in the engine bay.... so wiring it up is really easy compared to the other models where the ECU is located inside the car (so the wiring for lights and stuff like that are mixed in with the ECU wiring... which is a pain to separate)

WOW.... I just checked out Nova Scotia and their selection is way better.

$1200 Canadian gets you one of three U20SED's with 4000km, 5031km or 9506km !!!!

Can't beat that deal.... I'd jump at one of these if they included the entire engine ( ECU, wiring loom, sensors, alternator, starter )

Some companies will give you just the engine.... others will give you everything.... so be carefull and ask about all the parts before you buy..... or you might end up having to buy all the other parts separate for way more money.

Hmmmm.... let's prove a point..... ummm.... well... if you go under 2000 Daewoo Leganza....you will find zero engines available in NB or NS..... hmmm... even Daewoo Nubira... nothing available in NB or NS.

The Optra engines go cheap because there is no need for them yet...... most people's Optra's are still under warranty..... I doubt there are more than a handfull of them that have pushed over the 100,000km mark.

Anyways...... I don't mean to be pushy...... I just think it's the best engine for you if your only looking for 150hp.... and you won't have to do a thing to the engine... no rebuild required.... just drop it in and wire it up.

Absolutely without at doubt.... it will fit into your lanos and bolt up to your transmission.

You will need a Pontiac Lemans 2.0L engine mount to make it work..... most Lemans came with the 1.6L (like the Lanos... which is based on the Lemans) so it might take a little while to find one.

Perhaps Tom Gsiturbo has a spare one he'd be willing to part with .... I could probably fabricate one out of aluminum for myself and send you the factory mount.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos