307whp 'Woo! (well, kind of...)

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pontiacjeff

307whp 'Woo! (well, kind of...)

Post by pontiacjeff »

I finally achieved my goal: 300whp from a 2.0L GET. Using the Daewoo/Euro-Ecotec DOHC head on top of my fully-built GET bottom end, I put together a custom turbo kit using a used Greddy/Mitsu TD06/20G and a home-built log manfold. This was way back in early 2004. I never really finished it due to transmission issues. The TH-125 just couldn't hold a 1-2 shift, or fullpower 2nd gear dyno pulls. After a short time tuning on stock GET fuel and ecm, I ended around 240whp on 16psi.

I walked away out of frustration and the car sat from April 04 til last month. Over the last year, I have been planning the next iteration of the car.

Oh, for those who don't know me or the car, I am Jeff Ianitello, owner Engineered Performance in Atlanta, GA, USA. I work on anything GM. The car is a 1988 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4-door, factory C20GET turbo automatic.

So, I have been acquiring parts. I picked up a nearly complete Getrag 5-speed changeover. I bought a used Acura turbo header for 10.00 and cut the flange off. I made a 'woo exh flange and heated and bent the tubes until they lined up. I am now using a turbo I originally bought for a V-6 project. It's a Garrett T04E, Super 60 trim compressor and rather large .84 a/r T3 turbine. I think it's what Turbonetics calls the Stage IV trim. It's pretty big.

Anyway, no more boring stuff. It is kind of lazy... full boost comes on at 4200. It pulls hard to 6500. With a mix of 100octane unleaded race gas and 93octane pump gas, it made 307whp @ 6500rpm and 290wtq @ 5200rpm on 16psi boost. It's pretty narrow powerband, but the car will be used for bracket racing, so that's really all the engine will see. I run the intake cam one full tooth retarded to decrease overlap.

I run a remote distributor to enable the use of the stock ecm. 42.5# injectors, MSD 6AL, 3" exhaust with no muffler, Aeromotive FPR, Quad4 t.b, 4-tube header, TiAL 38mm w.g, above mentioned turbo on 16psi.
I am planning a set of cam gears (verniers) from QED in the UK. I want to advance the exh about 5-deg and retard the intake another 5 to virtually eliminate overlap. This will help build boost quicker and keep it in the cyl at higher rpms.

I'll post a dyno graph as soon as I get it emailed to me.

Here's a link to the original 'Woo build-up back in '04.

http://www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/88TGA.html

Follow all the links to see the engine build. Hope you enjoy the reading and pictures (kind of crappy with an old Polaroid digi-cam)
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

Oh, I ran it at the Pontiac Nationals two weeks ago with no tuning and new clutch (slipping). It ran a 13.52 @ 103mph. I am running it Sunday and hoping for hi-12s @ 110.

Oh, the dyno runs were in .94 OD 4th gear. I expect the hp number to be slightly higher and at higher rpms if run in 3rd. The tq would be a little lower in 3rd. I was running 140mph on the dyno in 4th at 6500rpm!
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

The FMIC is a modified Starion/Conquest i/c. It is very efficient, even at this power level. Even after the 307hp run, you could grab and hold the upper i/c pipe with bare hands. MAT was under 100degF.
barmanjay

Re: 307whp 'Woo! (well, kind of...)

Post by barmanjay »

pontiacjeff wrote:.........I run a remote distributor to enable the use of the stock ecm........

Whats this remote distributor you speak of?

pics? description?

definitely peaked my interest!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

its a controle that lets him controle the timing from inside the car

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
barmanjay

Post by barmanjay »

daewoomofo wrote:its a controle that lets him controle the timing from inside the car
How does something like that work?

I'm very new to the 20GET/LT3 motors.

in the past I've been a hardcore gm 660 kinda guy.

Just did an 8v sohc turbo GET/LT3 swap into my beater and holy frig it goes like snot on a 3yr old with bad allergies! This car will be going to my gf when the body work is finished - so much for a beater :D

I'm going to do this swap into my baby seen here:

While googling these motors I came across a grand am forum which led me here to you guys! and,... this thread!

now I can't have my gf faster than me and this 16v dohc hybrid has peaked my interest.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

it works with the ignition box (i think) and it will coltrole the timeing. kinda like this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku. hope that clears it up for you

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

pontiacjeff wrote:I run a remote distributor to enable the use of the stock ecm.
this is what he reffers with remote distributor

http://www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/DOHCswap3.html

jeff, check the link for the dohcswap in your main page. the link is broken.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
barmanjay

Post by barmanjay »

Efrain A. wrote:
pontiacjeff wrote:I run a remote distributor to enable the use of the stock ecm.
this is what he reffers with remote distributor

http://www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/DOHCswap3.html

jeff, check the link for the dohcswap in your main page. the link is broken.
Wow,.. that's exactly what I was thinking too.

I guess it wouldn't matter what size pulley you use on either (dis/cam) as long as they are the same size. It seems the distributor needs to be moving the exact same as the cam.
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

The remote-mount distributor is a distributor that is remotely mounted on the engine. On the LT3, the dist is mounted to the back of the head and drives off the cam. On the T20SED, there IS NO dist. My design enables me to run the LT3 ecm, which required a distributor.

Here are some better pictures and the dyno graph from last wed. The power absolutley freaked me out. I was expecting more like 250-260whp on 15psi and expected to have to turn up the boost for 300whp. That turbo is awesome!Image
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

why 2 BOV's ?

congrats nice project
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

Nubira2.2 wrote:why 2 BOV's ?

congrats nice project
Thanks! One bov was not enough to bleed off the boost. It still farted thru the turbo. The Greddy bov is cheap, but not very big. Besides, it looks cool as hell!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barmanjay

Post by barmanjay »

That is incredible!!!!!

Does 2 bov's sound any different?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Great to hear you made that kind of power Jeff.

I would not have guessed that you'd make that much power either.... I wonder what your 93/100 Octane mixture ended up at.... was it a 50/50 mixture?

Did you keep the stock 8:1 compression??

I wonder where the limit would be for 91 Octane... many of the SRT's are running close to 300hp on 91 Octane (they are also 8:1 comp)

Did you throw in a stock Getrag 282 ??
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
c02one

Post by c02one »

hey jeff did u have that turbo manifold custom made, and did u have to pocket the pistons furter since u used the T20SED head on the C20GET/LT3 block. i presume u used the crank,pistons, and conrods from the C20GET/LT3.
what other details can u provide us readers im sure some of use would be intrested i included.